British tourist killed in Pattaya fireworks incident

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

British tourist killed in Pattaya fireworks incident

Post by Brody »

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=sKFrl_1577962879

British tourist has died after fireworks exploded adjacent to where he was standing during New Year celebrations in central Pattaya. Police were notified at 12:30am and rushed to the scene.

The 51 year old man, named by police as British citizen Gary McLaren, had serious facial injuries and was in critical condition. Despite the efforts of medical staff and emergency responders Mr. McLaren was pronounced dead at the scene.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Re: British tourist killed in Pattaya fireworks incident

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

What on earth was he doing
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Looks like he wanted to watch as closely as possible the ignition process.
The outcome didn't surprise me much
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

Another example for the list of why it is so dangerous in SEA for expats.
Was he checking to see if the fuse was lit?
Maybe, he thought it went out and he needed to relight it?
I had a drunken incident 40 years ago with 2 giant fireworks pieces I had the lame brained idea of twisting the fuses together...I bent over to relight and 1 went off. I caught part of it in my face burning my fucking eyelashes off. I closed my eyes in the nick of time.
This poor man...
There is such a fine line between getting killed and learning a lesson.
My heart goes out to his family finding this out to begin 2020.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

Now, I see the other article it was just that. He thought the fuse was out.
Just a momentary lapse in judgement and the poor guy paid the ultimate price.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

We have Bang Fai festivals in this part of Isaan. 20 foot PVC tubes packed with black powder are shot into the sky while 3000 whiskeyed up gamble on whether the rocket will stay aloft for more than 200 seconds. Commercial aircraft are diverted from the area, monks, police and everyone gamble furiously and the smoke is so thick you can barely see. Often I am the only farang in the crowd of thousands standing in a dried ricefield watching and have been allowed to help pack the powder and carry the rockets. Of course every year there are resulting deaths, rockets that go off prematurely, detonate while being packed or oddly "what goes up, must come down" and some little old lady sitting in her house on stilts gets the surprise that ends her life when a 20-foot tube of plastic falls from 10,000 feet through her roof. Unlucky is always the cause of death.

Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:45 am We have Bang Fai festivals in this part of Isaan. 20 foot PVC tubes packed with black powder are shot into the sky while 3000 whiskeyed up gamble on whether the rocket will stay aloft for more than 200 seconds. Commercial aircraft are diverted from the area, monks, police and everyone gamble furiously and the smoke is so thick you can barely see. Often I am the only farang in the crowd of thousands standing in a dried ricefield watching and have been allowed to help pack the powder and carry the rockets. Of course every year there are resulting deaths, rockets that go off prematurely, detonate while being packed or oddly "what goes up, must come down" and some little old lady sitting in her house on stilts gets the surprise that ends her life when a 20-foot tube of plastic falls from 10,000 feet through her roof. Unlucky is always the cause of death.

Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Absolute madness setting off something akin to a mini pipe bomb in a very busy narrow soi like 13/2. There was every chance a completely innocent pedestrian or motorist could have been on the receiving end of this, a pointless waste of life. I remember a few years ago a similar incident in Jomtien Plaza where another foreigner blew his hand off trying to light one of these.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic