Can Bloggers be taken as "real" news

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Can Bloggers be taken as "real" news

Post by phuketrichard »

This has been something i am concerned with, there a few posters here and on other forums and many people that take blog entries as "real" truthful news
BUT i dont follow that path. A blogger is not responsible for his blogs, he can post anything he wants, he may quote sources but never needs revel said sources and even if they are real sources, these sources usually have an agenda.

The biggest problem i see is people tend NOT to question the accuracy of their reporting. Blogs give an impression of authenticity, the information is more democratic and honest cause it comes from the people, NOT from Big media.

But i feel this is BS, ( many of course will disagree), the new york times, BBC, Aljazera are all for profit, but they are 1,000 x more objective than most blogs, they are accountable for what they report. There's very little, if any, accountability online, you can say, post what you want, be it the truth, what you perceive as a truth or an outright lie, (9/11 conspiracies, aliens, holocaust denials, racism) all thrive because of blogs and there are not being held accountable for what they say. PLUS all follow up posts from various posters hide behind a made up name, so it never gets back to them and if they use tor a vpn, post from a pubic wifi, nobody really knows who they really are. Many bloggers are not objective, they have an agenda and use their blogs for such.

They take on an authenticity when some weirdo at a cocktail party doesn't have when he sprouts off that Israel and the cia were behind the trade tower attacks, nobody buys that
BUT since its written down and people read it, they take it as gods truth and the more people that post follow ups on the blog, agreeing with the blogger (and who wouldn't agree with him as ur following HIS blog so you must agree with him, otherwise why follow him?) give it even move authenticity.

For me i will take news reporting from official news sources, not just one, but many, so i can see the truth. Not believe some blogger who clams he has inside sources.

as to claims a blogger was correct on such an such story, fuck, even a broken clock is right 2x /day
:beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Can Bloggers be taken as "real" news

Post by phuketrichard »

i am surprised no one has any views on this>
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:42 pm i am surprised no one has any views on this>
Maybe its because only a certain type of person reads and pays any attention to vloggers. Only 50% of the world has so far joined Fakenewsbook.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:42 pm i am surprised no one has any views on this>
I am wondering a lot about the deepfakes and autobots and the current cyber warfare capabilities.

It takes psychological warfare to another level.

Because it's coming through a screen, I sometimes think that the whole thing is not real and entire events can be manipulated or created.

My fascination with all this started when I thought about the drone pilots in the US who 'saw' a target and hit it... It could be that the 'target' was another thing and place entirely and they would not know it.

Then I came to other events that could be entirely fabricated by Nation States.

A bit like north Korea where everything you see or hear is through the State Controlled media or internet or the school indoctrination or the speakers on the corner blaring out today's propaganda, so you believe that's all there is.

Or the Chinese lady I was speaking to who never knew about the 40 million+ dead under chairman Mao or the Tiananmen Square incident.. She truly had no idea

1984 on steroids...

I would say it IS possible...
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

If you don’t read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you're misinformed.

News is pretty much the entertainment business, it's the attention that's being entertained regardless of the content being entertaining.

I can enjoy a good conspiracy theory but short of reading/listening/watching for entertainment value what does a person do, is it affecting me? probably, can I do anything about it? probably not.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:19 pm If you don’t read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you're misinformed.

News is pretty much the entertainment business, it's the attention that's being entertained regardless of the content being entertaining.

I can enjoy a good conspiracy theory but short of reading/listening/watching for entertainment value what does a person do, is it affecting me? probably, can I do anything about it? probably not.
:lol:
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

The main stream media..cnn.bbc.msnbc..on and on are complete fake bullshit untrustworthy propaganda machines. The new york times has a long history of this...along with news agencies for generations.
You can't believe jack shit you see or hear these days.
Nothing new.
Bloggers and twitter just add more fuel to the bullshit fire.
When you are handing out Pulitzer prizes to reporters who crafted fake news that is completely disproven and there is no retraction or apology; you know it is a rigged system.
When a headline and front page story turns out to be total bullshit you may see a retraction buried on page 20 down the road.
Saying people hide behind nom de plumes while REAL news is put out by people with their reputations and careers on the line is just plain naive.
Even the Pulitzer prize is named after a yellow journalism master.
REMEMBER THE MAINE!!!!!!
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

BR549 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:49 am The main stream media..cnn.bbc.msnbc..on and on are complete fake bullshit untrustworthy propaganda machines. The new york times has a long history of this...along with news agencies for generations.
Nothing new.
When you are handing out Pulitzer prizes to reporters who crafted fake news that is completely disproven and there is no retraction or apology; you know it is a rigged system.
When a headline and front page story turns out to be total bullshit you may see a retraction buried on page 20 down the road.
Saying people hide behind nom de plumes while REAL news is put out by people with their reputations and careers on the line is just plain naive.
REMEMBER THE MAINE!!!!!!
yep - most of the US MSM News is anti-western bullshit. Or PC propaganda destroying the nuclear family unit. The BBC is not far behind. The papers are more devoted to unrealistic glamor demi-gods' slutty plastic lives instead of true heros like magellan and shackleton and gagarin and armstrong. Puke factor 11
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Mishmash wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:14 am
BR549 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:49 am The main stream media..cnn.bbc.msnbc..on and on are complete fake bullshit untrustworthy propaganda machines. The new york times has a long history of this...along with news agencies for generations.
Nothing new.
REMEMBER THE MAINE!!!!!!
yep - most of the US MSM News is anti-western bullshit. Or PC propaganda destroying the nuclear family unit. The BBC is not far behind. The papers are more devoted to unrealistic glamor demi-gods' slutty plastic lives instead of true heros like magellan and shackleton and gagarin and armstrong. Puke factor 11
When people like the Kardashians get more column inches than real-life world news, then we all know that the world is f****d. I think it was Warhol that said something about 15 minutes of fame. It seems that nowadays, everyone wants to be famous. Some people, it seems, are famous for being famous. Whatever that means. With shows like Love Island, BGT, X-Factor, The Voice et al, there seems to be a short-cut, as opposed to real work, a living, a career. Bloggers and Vloggers I count amongst the same people. They don't want to work, they want clicks and sponsorships and likes. It's a dangerous road.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

The main stream media..cnn.bbc.msnbc..on and on are complete fake bullshit untrustworthy propaganda machines. The new york times has a long history of this...along with news agencies for generations.
most of the US MSM News is anti-western bullshit. Or PC propaganda destroying the nuclear family unit. The BBC is not far behind.
OK; you all have established where you dont get ur news
so where do you get it? Word of mouth? CEO?

I use BBC, Aljazera, RT News, Asia news, Washington post, (Cnn, Fox are so slanted its comical)
Follow a few bloggers for asian news + the irrawaddy, Bangkok Post, Thai visa, Thaiger and my local phuket news

ALL taken with a grain of salt
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic