How is life in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SabrinaMalaysia
Tourist
Malaysia

How is life in Phnom Penh?

Post by SabrinaMalaysia »

Hi, I am exploring new job in Phnom Penh.. Did sonw reading about the living styles n culture. Just wish if anyone could share:
1. Is it safe for a single lady to work there
2. Staying alone after work and weekend nake me nervous to think of. Any one care to share experiences
3. I am muslim, how is the treatment towards Muslims there? From colleagues n community
4. Any comment on halal food n groceries
5. Any recommendation for places to stay that is safe. Rental etc.

Hope to hear from you soon, especially if there are anyone from Malaysia...

Thanks
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: How is life in phnom penh

Post by cptrelentless »

There are plenty of muslims in Cambodia, it's no big deal. They're even out in the boonies. There's about six or seven mosques around the centre of PP. If you travel in a liveried tuktuk like Grab you're generally safe, the roads are pretty nuts. There's plenty of big supermarkets with imported halal food if you want to cook for yourself, or there's places to go and eat. How much do you want to spend? There's nice serviced condos which'll keep the riff-raff out but these are fairly pricey, if you rent a room they generally have a gate leading to the communal area that locks and you can bolt yourself in. If you're at home at night you're pretty much fenced in, people take security fairly seriously.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How is life in phnom penh

Post by John Bingham »

Cambodia is in my opinion a very safe country to live in as long as you take certain factors into account. I know many Chams and Malays here and they get on fine with the Buddhist majority. So far this country has managed to avoid the Islamophobia that has infected other regions. I hope this situation remains benign and we can all get on together, good luck in your new position.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: How is life in Phnom Penh?

Post by pczz »

Think its true to say that the Muslims and other groups do tend to live close to each other. As a Muslim you might find support bu googleing the mosques and asking for advice there. For instance where I live is mainly christian and buddhist. there are 3 big chritian churches, one Korean, 1 methodist and a cathlouc one and 2 twmples but no mosques and i rarely see anyone with a headscarf around here
CommandoRed
Expatriate
Denmark

Post by CommandoRed »

You are Asian? You will blend in. Not much to worry of.

White males are the ones that get trouble in Asia.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

If you are a muslim why do you,want to,come to a buddist country ?

( i have an idea why)

charlie
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:11 am If you are a muslim why do you,want to,come to a buddist country ?

( i have an idea why)

charlie
Read the OP. She says that she is thinking about relocating to PP for a job. She is asking for advice.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:25 am
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:11 am If you are a muslim why do you,want to,come to a buddist country ?

( i have an idea why)

charlie
Read the OP. She says that she is thinking about relocating to PP for a job. She is asking for advice.
Thats right, read the OP. She's relocating for a job in Cambodia.

To the OP: Cambodia is very similar to Disneyland. I'm sure you'll like it.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

( i have an idea why)

charlie
Cambodia is officially Buddhist but has a large population of muslims and christians. Plenty of "christians" like to come here from Oz, US and europe ao why shoulddn't a Muslim?
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Tightenupvolume is obviously unaware that there is a Cham Moslem minority in Cambodia. Is the big mosque still at the lake? There are mosques all over the country and Cham people along river banks especially in Kandal and around Kampot.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic