Can Cambodia issue an international driving permit

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
starky52
Tourist
Great Britain

Can Cambodia issue an international driving permit

Post by starky52 »

Hi all,

I plan to travel to Japan in May and rent a car but I require an international driving permit along with my drivers license in order to drive a car there. I actually currently have an international driving permit issued from the UK but it will expire in March and I don't have time (nor do I want to spend the money) to go back to the UK to apply for a new one and as far as I'm aware you can't obtain one without being in the country.

I have read online on an international website that Cambodia in theory can also issue IDPs, but I've never heard of anyone getting one. I have a Cambodian driving license and was wondering if anyone knew whether it is actually possible to obtain an IDP in Cambodia and if so, where I would need to go to get one.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been covered somewhere else. I had a look through the relevant driving license threads but couldn't see anything on it. I assume the answer will be no, but worth an ask just in case!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Can Cambodia issue an international driving permit

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Cambodia does not issue IDP's.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

In the US you can get an international drivers permit from AAA. I don't know if the Cambodia auto club does the same. I visited their webpage but they don't mention it (I only looked quickly).

Their contact number is +855.23.888.821

Good luck - if you find you can get one let us know!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

As far as I know International Driving Licenses are not recognized in Cambodia. There is no body that can deal with it and the only way to legally comply here is to get a Cambodian license. It is not difficult to do this if you have a valid license from your home country. Unless it's Egypt or something, then you have to resit the whole thing.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

I believe you can get an international driving license online but I dont know how 'real' this is.

Here is one of several sites offering https://internationaldriversassociation ... gLaQ_D_BwE
Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Terry Fishsauce »

Send your licence back to UK with a photo and get somebody to do it for you at a post office.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

What exactly is the point of an International driving permit?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Doc67 wrote:What exactly is the point of an International driving permit?
Makes it a bit easier to do an around the world trip (paperwork at borders, insurance reasons etc), but as mentioned, not technically recognized here and not issued here either. Not really an issue though.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

starky52 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:54 pm Hi all,

I plan to travel to Japan in May and rent a car but I require an international driving permit along with my drivers license in order to drive a car there. I actually currently have an international driving permit issued from the UK but it will expire in March and I don't have time (nor do I want to spend the money) to go back to the UK to apply for a new one and as far as I'm aware you can't obtain one without being in the country.

I have read online on an international website that Cambodia in theory can also issue IDPs, but I've never heard of anyone getting one. I have a Cambodian driving license and was wondering if anyone knew whether it is actually possible to obtain an IDP in Cambodia and if so, where I would need to go to get one.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been covered somewhere else. I had a look through the relevant driving license threads but couldn't see anything on it. I assume the answer will be no, but worth an ask just in case!
You can send your license and an accompanying letter explaining yur situation to the UK and a family member can go get your IDP at the post office. They must have a letter signed physically by you giving permission for them to get the IDP on your behalf because you cannot attend. You will need to send some uk sized passport photos as well and a copy of your passport id page. Make sure you order the correct IDP as there are 2. notsure which on japan wants
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic