LEARNER RIDERS

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: LEARNER RIDERS

Post by atst »

It was an exaggeration but if you change down gears to quickly the bike pulls up pretty fast remember it's a learning we're advising
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:18 am It was an exaggeration but if you change down gears to quickly the bike pulls up pretty fast remember it's a learning we're advising
Just be very careful
Always "hope" but never "expect".
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:29 pm just curious why you would buy a bike with a clutch if you dont know how to ride it with so many semi and full automatics available?
Because i liked the bike and I wanted to learn (i now know how to ride clutch)
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:29 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:29 pm just curious why you would buy a bike with a clutch if you dont know how to ride it with so many semi and full automatics available?
That's great... Here is some inspiration from Ireland (Definitely the craziest GP around)

Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

atst wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:18 am It was an exaggeration but if you change down gears to quickly the bike pulls up pretty fast remember it's a learning we're advising
In my experience, you change down too early without balancing the revs, the worst you'll do is lock the rear wheel. Unless of course, the bike is front-wheel-drive?? Deadly in a corner, but less than likely to send you over the bars... Now, if we're talking high-sides and tank-slaps, that's a whole new conversation.

OP, I hope you are enjoying your manual bike. I love them, and had a sweet little KTM while in Cambodia. Enjoy it. Hun-Sen Blvd on a Sunday is a magical ride, just watch out for the crazy cows crossing the damn highway!!
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

Just practice anywhere...take off in first..shift to 2nd.
Down shift back to 1st..
Get the feel of working your hands on the throttle and clutch at the same time as your foot changes gears.
Soon you will be using down shifting to slow down automatically.
It is easier than a car..
You can do it..
You will find you have more control than with auto transmission or semi auto...
Good luck...
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

BR549 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:04 am Just practice anywhere...take off in first..shift to 2nd.
Down shift back to 1st..
Get the feel of working your hands on the throttle and clutch at the same time as your foot changes gears.
Soon you will be using down shifting to slow down automatically.
It is easier than a car..
You can do it..
You will find you have more control than with auto transmission or semi auto...
Good luck...
Tend to generally agree. Manual bikes are much easier to slow down through the gears than a car, or an auto/semi-auto bike. Accelerating 1st to 2nd, and then back to 1st wouldn't be my first piece of advice. Find a car park, and learn slow moves at low speeds and low gears would be my first suggestion. I can't think of a time where I've dropped from 2nd to 1st to slow down. By that time, I've normally already shit myself. (If I ever had the time to drop to 1st)

I like the sound that the OP has already had a play, and feels he has made progress toward riding a manual. I'd be greatly interested to hear of his further development since. And next time I am in PP, Ill happily grab a bike and go for a ride with him ;-)
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

It was an exaggeration. The bike will pull up quick, but at the arse-end, not the front. You are more likely to smell road-rash than go over the bars. Worst case is an ass-slide with a locked rear wheel. Not a high-side.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

philip.smith wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:12 am
atst wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:09 am Best advice given to me was When changing down gears let the clutch out slowly, you don't want to go over the handle bars.
How is that even possible? You'd be engine braking to fuck and back but it's not possible to go OTB unless you were coming in wayyyy too hot. Either way, when slowing down you should at least be trying to revmatch as you downshift. Squeezing the tank with your legs should also be done, and would also make falling over less likely
Have yoou ever driven a bike? he is talking about changing down. if you do that and drop the clutch back in without reving the engine the appropriate amount the bike will either lockle the back wheel or stop abrubtly, depending on the mismatch between engine speed and road speed. End result you contimue forward at 60kmh, bike has slowed to 20 so over the bars you go. the number of learners i have taught who did not remember to blip the throttle :facepalm:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:29 pm
xX.TROPA.Xx How is your progress on the new bike? Have you mastered the ridding of it now, and are you out and about on the roads of Phnom Penh also? I personally find the problem in the city is that of other road users, just be more aware of your surroundings, and be careful. What bike did you buy, I don't recall that you had mentioned a make or size. Motorcycling can be very enjoyable in Cambodia it certainly gives one the freedom and a pace of your own when you may wish to travel to see areas or landmarks that you may have an interest in. I tend to go out in the city in the evening, when the traffic is less, if you ever want to meet up just send me a message.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic