Man Goes Berserk and Attacks Tuktuk After He Says He Was Ripped Off by Driver

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Man Goes Berserk and Attacks Tuktuk After He Says He Was Ripped Off by Driver

Post by DaveG »

Isaanbarang wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:50 pm
shnoukieBRO wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:45 pm
Queef wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:09 pm I specifically stated that destroying the tuk tuk was incredibly stupid.

I read the comments on fb a couple times and he, among other people, said something that wasn't wrong: is this how you treat your guests? I'm not saying that impersonating Freddie Kruger is justifiable. Not at all. I'm just saying that the respect should go both ways otherwise tourists are going to find new places to go to (this guy doesn't seem to be a tourist but you get my point).

With the means of communications we have nowadays and with whistle-blowers like the Iranian guy, people have access to information much more easily and can decide whether or not to go to a foreign country just by clicking on a few urls.
OK. I quickly read the post and you first Said that then focused on the tuk tuk driver.

The bottom line is if you live in Cambodia you know how to handle urself cos scams are rife.
I remember when I was in a certain Mall and I almost was assaulted by 2 tourist coloured guys who thought they could start making ludicrous claims and behave like violent idiots towards me.

Yes there are scams in Cambodia but others are talking about app issues here also. We are lucky that the guy with the knife didn't kill anyone: I wonder if that guy has ever been aggressive to other persons overy trivial matters, and why he carries a kitchen knife with him??
2 tourist "coloured" guys? Is that 1950s code for black?
I will bring up up to date, lol,

" The politically correct term at present is ‘People of Colour’ (abbreviated to PoC)" :roll:
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Man Goes Berserk and Attacks Tuktuk After He Says He Was Ripped Off by Driver

Post by Isaanbarang »

DaveG wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:55 pm
Isaanbarang wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:50 pm
Queef wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:09 pm I specifically stated that destroying the tuk tuk was incredibly stupid.

I read the comments on fb a couple times and he, among other people, said something that wasn't wrong: is this how you treat your guests? I'm not saying that impersonating Freddie Kruger is justifiable. Not at all. I'm just saying that the respect should go both ways otherwise tourists are going to find new places to go to (this guy doesn't seem to be a tourist but you get my point).

With the means of communications we have nowadays and with whistle-blowers like the Iranian guy, people have access to information much more easily and can decide whether or not to go to a foreign country just by clicking on a few urls.
OK. I quickly read the post and you first Said that then focused on the tuk tuk driver.

The bottom line is if you live in Cambodia you know how to handle urself cos scams are rife.
I remember when I was in a certain Mall and I almost was assaulted by 2 tourist coloured guys who thought they could start making ludicrous claims and behave like violent idiots towards me.

Yes there are scams in Cambodia but others are talking about app issues here also. We are lucky that the guy with the knife didn't kill anyone: I wonder if that guy has ever been aggressive to other persons overy trivial matters, and why he carries a kitchen knife with him??
2 tourist "coloured" guys? Is that 1950s code for black?
I will bring up up to date, lol,

" The politically correct term at present is ‘People of Colour’ (abbreviated to PoC)" :roll:
Possibly why the PoC has such anger management issues
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

The man made a mistake.
It appears he is paying for it.
This debate over him being black and having an excuse to cut the top up AND it appears the left rear tire is flat...is bullshit.
POC????
If I am not mistaken every single person on the face of the Earth is a person of color...
A girlfriend of mine from New Jersey once told me that we needed to stop saying MY BLACK FRIEND..MY WHITE FRIEND..
Just say MY FRIEND....She was a beautiful shade of deep dark brown..sexy as hell. That was 1988.
My Khmer wife is darker than most African Americans.
Just look on tv and you will see every Thai actor..actress..model..you name it is whiter than most Caucasians.
Check out Khmer female's FB pages and they all have skin whitening products for sale.
I got off a plane from Guangzhou in November at Siem Reap and Chinese females were putting their coats over their heads as they walked from the plane to the terminal.
This apologist mentality is a joke.
In the USA now you have black supporters of Trump being called racists....they used to be called Uncle Toms.
But, if the tuk tuk driver called the man a black dog in Khmer and the man understood him. The tuk tuk driver did cross a line way past a simple barang scam. He sure would not of thought this man was going to understand his Khmer.
I wonder why he didn't drive away?
Why he ran away?
The man was seething and there was this inanimate object sitting there.
SNAP!
A damn shame.
Next to the knife appears to be a half smoked doob.
He should of gone inside and closed hus door and finished that doob.
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

BR549 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:56 am The man made a mistake.
It appears he is paying for it.
This debate over him being black and having an excuse to cut the top up AND it appears the left rear tire is flat...is bullshit.
POC????
If I am not mistaken every single person on the face of the Earth is a person of color...
A girlfriend of mine from New Jersey once told me that we needed to stop saying MY BLACK FRIEND..MY WHITE FRIEND..
Just say MY FRIEND....She was a beautiful shade of deep dark brown..sexy as hell. That was 1988.
My Khmer wife is darker than most African Americans.
Just look on tv and you will see every Thai actor..actress..model..you name it is whiter than most Caucasians.
Check out Khmer female's FB pages and they all have skin whitening products for sale.
I got off a plane from Guangzhou in November at Siem Reap and Chinese females were putting their coats over their heads as they walked from the plane to the terminal.
This apologist mentality is a joke.
In the USA now you have black supporters of Trump being called racists....they used to be called Uncle Toms.
But, if the tuk tuk driver called the man a black dog in Khmer and the man understood him. The tuk tuk driver did cross a line way past a simple barang scam. He sure would not of thought this man was going to understand his Khmer.
I wonder why he didn't drive away?
Why he ran away?
The man was seething and there was this inanimate object sitting there.
SNAP!
A damn shame.
Next to the knife appears to be a half smoked doob.
He should of gone inside and closed hus door and finished that doob.
Firstly we all should be glad that the inanamite object was not his trusty 1911 Smith an Wesson.

Secondly, sarcasm.

No one in their right mind would excuse violence and property destruction because of a person's skin color. And the poster that used the phrase "coloured" while showing the depth of his racism is entitled to his opinion. I have to say though you are batting 100 when it comes to weaving your President into every post. That kind of worship is near fanatical.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

The fact is many drivers (not all) of tuk tuks who give a public service to all people not just tourists, rip all off in what ways are possible to gain extra expenses toward their funds. Pass App and Grab were a way of counter effecting the extra charges, displaying the costs on your mobile before you took the fare, the customer and the driver know the cost at the beginning. But it seams the scamming of the customer will carry on regardless.
Tourist's get ripped off regularly in all aspects of their visits, it maybe that its expected and the cost is accountable in their overall budget, overall for the promotion of tourism to the country this can't reflect very well.
I suppose for the Khmer it is what is expected, also that of many expats, in the end you would pay the price that is asked of you, even though you know you have been overcharged. "Why" the simple answer is you have "none" or very little rights in this country.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Racism a word not in my vocabulary even now I have to use spellchecker for the word. If anyone thinks it is only an occurrence of the western world, they would be very blinkered indeed. I live in the suburbs of the big city, I can tell you that I find racism very rife against a white person, not all, its just like we have in our homelands. But bringing in a few more questions from above, why would people think this way, is it that they see all westerners have monies, so that opposes them to racist remarks. People leaving with a bitter taste, I can understand, it was not the place they read about, nor expected, they may have been past donators to many a cause to people of the country, or even done some good will with their time here. Being a developing country reliant on aid for many years, there are still the very poor, donation has not seemed to changed many lives over the years, but the rich like in most countries become more and more wealthy, that alone may ask the questions why the need for donations from outside, when the rich can provide for their own country people.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Isaanbarang wrote:Firstly we all should be glad that the inanamite object was not his trusty 1911 Smith and Wesson
A person on drugs should not be allowed to have a gun. A person with mental issues should not be allowed to have a gun. Those people with those issues carrying firearms are criminals.

A firearm should only be drawn in a situation where death or bodily injury injury will happen to the person or a loved one. And only enough force should be used to stop such an attack. Otherwise it’s murder or manslaughter.

The media never keeps track whenever a firearm is used to prevent crime from happening. It doesn’t fit the politically correct agenda.
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:30 am
Isaanbarang wrote:Firstly we all should be glad that the inanamite object was not his trusty 1911 Smith and Wesson
A person on drugs should not be allowed to have a gun. A person with mental issues should not be allowed to have a gun. Those people with those issues carrying firearms are criminals.

A firearm should only be drawn in a situation where death or bodily injury injury will happen to the person or a loved one. And only enough force should be used to stop such an attack. Otherwise it’s murder or manslaughter.

The media never keeps track whenever a firearm is used to prevent crime from happening. It doesn’t fit the politically correct agenda.
Then I strongly urge you to contact your Republican Congressman or Senator and express your disgust that President Trump refuses to endorse universal background checks for gun ownership. Other initiatives president will not support: a gun registry, gun confiscation, a mandatory buyback policy, a ban on high capacity magazines, taxes or regulatory impediments to the purchase of ammunition and a ban on any class of weapon, particularly an assault weapons ban. The source called all of the above "way out of bounds" for the president.

Perhaps just voting Democrat would be easier, there is no logical reason for using an assault rifle to protect oneself unless of course you are being attacked by an infantry division.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Scams are rife in cambodia. That's a known fact. Is that an excuse for anything? It doesn't change the fact that scams are morally and legally wrong. If I follow your logic, then you would be held to account if some guy raped and killed your daughter in India and you caught the guy before the police did? Rapes are rife in India. You have to know how to handle yourself and the people around you.

I didn't reply right away as I was seriously asking myself if that "colored people" thing was a joke. Don't waste your time coming up with some elaborated terms. Just call them [deleted] next time. It will be easier.
First, how did you know they were tourists? Second, assaulting somebody in a cambodian mall? That doesn't sound very intelligent. Are you making things up just for the sake of posting a comment?

The real question is: if Shankman is mentally unstable/ on drugs as other posters have said, why didn't he go after the tuk tuk driver? I mean it was the tuk tuk driver that tried to scam him, not the tuk tuk itself. He's also bigger than the average khmer, so why didn't he lay his hands on him instead?

Muoy tiet: how can someone be under the radar for so long and then go ape shit just like that, out of blue? Things don't add up.

Once again, I do not condone his reaction. It is way over the top. I just feel like a lot of information is missing.

My reply is sort of harsh. That colored thing, Bro.... Despicable. It doesn't matter if you're referring to blacks, Asians, native Americans, Middle Eastern folks, Latinos or whatever. Don't call any racial minorities "colored" for crying out loud. Jim Crow is a thing of the past.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Queef wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:16 pm

Scams are rife in cambodia. That's a known fact. Is that an excuse for anything? It doesn't change the fact that scams are morally and legally wrong. If I follow your logic, then you would be held to account if some guy raped and killed your daughter in India and you caught the guy before the police did? Rapes are rife in India. You have to know how to handle yourself and the people around you.

I didn't reply right away as I was seriously asking myself if that "colored people" thing was a joke. Don't waste your time coming up with some elaborated terms. Just call them [deleted] next time. It will be easier.
First, how did you know they were tourists? Second, assaulting somebody in a cambodian mall? That doesn't sound very intelligent. Are you making things up just for the sake of posting a comment?

The real question is: if Shankman is mentally unstable/ on drugs as other posters have said, why didn't he go after the tuk tuk driver? I mean it was the tuk tuk driver that tried to scam him, not the tuk tuk itself. He's also bigger than the average khmer, so why didn't he lay his hands on him instead?

Muoy tiet: how can someone be under the radar for so long and then go ape shit just like that, out of blue? Things don't add up.

Once again, I do not condone his reaction. It is way over the top. I just feel like a lot of information is missing.

My reply is sort of harsh. That colored thing, Bro.... Despicable. It doesn't matter if you're referring to blacks, Asians, native Americans, Middle Eastern folks, Latinos or whatever. Don't call any racial minorities "colored" for crying out loud. Jim Crow is a thing of the past.
So I guess you've got some serious issues going on then if you cannot read and understand a simple post and have to twistful it and interpret it in a negative manner . There was nothing 'racist' in what I wrote. Nothing. So unless you're just another forum stirrer then leave that out.

Yes. A long time ago 2 people of coloured appearance tried to attack me in a mall after making ludicrous claims. And this one? In fact he looks the same as one of them. So it may even be the same troubleaker here. Who knows. Maybe some might find that of use?

Also, again i ask: Who carries a Kitchen knife??

Now I don't care what you're trying to say about there being more to this ...because you DO NOT bring out a kitchen knife and do that!!

Are you not seeing the massive huge issue here??? This man seriously went worryingly crazy and if this happened in UK he would be facing prison for that level of insanity over a $3 confusion (which may not have been the fault of the driver but I stead a dodgy app)

There does not appear to have been any physical threat from the driver so this guy responded in what can only be called a deranged manner. We do not need Tourists like that in Cambodia so stop sticking up for these violent thugs. No iffs or butts. Get over it.

Finally what happened is probably a blessing in disguise for all concerned meaning it's better that someone who carries a kitchen knife is caught and known to the competent authorities etc. I hope for his sake he's learnt to calm down his attitude before he kills someone out of crazed anger, and does not carry a knife again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic