Man Goes Berserk and Attacks Tuktuk After He Says He Was Ripped Off by Driver

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Man Goes Berserk and Attacks Tuktuk After He Says He Was Ripped Off by Driver

Post by Clutch Cargo »

https://www.facebook.com/CambodiaExpats ... wzGkbv7gWc

Seems most of the comments on FB are none too supportive of the tuk tuk guy and saying they don't blame the foreigner...funny world we live in :?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Man Goes Berserk and Attacks Tuktuk After He Says He Was Ripped Off by Driver

Post by Anchor Moy »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:45 pm https://www.facebook.com/CambodiaExpats ... wzGkbv7gWc

Seems most of the comments on FB are none too supportive of the tuk tuk guy and saying they don't blame the foreigner...funny world we live in :?
Yeah I just had a look at the comments. :o

In my experience (limited because I don't live in PP), the passapp drivers, like the tuktuk drivers, are quite often new to PP and don't know where to go. The passapp GPS is of limited use for those who can't read or who get confused.
A few months ago we had a free tuktuk pick up for our bus in PP, but we had to pick up one more person, that we found after driving around the block for about 20 minutes and telephoning to head office every 5 minutes. Anyway, the thing is that a lot of these tuktuk drivers don't know where they are going, and they are not trying to rip you off, they just don't have a clue.
Once, in a western country, I got a Uber driver who didn't speak English and he took me to the wrong street with the same name. My bad, I didn't explain properly and paid $20 extra. These things happen. I was unhappy but i didn't destroy his taxi. Duh. It was a misunderstanding.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Devil's advocate, as usual...

So this guy gets allegedly ripped off and cursed at/ assaulted, but he should not say/ do anything? What? Destroying the tuk tuk was dumb as hell, especially since he, allegedly, paid for the fare (that's what he said on CNE). He should've just walked away but decided to get a knife and turn the tuk tuk into a convertible. I'm assuming alcohol was involved.

We always talk about the lack of fairness in the local justice system and this is another case of that. He fucked up, paid for a new tuk tuk and gave $1500 on top of that. Why isn't the tuk tuk driver being held accountable for his actions? He's not really an angel based on what the other dude said.

No one on social media is supporting the tuk tuk driver simply because people are tired of getting scammed. Most expats here are not pedos or whore loving old men. So why would they have to deal with this never ending scams? They're here to help cambodia and make it a better place. No wonder most people leave after 2/3 years with a sour taste in their mouth.

If I'm not mistaken, that's tuk tuk incident number 3 or 4 (that we know of) in less than 2/3 months. Two in sr and one pp I think. The first time may be a fluke, but if it keeps on happening, maybe there really is an issue with the tuk tuk drivers or the company that employs them.

At least, this guy had the guts to justify himself and acknowledge his lack of thinking/ self-control. Please tell me how many khmer would ever be able to do that. Please. Never have I ever met a khmer individual (including my SO) that was capable of admitting his/her fault. Never.

There are always two sides to a story. Sadly we don't know what the tuk tuk driver has to say for his defense. However, based on my experience here, I would assume that the tuk tuk driver isn't all that innocent.
Last edited by Queef on Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Queef wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:30 pm Devil's advocate, as usual...

So this guy gets allegedly ripped off and cursed at/ assaulted, but he should not say/ do anything? What? Destroying the tuk tuk was dumb as hell, especially since he, allegedly, paid for the fare (that's what he said on CNE). He should've just walked away but decided to get a knife and turn the tuk tuk into a convertible. I'm assuming alcohol was involved.

We always talk about the lack of fairness in the local justice system and this is another case of that. He fucked up, paid for a new tuk tuk and gave $1500 on top of that. Why isn't the tuk tuk driver being held accountable for his actions? He's not really an angel based on what the other dude said.

No one on social media is supporting the tuk tuk driver simply because people are tired of getting scammed. Most expats here are not pedos or whore loving old men. So why would they have to deal with this never ending scams? They're here to help cambodia and make it a better place. No wonder most people leave after 2/3 years with a sour taste in their mouth.

If I'm not mistaken, that's tuk tuk incident number 3 or 4 (that we know of) in less than 2/3 months. Two in sr and one pp I think. The first time may be a fluke, but if it keeps on happening, maybe there really is an issue with the tuk tuk drivers or the company that employs them.

At least, this guy had the guts to justify himself and acknowledge his lack of thinking/ self-control. Please tell me how many khmer would ever be able to do that. Please. Never have I ever met a khmer individual (including my SO) that was capable of admitting his/her fault. Never.

There are always two sides to a story. Sadly we don't know what the tuk tuk driver has to say for his defense. However, based on my experience here, I would assume that the tuk tuk isn't all that innocent.
Scammed over $3 or not. You DO NOT bring out a knife and do what he did.

Queef if you think his actions were justified then perhaps you need to take some time out and remember that you're a Guest in the Country of Cambodia and shall try to behave in a reasonable manner whilst thou resideth in the Wondrous Kingdom.

Don't cha know? 😊
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

I specifically stated that destroying the tuk tuk was incredibly stupid.

I read the comments on fb a couple times and he, among other people, said something that wasn't wrong: is this how you treat your guests? I'm not saying that impersonating Freddie Kruger is justifiable. Not at all. I'm just saying that the respect should go both ways otherwise tourists are going to find new places to go to (this guy doesn't seem to be a tourist but you get my point).

With the means of communications we have nowadays and with whistle-blowers like the Iranian guy, people have access to information much more easily and can decide whether or not to go to a foreign country just by clicking on a few urls.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Where's @SternAAlbifrons when you need him for an official reply on behalf of the United Tuk Tuk Drivers of Cambodia Guild. :o
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Queef wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:09 pm I specifically stated that destroying the tuk tuk was incredibly stupid.

I read the comments on fb a couple times and he, among other people, said something that wasn't wrong: is this how you treat your guests? I'm not saying that impersonating Freddie Kruger is justifiable. Not at all. I'm just saying that the respect should go both ways otherwise tourists are going to find new places to go to (this guy doesn't seem to be a tourist but you get my point).

With the means of communications we have nowadays and with whistle-blowers like the Iranian guy, people have access to information much more easily and can decide whether or not to go to a foreign country just by clicking on a few urls.
OK. I quickly read the post and you first Said that then focused on the tuk tuk driver.

The bottom line is if you live in Cambodia you know how to handle urself cos scams are rife.
I remember when I was in a certain Mall and I almost was assaulted by 2 tourist coloured guys who thought they could start making ludicrous claims and behave like violent idiots towards me.

Yes there are scams in Cambodia but others are talking about app issues here also. We are lucky that the guy with the knife didn't kill anyone: I wonder if that guy has ever been aggressive to other persons overy trivial matters, and why he carries a kitchen knife with him??
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I think we can all agree that this guy overreacted a bit. The damage isn't actually that much, he just slashed the canopy. Tuk tuk drivers you don't know can be very sketchy, and you'd expect better from a guy from PassApp/ Grab etc. However things can escalate badly here if you aren't careful and I'm surprised the foreigner wasn't bludgeoned to death by an irate mob of local vigilantes.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

could be a market for convertible tuktuks in the dry season. looks quite cool without the roof
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:45 pm
Queef wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:09 pm I specifically stated that destroying the tuk tuk was incredibly stupid.

OK. I quickly read the post and you first Said that then focused on the tuk tuk driver.

The bottom line is if you live in Cambodia you know how to handle urself cos scams are rife.
I remember when I was in a certain Mall and I almost was assaulted by 2 tourist coloured guys who thought they could start making ludicrous claims and behave like violent idiots towards me.

Yes there are scams in Cambodia but others are talking about app issues here also. We are lucky that the guy with the knife didn't kill anyone: I wonder if that guy has ever been aggressive to other persons overy trivial matters, and why he carries a kitchen knife with him??
2 tourist "coloured" guys? Is that 1950s code for black?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic