A Very Sad Expat Story in Kampot - BUT with Happy Ending

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: A Very Sad Expat Story in Kampot

Post by frizzie77 »

There's a video with the Alaskan man and apparently there's no hesitation to name the Cambodian party involved:

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Kampot): According to social media, an account named Peng Vannak News posted that :
" on January 08, 2020, an American man, GEORGE ALLEN O'BRIEN, who held an American passport, asked me for advice about a Kampot authority, named as Ouk Panha, who he trusted to buy the land on his behalf. Because the foreign man was unable to buy land in Cambodia, he asked Ouk Panha to be the Khmer representative for the property ownership. But, now, Ouk Panha, says that all the land belongs to him.

After checking all the documents, tomorrow I will take him to file the complaint at Kampot court to ask for justice for him. "
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:12 pm Cambodia News, (Kampot): According to social media, an account named Peng Vannak News posted that :
" on January 08, 2020, an American man, GEORGE ALLEN O'BRIEN, who held an American passport, asked me for advice about a Kampot authority, named as Ouk Panha, who he trusted to buy the land on his behalf. Because the foreign man was unable to buy land in Cambodia, he asked Ouk Panha to be the Khmer representative for the property ownership. But, now, Ouk Panha, says that all the land belongs to him.

After checking all the documents, tomorrow I will take him to file the complaint at Kampot court to ask for justice for him. "
Technically Ouk Panha might well be correct.....
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

offroadscholar wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:34 pm
pczz wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:33 am i don't get this. Does the guy have no evidence and no witness and no documents to show he gave the agent any money? if he has then there are "breach of trust" laws in Cambodia and a verbal contract in front of witnesses is all thats needed because many khmer cannot read and write. Any land transaction should eb done via the village chief who provides the temporary land transfer documents until title comes through
In the vid posted live today it seems the guy has bank statements to show the money trail.
Not sure what else he's got in writing as most of the vid was in khmer.
He did mention he's already been through the courts and got nowhere.
Its tricky because its illegal in the first place under the constitution for a foreigner to buy land.
So now they resort to a social media campaign.....
My understanding is breach of trust is a criminal offence, not a civil one. the content of the contract is irrelevant, just the fact it was not carried out. I have seen reports of similar cases involving khmer where someoneoffered to get someone a governemnt job for a fee, which is also illegal, so i would defo consider a complaint to the police and see if they can negotiate a settlement with a 3 way split :-)
SueOriginal
Tourist
Latvia

Post by SueOriginal »

The hard facts are that they guy tried to do an illegal thing - to circumvent a ban on foreigners to buy a land.

Now his cheat had not worked out, as he was cheated himself.

There is no legal recourse for upholding rights that are in essence illegal.

By making an opposite case - trying to approach police etc., on the ground that he arranged a scheme to circumvent the legal ban, and he wants now to enforce the scheme, his lawyers, advisers and himself, are looking, put it mildly, as fools. Fortunately, to my knowledge, there is no criminal liability for him to trying to cheat the land ownership rules.

He instead should better focus on that what can be possible rescued, namely, to look into circumstances of wiring money to Ouk Panha, and whether there is a claim of unjustified enrichment possible, i.e. when money are sent without any legal arrangement, or if there was a contract for moving money, what does it stipulates, and whether this contract is valid at all, as it is a part of the scheme - invalidating a contract would possibly turn a money movement into an unjustified enrichment claim and would provide a path of possible recovery of funds.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

This could open a whole can of worms for KoW if it is ruled in the plaintiff's favor.
Still here, in country...
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Jerry Atrick wrote:I just see Chara's jockey virtue signalling upon her behalf (she doesn't write English this well).

Feel sorry for the old guy, but if you give all your money to a third party with no contract or agreement, what can you possibly expect?
That. Sucks for him.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The social media coverage has brought the case to the attention of an official in Kampot, who has said he will investigate.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

i cannot feel sorry for anyone who gives there money to a khmer,might as well burn it.
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

PIEMAN wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:06 pm i cannot feel sorry for anyone who gives there money to a khmer,might as well burn it.
That's a very weird thing to say, considering that that you were deported or left the KOW under strange circumstances.
I'm not judging and dont care btw. BUT this reveals true motives I think: quote:
i cannot feel sorry for anyone who gives there money to a khmer,might as well burn it.
Im sad for you frankly, have a nice life in Vietnam.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic