Rice....

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Rice....

Post by IraHayes »

So... wifes away on a business trip to vietnam and the nanny/housekeeper informed nee the rice was all gone. Well, i say "informed me" what she did was show me our regulation size plastic dustbin that is used as a container for said offending food...and it looked pretty bleak. Barely a handful of grains scattered on its bottom!

So ... as i left for work and she was taking the ankle biters to school we stopped at one of the rice sellers in the market that is right outside our home.

Now i must admit, in all my time here, to never really paying any attention to the rice we have eaten. After all. Rice is rice.. right?

So... educate me on what is good and does price always reflect this.
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Andorra

Re: Rice....

Post by jovial fucher »

IraHayes wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:35 am So... wifes away on a business trip to vietnam and the nanny/housekeeper informed nee the rice was all gone. Well, i say "informed me" what she did was show me our regulation size plastic dustbin that is used as a container for said offending food...and it looked pretty bleak. Barely a handful of grains scattered on its bottom!

So ... as i left for work and she was taking the ankle biters to school we stopped at one of the rice sellers in the market that is right outside our home.

Now i must admit, in all my time here, to never really paying any attention to the rice we have eaten. After all. Rice is rice.. right?

So... educate me on what is good and does price always reflect this.
I always go with Jasmine unless I want risotto. IIR, I gave 12 or 15 dollars for 25 kilo's of Jasmine at Makro, which is one of the few things their good for.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I can’t directly answer your question, but her-indoors is fussy about her rice. ‘This one no good. Too much’, etc. We rarely run low, and it seems she woman-handles a freaking great sack of rice up to our apartment in my absence. She buys ours at the NW corner of the old market and that’s all I know. Me barang...

Me- I do like Tesco’s Thai Jasmine rice, and oddly have about 25-30Kg of my luggage allowance still to use coming back this weekend.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I'm usually the sort to choose a burger and fries over a chicken ceaser salad if you get my drift, but when it comes to rice, oddly I prefer brown rice to white rice. White rice doesn't seem very filling to me and I'm normally hungry again after an hour or so, but brown rice is much denser, actually has a taste to it (as opposed to white rice which just tastes like the water it was boiled in) and is much more filling. The only drawback is that it takes 2-3 times longer to cook.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Cambodia offers the following types of milled rice and rice products:
‘Premium Fragrant’ or ‘Cambodian Jasmine Rice’ | ‘Fragrant’ | ‘Long grain white’ or ‘Premium White’ | ‘White’ | ‘Brown’/’Cargo Rice’ (fragrant) | ‘Parboiled rice’ factories are just coming online.

http://crf.org.kh/CambodianRiceFestival ... etail&id=3
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Mmmm, can't really help on this one.

This is the only rice I eat.

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

DaveG wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:12 am Mmmm, can't really help on this one.

YES... with a little spoonful of raspberry jam in the middle. I feel like a kid again...
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Kuroneko wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:38 am Cambodia offers the following types of milled rice and rice products:
‘Premium Fragrant’ or ‘Cambodian Jasmine Rice’ | ‘Fragrant’ | ‘Long grain white’ or ‘Premium White’ | ‘White’ | ‘Brown’/’Cargo Rice’ (fragrant) | ‘Parboiled rice’ factories are just coming online.

http://crf.org.kh/CambodianRiceFestival ... etail&id=3
If you go to the market the raice sellers usually have four grades of rice for sale. You can pick up a hand full of rice from each sack and look at the grains and smell the rice. Phka Malis or jasmine is the best quality (In 2012, 2013 and 2014, a fragrant Cambodian jasmine rice variety Phka Rumduol—often referred to as phka malis—was crowned the world’s finest rice by the International Commodity Institute at the annual World Rice Conference. ), followed by Sen Kra Oub, long grain white and Phka Knhei ( I think).

When I arrived here over 20 years ago the cheapest rice was 800Riel a kilo and the most expensive 1100 Riel. At the local shop near my condo I pay between 3000 and 4000 Riel a Kilo.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I never really understood rice. I always cocked-up the cooking process (until I discovered the steam method and now it's perfect).

I have premium Cambodian Jasmine rice and I can't see anything special about it. It just tastes of rice, which is as boring as it gets. Once I have covered it with my homemade lamb curry, it then tastes of something nice, the lamb curry.

Coconut rice is nice, but that's because it tastes of coconut which I like. Plain rice is just plain...
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:44 am
DaveG wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:12 am Mmmm, can't really help on this one.

YES... with a little spoonful of raspberry jam in the middle. I feel like a kid again...
bury a chocice in it and give it a couple of minutes in the mictowave
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic