Western Worker Injured in Moto Accident with Range Rover

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Western Worker Injured in Moto Accident with Range Rover

Post by newkidontheblock »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Shitty doctors, infection etc. They often seem to go for amputations rather quickly here. I agree that it's unlikely he went to RPP and got the best Thai doctor they had, but let's not forget that you're not exactly getting the top trauma surgeons here. It's not like he was medivaced to Ramstein or something, and infections seem to take hold really quickly.
Realistic doctors. The overall Khmer medical system is not set up for western level care. Nurses are tasked with impossible care goals, so are forced to have family members do nursing care, doctors are spread thin across multiple hospitals, rooms aren’t sealed from the outside and air conditioning isn’t available or power isn’t reliable, rooms are not constantly being disinfected, etc. In that situation, crush injuries will have a high infection rate. The safest course of action is amputation. A top trauma surgeon from anywhere would look at the lack of support and choose - amputation.

In the backdrop of all this, the Khmer nursing society wants nurses to be more ‘professional’. But it is amazing what the medical system can do with the resources it has.

Poor guy, hope he makes a speedy recovery.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

French amputee case sent to court
01 January 2020 | 23:24 ICT

Phnom Penh police chief Sar Thet said on Tuesday that a case involving a traffic accident in November that resulted in a French national losing a leg has been sent to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

Thet’s comments came after Jean-Yves Dekeister called on the police to find justice for him after he was hit by a white Range Rover while riding a motorcycle in Chbar Ampov district’s Boeung Snaor commune in the capital on his way to work on November 29.

“The two parties have a disagreement. Dekeister is demanding up to $40,000, and the case has been sent to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court,” Thet said.

Phnom Penh traffic police chief Sem Kunthea, said his department had twice tried to find an agreement between Dekeister and the driver of the Range Rover.

“Dekeister has demanded that the driver pay up to $40,000 in damages. We have sent the case to court at Dekeister’s request,” Kunthea said.

He declined to identify the person driving the Range Rover that hit Dekeister, saying it was confidential.

Dekeister said on Facebook that around 8:15am on November 29, he was riding a motorbike in Borey Peng Huoth on his way to work when he was hit by a speeding Range Rover, leaving his left leg fractured.

“There was only 200-300m left to go until I reached my office, and I had to cross the main road. I was halfway there when saw a fast car turning left. It hit me, and I lost consciousness for a while. Luckily, I did not suffer serious head injuries because I was wearing a helmet, but I saw that my legs were bloody,” he said.

Dekeister said after the incident, locals took him to hospital. But his doctor, after consulting with several colleagues, decided his left leg could not be saved and amputated it.
He said he hopes the driver will take responsibility and pay for his medical expenses as he has been left disabled for life.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... sent-court
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

This is going to be interesting court case. It looks like the car had right of way but was speeding. Someone commented earlier that the moto was going slow and that may have been a contributing factor. Hesitation can kill you. Will he get his money or will he be charged for not giving way and made to pay for the damage to the car? If I was him i would not take the chance. By the time he has paid legal fees he could well be out of pocket even if he wins
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Further info from the article above:
driver had violated the traffic laws by speeding in a housing estate and not prioritizing those in the right-hand lane.

Dekeister said while the driver had twice visited him in hospital after the accident and had promised to pay for treatment, he did not come again or remain in contact.
With some of you pontificating about speed limits and whatnot.......this did not occur on a main city road or interprovincial highway......this was in a quiet neighborhood that has speed bumps all up and down the streets and even on the side streets.

The fucker was speeding...and needs to pay up........end of.

If this mongrel is held accountable it just might set a precedent and influence the behavior of other drivers in housing communities.......and who knows......save the life of some wayward kid darting into the street to get his ball.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

We don't know if he was speeding. How did you evaluate the exact speed in this case. But wait, I think your just guessing.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

From the picture it looks like the bike was in the middle of the road and the car came from the right. If that is the case the quote about prioritising traffic in the right hand lane is wrong. the car had right of way under priorite adroit IF it happened as it looks. They may both have been at fault, him for not giving way to the right and the driver for speeding. At the end of the day this is going to be rich khmer v poor barang. perhaps his best hope is if the car driver was insured as insurance companies here like to do a deal if they can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic