Looking for cool young teachers for a new international school

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
PPTaylor
Tourist
United States of America

Looking for cool young teachers for a new international school

Post by PPTaylor »

Hello!

I have been tasked with opening a brand new international school in Phnom Penh (in the Sen Sok area).

I am looking for young, cool teachers that have some entrepreneurial ambition. This is a low risk, high reward position as I will be able to offer Vice Principal and Academic Coordinator titles plus we could offer bonuses for reaching certain milestones. This is very rare for Cambodia as the school will be entirely run by western minds. I am encouraging bringing passion and outside the box thinking to the school.

I have a strong safety background from the United States government so safety will be number one priority in new hires.

If this sounds like something of interest please send me a PM.

Teaching couples are welcome. We only have a few students now but a great facility with a nice outdoor swimming pool. We will hire more teachers as numbers pick up.

This is a really cool opportunity to be apart of something from the ground up.

Duties will include:
- teaching core subjects
- develop / implement western curriculum
- working with management team
- bring PASSION and new fun ideas

Teachers will report directly to myself.

Thank you and Happy New Year!
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Looking for cool young teachers for a new international school

Post by Soriya »

I currently live and teach in that area. Could you pm me more details. School name, salary, hours, full time/part time, grades to be taught. etc. Thxs
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

Young and cool :facepalm:
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Yeah.. cut to the chase man and leave the eye-candy fluff for the investors.
Post basic, solid info...,like
Exact location.
Name of school/institute etc
Hourly pay / salary (monthly or fortnightly?)
Working hours
Extra curricular work? Y/N + details
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

mcam wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:48 pm Young and cool :facepalm:
Well, OP was young and looking for a cool job a year ago post299677.html#p299677

Seems he has found one and hence nothing out of the ordinary to now be looking for cool, young teachers for the school :hattip: :thumb:
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

mcam wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:48 pm Young and cool :facepalm:
temporary staff then. The young cool ones never stay long and the Khmer parents prefer to see a steady, mature teacher with some expoerience
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

By what criteria are candidates determined to be cool or uncool?

Are tattoos required?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

pczz wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:55 am temporary staff then. The young cool ones never stay long and the Khmer parents prefer to see a steady, mature teacher with some expoerience
I would think that this is true.

If you're after young and cool....you'd be better off hiring a dedicated HR person because you'll be constantly interviewing and/or looking for new hires, as the multitude of gap-year muffin-heads drift in and out.

The OP is new himself so stark reality has not fully set in yet. He'd be better served hiring western staff that are settled here for the long term and have experience.

This reminds me of new schools touting that they only hire teachers that have advanced degrees and accredited teaching certificates from their home countries.

That's all well and good but I think that teachers who have worked their asses off obtaining advanced degrees and certified teacher status are not lining up to fly to Cambodia to teach for any appreciable amount of time.

That's just the reality and I'd think it'd be tough to fill out a full teacher roster with teachers with those qualifications. Of course there are the stalwart exceptions like ISPP, and Northbridge.

Schools soon realizes this I think and soon you see their requirements slide to western teachers with a TEFL/TESOL or Filipinos with every and any advanced degree/certification under the sun, but not worth the paper they're printed on.

But best of luck with 'young and cool', make sure your top desk drawer is stocked with paracetamol! :thumb:
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

“Young and cool” = millennial generation:

Hours: 3 hours, 4 days a week, from 11am to 2pm, with a 1-hour paid lunch. I don’t want to get up too early, and I don’t want to be trapped in jail (job) all day. I need to be off by 2pm after such a long and grueling work day and I have, like, a life.

Pay: $35 an hour, because I deserve to live comfortably and have everything I want immediately.

PAID vacation time: 7 weeks per year

PAID sick time: 10 weeks per year, most will be used for “mental health days”

Also the boss better be nice to me, not criticize me at all, constantly shower me with compliments and positive feedback regardless of the situation, appreciate my individuality (in any form it takes), flawlessly remember my preferred gender pronouns, and never, ever use the N word (“no”).

If you feel that you deserve me as an applicant, please ask me nicely what time it would be convenient for me to do a FaceTime video call after I wake up and feel ready to speak to you.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Serious and committed people who are qualified by experience would be much better than “young and cool”

But hey... they are giving out “titles” but methinks you have to be above “cool” for those.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic