SIM card for cell phone. Suggestions?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: SIM card for cell phone. Suggestions?

Post by ExPenhMan »

^^^I got that CC, but others?

Anyway, when I have mobile package and technical issues with my Cellcard service, I go to the main HQ on Sihanouk, between 51 and 63. I sometimes find out good stuff there and make changes accordingly.
The Suk Straggler
BANNED

Post by The Suk Straggler »

Is this thread still accurate and is there a clear front runner between Smart Mobitel and Cellcard? I’ll be based in PP but may make some trips to countryside too.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I have been using Smart because there are a lot of Smart shops, so it is easy to get a sim. I also bought my last phone from a Smart shop. I use this phone in Cambodia and in Australia.

I dont know about prices. You may want to search each company's web site and compare prices. The way they explain prices may not always be clear.

You may want to use whatever most of your friends use, as you get cheaper calls to the same network.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
The Suk Straggler
BANNED

Post by The Suk Straggler »

Ok thanks. I have no friends yet ... maybe I’ll look at smart
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

The Suk Straggler wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:20 am I have no friends yet
Learn Khmer and you can make a lot of friends.

Of course it takes time to learn Khmer.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Upon entering the country, I went to Smart, and they wanted to register with my passport ID for a sim.

Last time my lady got me a $1 sim and she didn't have to show any id. It occurred to me to give any bum (or give your tuk tuk driver a few bucks to get you one) on the street a few bucks to get you one, even if they have to show their ID, you are anon, if that's important to you.

The cool thing was, this time I got a $5 scratch card, and it cost $1 a week for 1 GB of fast data and the rest unlimited, which automatically repeated. So that $5 scratch card lasted me more than a month.

One more reason to love Cambodia.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Be careful, SMART eats data out in the provinces. $1 gone for 30 minutes of Facebook. $5 card lasted about 2 days. Needed another $5 card to last out the wedding ceremony.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

newkidontheblock wrote:Be careful, SMART eats data out in the provinces. $1 gone for 30 minutes of Facebook. $5 card lasted about 2 days. Needed another $5 card to last out the wedding ceremony.
Not here.
Smart for $1 /week, can watch movies alllll day! Never used up my data.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Exactly, it's not really fast but crazily cheap.
Use the plan they are advertising on these big signs all over town.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:20 am Be careful, SMART eats data out in the provinces. $1 gone for 30 minutes of Facebook. $5 card lasted about 2 days. Needed another $5 card to last out the wedding ceremony.
You can type in numbers on you phone to get various plans.

https://www.smart.com.kh/get-smart/plans/powerplus/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic