Man Goes Berserk and Attacks Tuktuk After He Says He Was Ripped Off by Driver

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Man Goes Berserk and Attacks Tuktuk After He Says He Was Ripped Off by Driver

Post by angkorjohn2 »

He says in the comments he has agreed to buy a new tuk tuk plus $150 comp. Those tuk Tuks are $2000+ ...he should have paid the extra $3 charge or just walked away. An expensive lesson here . He could have used the screen shots to complain to passapp and that would have got the guy booted off the platform costing him a lot of business.

I always prefer grab and if I use pass app I put my end destination in there so there is no messing about with directions etc.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Re: Man Goes Berserk and Attacks Tuktuk After He Says He Was Ripped Off by Driver

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Must be shit having to live a life carrying tools
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:11 am I told him I wasn't going to pay that amount and he became aggressive, telling "ah kmao chkei" and "choy ma". I got out of the tuk tuk to see his screen and he pushed me and started yelling.
Boy, if it had been the westerner calling a Khmer a "black dog".....there'd have been an emergency round table session at the Ministry of the Interior and this guy'd already be in an immigration holding cell awaiting deportation with a lifetime ban from the Country for disparagement/loss of face of a Khmer citizen / Khmer culture.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I drive an Uber and occasionally the app does strange things. It often gets completely lost and loses its mind.
Or does these things. A few weeks ago I got a fare with this address. Coral Inn. Railway Road. Lucknow. Utder Pradesh. India. Cairns Queensland. The rider Narelle was 300 metres away at the Hotel Cairns.
Or this one. A Japanese rider at Kuranda. 30 ks away up on the Tablelands. $36 for me but not worth it for a one way trip up a very twisty mountain road. My last job on a Sunday morning and obviously the man wanted to return to Cairns.
But no, I took him 31 kms further away to Coles, Mareeba where he worked on a farm. I was falling asleep on the way but swiped him off when we arrived. No internet access, all the way back down the hill to Cairns. When I was nearly home the value of the ride came up- $242!!!
I told Uber that night and by the next morning it was back to $42 for me for 91ks. No one hacked the app, it just fucked up.
Did the angry vandal in this case think Khmer tuk tuks are geeks? But I was immediately reminded of Fletch and Shane who got a tuk back from Sihanoukville to St 136 and argued over the fare. Shane got the big knife and cut up the seats!!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

From the info so far, I'm on the side of the tuktuk driver. He was so scared that he ran away, leaving the tuktuk behind. The passenger is a big imposing guy. I find it difficult to believe that a tuktuk driver would say those insults to his face, unless it was over his shoulder as he was running away. And why was he running away, unless he was the one who felt threatened ? :dragonchase:

As for the knife, that is so out of line. The guy lost his cool over $3 and pulled a knife. He slashed the tuktuk to bits. That takes quite a bit of rage and a serious lack of self-control.

All in all, there are better ways to deal with life's little frustrations in the KOW. Or maybe this is why so many foreigners have heart attacks. :dm:
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Typical western comes to a third world country and all of a sudden thier shit don't stink
No respect
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:56 pm From the info so far, I'm on the side of the tuktuk driver. He was so scared that he ran away, leaving the tuktuk behind. The passenger is a big imposing guy. I find it difficult to believe that a tuktuk driver would say those insults to his face, unless it was over his shoulder as he was running away. And why was he running away, unless he was the one who felt threatened ? :dragonchase:

As for the knife, that is so out of line. The guy lost his cool over $3 and pulled a knife. He slashed the tuktuk to bits. That takes quite a bit of rage and a serious lack of self-control.

All in all, there are better ways to deal with life's little frustrations in the KOW. Or maybe this is why so many foreigners have heart attacks. :dm:
THIS!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

He must feel a right fool today.

Losing his rag over a few dollars.

Then slashing tyres and a canopy = maybe $300 max damage.

Then agreeing to pay the dude and give him a new tuk tuk to replace the slightly damaged one.

And still a big enough knobhead to be online justifying his actions as though he had any self control at all.

And not even a newcomer!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Khmers say insulting stuff all the time, they just assume you don't understand. Not defending the guy's actions, but they'll say whatever they can get away with.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:56 pm From the info so far, I'm on the side of the tuktuk driver. He was so scared that he ran away, leaving the tuktuk behind. The passenger is a big imposing guy. I find it difficult to believe that a tuktuk driver would say those insults to his face, unless it was over his shoulder as he was running away. And why was he running away, unless he was the one who felt threatened ? :dragonchase:

I agree fully.

I think it's probably indeed the app malfunctioning (just look at the 'route' on the map). Combine that with a Khmer simply repeating what the app says: 21000 riel. No matter how often the tuktuk driver has done the route for just a third of that, if the app says that's the price today, then that's the price today. Also, keep in mind they have to pay a commission to PassApp, based on what is on that screen.

I can understand a customer getting angry, but just having a look at that screen would have told him something's not right. Just pay and sort it out with PassApp later. But, as usual in cases like these, he was probably totally pissed at 1AM. And his memory of the exact turn of events a bit blurred.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic