Getting Sick

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Getting Sick

Post by talltuktuk »

bittermelon wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:33 pm
xandreu wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:58 pm I suffer from what I've simply decided to call Cambodia Fever. I rarely used to get sick back home but since living here, every three or four months or so I'll come down with a general sickness. Never anything too serious, headaches, cough, cold, sore throat etc and just generally feeling shit for a few days, then its gone again.

I've no idea where it comes from but it's been a common and frequent event for the few years I've been living here.
Totally know what you're talking about. I've wondered about pesticides on food, pesticides sprayed in my room, viruses that I have no immunity to and air-pollution. Last time i was wondering about this I think I got told to harden up by one of the more prolific posters, but I guess I'm not the only one who gets sick more in Pp than back home and wonders if anything can be done about it
Air pollution is a big factor here. Think about all the bacteria from the juice that flows out of the back of a garbage truck every time they stop, the bacteria in the garbage that’s thrown on the ground everywhere, the leaking/overflowing/improperly built sewage infrastructure.. all that bacteria gets mixed with the dust and kicked up into the air by every passing car and motorbike. Then we breath it in. Then there’s the people who shit and wash their ass with water from a bucket, don’t wash their hands, then touch things or serve food. The “if it’s wet it’s clean” mentality does nothing to address the spread of bacteria and viruses that people are inundated with on a daily basis here. Locals have been living in this filth forever, their bodies grew up with it. Our western, spoiled immune systems have a lot of catching up to do once we land here.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Add the chicken hanging upside-down on the motorbikes, or in open cages on trucks....

And you can spell i n f l u e n z a before reaching the age of four.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

ImageJust get one of these and you should be fine.......
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Are you lot sure that you don't just have an allergy?
I historically get a bit of Hayfever, but generally only in one area of the UK, (of course, near where my folks place is) I thought, during June/August.
Now, I get a distinct period during the period November/December in Cambodia. a quick Loratadine usually resolves it.

As for a cold- In no particular order; hot curry and a couple of hours of Tennis/Badminton, surely?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

talltuktuk wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:18 pm Think about all the bacteria from the juice that flows out of the back of a garbage truck every time they stop, the bacteria in the garbage that’s thrown on the ground everywhere, the leaking/overflowing/improperly built sewage infrastructure.. all that bacteria gets mixed with the dust and kicked up into the air by every passing car and motorbike. Then we breath it in. Then there’s the people who shit and wash their ass with water from a bucket, don’t wash their hands, then touch things or serve food. The “if it’s wet it’s clean” mentality does nothing to address the spread of bacteria and viruses that people are inundated with on a daily basis here.
Jesus, I'm feeling ill just from reading this post.......

pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

is it even a cold? A lot of cold symptoms can be cause by iritated nostrils and lungs. Long time in air con, popping in and out of aircon frequently, atmospheric affets on pollution can all irritate yur lungs and cause coghimh and sneezing with out any virus present. A mild infection or repsonse to insect bites can also kick it off. I am wondering it this is a local time for hayfever as i have had several bouts of sneezy cold symptoms in the last 3 months, none of which lasted more thatn 3 days
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

pczz wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:24 am is it even a cold? A lot of cold symptoms can be cause by iritated nostrils and lungs. Long time in air con, popping in and out of aircon frequently, atmospheric affets on pollution can all irritate yur lungs and cause coghimh and sneezing with out any virus present. A mild infection or repsonse to insect bites can also kick it off. I am wondering it this is a local time for hayfever as i have had several bouts of sneezy cold symptoms in the last 3 months, none of which lasted more thatn 3 days
Yep, October/November is the season for the dreaded red-eye, and air-borne infections. The end of the rainy season, the roads and all the crap on them dry out and turn into dust. A good time to wear a mask if you don't usually.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Bedtime reading for hypochondriacs,
http://www.wpro.who.int/cambodia/topics/en/
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

the air in the dry season is not good. full of dust plus at the moment theres burning going on everywhere and theres even pollution coming down from china at times. I dont have a solution but I have a bit of a cough most days
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic