Whats happened to the internet

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Whats happened to the internet

Post by Mishmash »

pczz wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:25 pm I hope so. its total crap now. Funny thing is I have metfone cable and metfone 4g. Most of the time the 4g is acceptable when the landline is down.Tried changing to google dns servers and it helps about ha;lf the time
I have Opennet - 10Mb/s fiber optic 16$ a month [free install and Wifi router] (you get 20 Mb/s at night) plus access to on demand videos for free (although the library has not been updated for a couple of months) The connection is good enough for a pirate film download in 20 mins.I changed to Cellcard 4g - my calls and sms and internet, Line Viber WeChat Whatsapp and banking) is 4$ a month using the exchange. Metfone doesn't cut the mustard anymore.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Mishmash wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:28 am
pczz wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:25 pm I hope so. its total crap now. Funny thing is I have metfone cable and metfone 4g. Most of the time the 4g is acceptable when the landline is down.Tried changing to google dns servers and it helps about ha;lf the time
I have Opennet - 10Mb/s fiber optic 16$ a month [free install and Wifi router] (you get 20 Mb/s at night) plus access to on demand videos for free (although the library has not been updated for a couple of months) The connection is good enough for a pirate film download in 20 mins.I changed to Cellcard 4g - my calls and sms and internet, Line Viber WeChat Whatsapp and banking) is 4$ a month using the exchange. Metfone doesn't cut the mustard anymore.
i think we are about to go through what happened in the uk. More people subscribe. Company a gets slow so people swith to company b which then gets slow. After a few runs through all providers they all start updating their equipment (hopefully) Mins you, if opennet is noit having a problems sort of throws out the excuse of a broken underground cable....
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

pczz wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:20 am
Mishmash wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:28 am
i think we are about to go through what happened in the uk. More people subscribe. Company a gets slow so people swith to company b which then gets slow. After a few runs through all providers they all start updating their equipment (hopefully) Mins you, if opennet is noit having a problems sort of throws out the excuse of a broken underground cable....
You will like Opennet - customer service is excellent - no problems 4 years. Cellcard have great coverage - cheap as chips. International calls are 4.5c a minute if you use 177 prefix for VoIP

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

do any of you use an android box/Modbro and other ad ons to watch tv
are ur speeds enough?

I use ais here and get aorund 160 down/200 up ( lighting fast for uploading photos to my site).
but still sometimes it slows down/buffers and wont stream..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

Mishmash wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:23 am You will like Opennet - customer service is excellent - no problems 4 years. Cellcard have great coverage - cheap as chips. International calls are 4.5c a minute if you use 177 prefix for VoIP

When testing the speed of your internet connection, never use the local Phnom Penh server, choose an overseas one, like San Francisco, or London.
Not saying Opennet is no good, I use them myself, but Phnom Penh server speeds are always much higher than 'realistic' servers overseas.
Roadie
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Roadie »

I certainly wish I had good internet in Battambang. Many times I can't do anything at all. Just says server can't be found, try later.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

frizzie77 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:21 pm
When testing the speed of your internet connection, never use the local Phnom Penh server, choose an overseas one, like San Francisco, or London.
Not saying Opennet is no good, I use them myself, but Phnom Penh server speeds are always much higher than 'realistic' servers overseas.
I always judge it by the Bittorrent download speed :beer3:

If I get a good film of at least 720p in around 20 to 30 mins I am happy

I take the dog for a walk, get home and have a smoke, a film, some beer and food from my wife all done and dusted :beer3:

Never any problem with the free streaming films on 1loy stored on their servers in PP.

:thumb:
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

Mishmash wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:28 pm
frizzie77 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:21 pm
I always judge it by the Bittorrent download speed :beer3:

If I get a good film of at least 720p in around 20 to 30 mins I am happy

I take the dog for a walk, get home and have a smoke, a film, some beer and food from my wife all done and dusted :beer3:

Never any problem with the free streaming films on 1loy stored on their servers in PP.

:thumb:
its been terrible at times in sihanoukville wifi and 4g, smart really bad phones connections very sketchy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic