How is life in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How is life in Phnom Penh?

Post by John Bingham »

willyhilly wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:29 pm Is the big mosque still at the lake?
The biggest mosque in the country is in that location near the former Boeung Kak lake. There was a fuss back in the early 90s when the mosque in that location was knocked down and a new one was built on the site. It was because the mosque was built in the 1400s and was one of the oldest buildings anywhere nearby. Anyway the replacement has since been flattened so we just have the new one. It's massive.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

Hello Miss,
Why not come check PP out before taking the job and making the move?
If you look up the history of Champa you can learn why and how the Cham population got to Cambodia and other countries.
It is a fascinating story actually.
Good luck.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Marty wrote:To the OP: Cambodia is very similar to Disneyland. I'm sure you'll like it.
Discussed this with my Khmer better half. I have been to Disney World, but not Disneyland. She’s seen Disneyland in movies. Both of us are thoroughly baffled.

So how exactly is Cambodia very similar to Disneyland?
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

SabrinaMalaysia wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:50 pm Hi, I am exploring new job in Phnom Penh.. Did sonw reading about the living styles n culture. Just wish if anyone could share:
1. Is it safe for a single lady to work there
2. Staying alone after work and weekend nake me nervous to think of. Any one care to share experiences
3. I am muslim, how is the treatment towards Muslims there? From colleagues n community
4. Any comment on halal food n groceries
5. Any recommendation for places to stay that is safe. Rental etc.

Hope to hear from you soon, especially if there are anyone from Malaysia...

Thanks
1. It's no safer or more dangerous than most other places. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'safe for a single lady to work there' - if you're asking about sexual harassment at work, I'd say you shouldn't have anything to worry about but then, as a man, I'm probably not the best qualified to answer. I've never heard of any kind of sexual harassment at any of the places I've worked at in PP. It doesn't seem, to me, like the sort of thing that fits with Khmer culture.

2. Do you mean staying alone after work AT work (working late alone) or working alone at weekends or do you staying alone at home? PP is a very secure place to live,although you wouldn't think it, considering that every window has prison bars on it. If you're that worried, there are loads and loads of female-only house-shares here. You might prefer to look into that if security and living alone is a real concern for you.

3. I think only a fellow Muslim can answer that honestly. I'm not a Muslim but it's my understanding that, as someone else pointed out, Cambodia has largely avoided the Islamophobia that has infested many other non-Muslim parts of the world, and nobody seems to batter an eyelid about other people's religion here.

4. Halal food is available. Obviously not as prevalent as it would be in an Islamic country but there are enough Muslims here to make it available without too much searching around.

5. Depends on your budget. PP is no different to anywhere else. If you want to live in the nicer, leafier, more westernised areas, you'll pay a premium for it. These are considered 'safer' because they always come with some kind of security person thrown in, whether it's the owner, members of the owners family, or a private security guard, there will generally be someone hovering around the main entrance 24 hours a day. However, don't assume that the cheaper options are unsafe. I don't have a security guard, but I still have to go through two padlocked gates and am filmed every step of the way up to my apartment on the CCTV.

To be fair, you're a female Muslim asking about aspects of life in PP on a forum mostly dominated by non-Muslim men. Maybe finding the right FB groups might be a better option or as someone else pointed out, why not just come here for a month or so and see how you feel.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:09 am
Marty wrote:To the OP: Cambodia is very similar to Disneyland. I'm sure you'll like it.
Discussed this with my Khmer better half. I have been to Disney World, but not Disneyland. She’s seen Disneyland in movies. Both of us are thoroughly baffled.

So how exactly is Cambodia very similar to Disneyland?

I apologize. Both you and your Khmer better half are correct. After viewing some videos on both Cambodia and Disneyland I have concluded that Cambodia is very dissimilar to Disneyland.
DingDong
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DingDong »

Its dirty and dangerous .. they steal from one another and will steal from you. Traffic is insane.
You must live in a place with bars on the windows and heavy locks on thr doors. Do not trust Tuk or Moto drivers at all
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

DingDong wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:51 am Its dirty and dangerous .. they steal from one another and will steal from you. Traffic is insane.
You must live in a place with bars on the windows and heavy locks on thr doors. Do not trust Tuk or Moto drivers at all

Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Tightenupvolume is one sad example of a certain kind of expats that soil SEA. The good thing is that you will not encounter them as they're spending their time in cheap bars with cheap company although those characters strongly believe that they are overpaying - always. They generally suffer from a condition caused by limited brain functions.

Depending on where you stay in PP you will see more or less women wearing a headscarf. Like in other countries many Muslim women prefer to go about without wearing it especially when they work in a bank or other office job or in upscale sales. You have many affluent Muslims in PP who own prominent real estate and do well in business. The image of poor Cham villages with their Saudi missionaries is common but does not represent the overall situation for Muslims in the country. I grew up in Europe. Muslim women without headscarf entered the public mind as Italian or Spanish ;).
Food-wise you wont have many problems at first sight. Problem is as so often that halal does not necessarily mean halal-certified. You will know all about it and know how to deal with it.

In general, I would care about more secular issues like health care and insurance. This might be a deal breaker. Health issues and the lack of proper care is what might get you into real trouble in Cambodia. The Thaivisa forum has a small Cambodia section which is worthless aside from the fact that the moderator is a lady who is a health professional. She herself has undergone surgery in PP and knows a lot from the experiences of her Cambodian relatives as well. I think she is from Australia or the U.S. and is married to a Cambodian citizen. I m sure she will be happy to share info if you contact her.
SabrinaMalaysia
Tourist
Malaysia

Re: How is life in phnom penh

Post by SabrinaMalaysia »

cptrelentless wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:30 pm There are plenty of muslims in Cambodia, it's no big deal. They're even out in the boonies. There's about six or seven mosques around the centre of PP. If you travel in a liveried tuktuk like Grab you're generally safe, the roads are pretty nuts. There's plenty of big supermarkets with imported halal food if you want to cook for yourself, or there's places to go and eat. How much do you want to spend? There's nice serviced condos which'll keep the riff-raff out but these are fairly pricey, if you rent a room they generally have a gate leading to the communal area that locks and you can bolt yourself in. If you're at home at night you're pretty much fenced in, people take security fairly seriously.
Thank you for sharing. I am pleased to know about halal food is not difficult to find.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic