6 or 7 story building collaspes in Kep

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: 6 or 7 story building collaspes in Kep

Post by pczz »

Missing rebar anybody. Even when they use it they do not install it properly.
very generous of the government to pay out so much in compensation, but why si the government paying it and not the guilty parties? Isn't it about time to make all these projects have insurance. You can bet your backside the insurance companies would inspect as they have a vested interest
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

36 dead already, fucking heartbreaking.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

:stir: with little things like building inspectors this would never happen,several mates work within the building industry and the things the khmers try and get away with is frightening. :evil: :evil:
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

pczz wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:35 pm Missing rebar anybody. Even when they use it they do not install it properly.
very generous of the government to pay out so much in compensation, but why si the government paying it and not the guilty parties? Isn't it about time to make all these projects have insurance. You can bet your backside the insurance companies would inspect as they have a vested interest
Wrt the payouts, I'm thinking damage control by the government. The khmer citizenry must be getting a bit peeved with a second building collapse even worse than the recent one in SHV, let alone all the shonky buildings in SHV that are marked for demolition.
Reported 7% GDP growth per year, yeah great. Maybe half of that required cutting corners on everything from roads to building construction ?
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

who said anything about government compensation?
According to his Facebook comment this afternoon, Samdech Techo HE said to ease the hardship of the victims and their families, he decided to compensate the injured with 40 million Riel or US$10,000 each and the dead with 200 million Riel or US$50,000 and 10 more million Riel or US$2,500 for the funeral.

At the same time, Samdech Techo HE expressed his gratitude to all charitable people for their contribution to the compensation.
the big man is thanking his cronies in advance for their expected contribution to this charitable 'compensation'
grab the whole pie with your right hand
then flick a few crumbs for the serfs with your left, and you look like a saint tending the poor
Last edited by Phnom Poon on Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

monstra mihi bona!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

The two accidents were two relatively small blocks. What about these projected skyscrapers for Sihanoukville and elsewhere that are being constructed on on top of wetlands and canals ?
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:39 am
BR549 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:19 pm Imagine if this monstrosity had been completed and occupied?
From the pic on the initial post, it looks like E1 was already completed: it was painted and with ACs and windows installed, people had already moved in.
my guess based on the size of the columns is that after E1 was complete they thought they would add a few more floors onto a building that was only engineered to be 2 or 3 stories high.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:12 pm The two accidents were two relatively small blocks. What about these projected skyscrapers for Sihanoukville and elsewhere that are being constructed on on top of wetlands and canals ?
Pretty much everywhere here outside of hilly areas is just an alluvial plain and part of the Mekong Delta. The ground you see in the city is nearly all landfill. The pilings have to go in deep just to hit clay, I'm not sure how many actually hit bedrock. There are ways of doing this that work, but as others have said proper practices are often not used. Concrete is mixed in different batches and consistency and just poured into forms at whatever time, it is poured without vibration, core samples aren't taken and tested, it's all jerry-built and dangerous. Luckily it doesn't happen that often but the authorities need to get on the case with this because it will destroy faith in property investment.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Phnom Poon wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:03 pm who said anything about government compensation?
According to his Facebook comment this afternoon, Samdech Techo HE said to ease the hardship of the victims and their families, he decided to compensate the injured with 40 million Riel or US$10,000 each and the dead with 200 million Riel or US$50,000 and 10 more million Riel or US$2,500 for the funeral.

At the same time, Samdech Techo HE expressed his gratitude to all charitable people for their contribution to the compensation.
the big man is thanking his cronies in advance for their expected contribution to this charitable 'compensation'
grab the whole pie with your right hand
then flick a few crumbs for the serfs with your left, and you look like a saint tending the poor
i am going to be abit more chaaritable. AFAIK this was a local contruction by a local, therefore it is not bankrolled by big chinese investors. local build for local Investor is just notlikely to have the cash to make decent compensation payments in the hsort term at least. So its win win if HE steps inexcpet that money was probably earmarked for somewhere else so I hope he can recover some at least from the guilty parties when thye decide who they are. Technically living on a construction site was baneed after the snooky catastrophe. If the casualties including women and children were disobeying this order they may not qualify for much compensation from the developer as it wout mitigate the claim.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

fsdfdsdf wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:43 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:39 am
BR549 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:19 pm Imagine if this monstrosity had been completed and occupied?
From the pic on the initial post, it looks like E1 was already completed: it was painted and with ACs and windows installed, people had already moved in.
my guess based on the size of the columns is that after E1 was complete they thought they would add a few more floors onto a building that was only engineered to be 2 or 3 stories high.
That wouldn't surprise me. The fatality count is far too high to just be construction workers, so I'd guess there were a number of families in those lower levels.

At a pagoda I visit in PP they were building quite a large new structure in 2018 (as they are doing at many pagodas around the city lately). They stopped work for maybe six months, and then came back and demolished the entire thing. When I asked why, I was told it wasn't structurally sound. When I looked back at my photos I realised they had built it on top of an existing building, which was obviously not designed to support such a big structure. Possible disaster averted there.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic