A Very Sad Expat Story in Kampot - BUT with Happy Ending

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Re: A Very Sad Expat Story in Kampot

Post by mouytiet »

Seems only way to get justice in KOW most of the time, time and long memory I have, I see a luxery sports vehicle in flames somewhere long down the track.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

i don't get this. Does the guy have no evidence and no witness and no documents to show he gave the agent any money? if he has then there are "breach of trust" laws in Cambodia and a verbal contract in front of witnesses is all thats needed because many khmer cannot read and write. Any land transaction should eb done via the village chief who provides the temporary land transfer documents until title comes through
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

Depending on the amount of money he has left (if very little) then I think if this had happened to me and it was my lifesavings at that age and I know who the scammer was and was carrying on working as if nothing has happened and I'd be so bitter & angry you'd just go blow the guy away wouldn't you? Very little left to lose at that age. No names mentioned here mods....
pczz wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:33 am i don't get this. Does the guy have no evidence and no witness and no documents to show he gave the agent any money?
This also, he's seemingly only a paragraph away from having a got mugged sign yet has stir'd up quite the frenzy.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

3 years ago, I was looking to buy a 2nd floor place or along with my Khmer lady a piece of land.
Then, I got tossed out of Sihanoukville with 7 months on my lease.
I kept reading about hard titles.
I tried to talk to my Khmer lady about her family plot in Kampong Cham and its title.
I saw people kicked off their land by someone in a big car from PP after living there for 30 years.
I saw people not allowed to use the road needed to protest the loss of their lands to get to PP to make a formal complaint.
My eyes kept getting wider.
I had a new 1 year lease in Kampot and a few months in the property values escalated and my landlord was trying to sell ...The same realtor who took me to the house and collected the fee was showing my place to new barangs. The landlord was telling my Khmer lady he could get $200 more a month.
I hated the house anyway. I made a deal with him to leace after 11 months if he returned my full deposit.
I found an eco building company in PP and was hoping to sell my land in the USA and buy a nice little eco friendly place in Cambodia on a piece of land.
I have 5 weeks left on my lease in Siem Reap.
My newest landlord must sell the property.
I was moving anyway.
I have an appointment on the 21st to see a new rental.
My dream of buying a place in Cambodia is OVER.
I see so many articles on this site of people waiting for their condo to be built or finished.
Now, this guy.
Granted, he needed to take better care of his investment.
I told my lady...and it did not make her happy.
I would never buy a place in Cambodia.
I cannot trust that the visa rules will stay the same and allow me to live here.
I must have assets to escape...
I am sitting at the house I paid off in 2012 on land my family has owned for 90 years in Kansas USA.
I am going to sell it in 2020.
It is my retirement along with a monthly check I receive.
I just can't lose it all like this poor guy.
These posts about revenge are understandable...
But, that is not a wise path.
These are the lessons we must all embrace and learn from.
I wish I had known this guy and gone fishing with him in Kampot. I was looking for a fishing pal.
I will keep renting and see how the winds of change blow.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

pczz wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:33 am i don't get this. Does the guy have no evidence and no witness and no documents to show he gave the agent any money? if he has then there are "breach of trust" laws in Cambodia and a verbal contract in front of witnesses is all thats needed because many khmer cannot read and write. Any land transaction should eb done via the village chief who provides the temporary land transfer documents until title comes through
In the vid posted live today it seems the guy has bank statements to show the money trail.
Not sure what else he's got in writing as most of the vid was in khmer.
He did mention he's already been through the courts and got nowhere.
Its tricky because its illegal in the first place under the constitution for a foreigner to buy land.
So now they resort to a social media campaign.....
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:21 pm I had a look on facebook. I don't know anyone involved, but it looks like a kind and compassionate person got scammed by a shark. Nobody wants to name the shark, but s/he sells real estate in Kampot, and comments on social media suggest that this is not the first time that s/he has pulled a number like this. People know who it is but are reluctant to speak up.

I understand that the defamation laws make this difficult, but if no one outs this guy, then it will be business as usual for him and more victims to follow. Or perhaps if there is enough social media outrage, the authorities will take note. :director:
At some point you have to quit dancing around and name and shame the fkr.
If they are a licensed realtor and in business then they need to be held accountable.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

canucklhead wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:47 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:21 pm I had a look on facebook. I don't know anyone involved, but it looks like a kind and compassionate person got scammed by a shark. Nobody wants to name the shark, but s/he sells real estate in Kampot, and comments on social media suggest that this is not the first time that s/he has pulled a number like this. People know who it is but are reluctant to speak up.

I understand that the defamation laws make this difficult, but if no one outs this guy, then it will be business as usual for him and more victims to follow. Or perhaps if there is enough social media outrage, the authorities will take note. :director:
At some point you have to quit dancing around and name and shame the fkr.
If they are a licensed realtor and in business then they need to be held accountable.
This is precisely why a robust and trustworthy civil law court system is so important.

You wouldn't need to resort to naming and shaming......you'd get an attorney on contingency......quietly file papers.......the guy gets served..........and a finder of fact renders a judgment.........judgment gets enforced.......justice is done and nobody lost face on social media.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

None of us knows the full story. From what I can tell the underlying issue is that he is not legally allowed to purchase land in Cambodia. So all claims of fraud include himself attempting to break the laws of Cambodia.

I've said before. This is not a country for foreigners to invest money in. There is no established legal system and your forbidden to own land. You can be a "little" successful, by that I mean earn enough to live comfortably. Anything beyond that and soon your going to find you have Khmer "partners" in one form or another and soon thereafter, you'll be out.

If your married, you can buy land and build a home in her name. Make sure you get the hard title. And thats it. Your a target, nothing more, nothing less.

This gentleman learned the hard way and I'd recommend he needs to find a way back to Alaska and start anew.

I would agree that he needs to name names - even if its after he leaves.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

This is a result of the Cambodian coastal goldrush for land, due to the new Chinese investments. If he had moved up the Mekong a bit, he would have had a better chance of finding a peaceful place to live. IMO you can still have a nice life on some land in Cambodia, but stay away from any land where speculation is rife.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic