British Woman Contracts Fatal Disease From Cambodian Mosquito Bite

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

British Woman Contracts Fatal Disease From Cambodian Mosquito Bite

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

I almost died after being bitten by a mosquito
When Donna Cox embarked on a trip of a lifetime, it ended in life-threatening circumstances
By Charlotte Dobson
9:13, 31 DEC 2019

It was the holiday of a lifetime that turned into a nightmare, and it all started with a mosquito bite.

Donna Cox, 22, flew to South East Asia to celebrate the end of her Masters degree and embark on an adventure.

Donna, from Wardle in Rochdale , had all of the necessary vaccinations and booked a one-way ticket to Vietnam in September.

"I was having the time of my life," says Donna.

"I met some absolutely amazing people.

"I never expected it all to end as quickly as it did.

Donna's ordeal started when she noticed a painful mosquito bite on her right leg when she was in Cambodia.

"There was a lump around the bite on my shin.

"It just didn't seem right.

"I'd been bitten loads when I was over there. The mosquitos seemed to love me.
"But the redness and the pain around this one bite started to spread up and down my leg."
Donna went to the pharmacist to get antibiotic cream on the advice of the hostel manager, but a day later the swelling returned and it became too painful for her to put weight on her right foot.

"I remember saying to some of the girls in the room 'Guys, I'm not being dramatic but I think I'm going to die or lose my leg.'

"I was only joking but it almost ended up coming true."

[Read on to see how it turns out.]
Spoiler:
She doesn't lose her leg, but it's a close shave.Image
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... n-17494900
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: British Woman Contracts Fatal Disease From Cambodian Mosquito Bite

Post by BR549 »

The .Manchester link tells the whole story.
Horrific to say the least.
Nowhere does it actually prove it was a mosquito.
She said it was a mosquito and was bitten loads of times and the loved her.
I thought it was a spider bite.
The flesh eating bacteria was diagnosed and treated.
Yikes.
I would like to see if there is any evidence of other cases of this flesh eating strain in Cambodia.
I see stories of people in the USA getting similar infections from swimming or even from being in the hospital.
I would like some proof it was a mosquito in Cambodia and not something she suffered in Viet nam that took a few days to develop.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Sounds like she was in a backpacker place so proabbaly a bed bug :-)
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

BR549 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:04 pm The .Manchester link tells the whole story.
Yikes.
I would like to see if there is any evidence of other cases of this flesh eating strain in Cambodia.
I see stories of people in the USA getting similar infections from swimming or even from being in the hospital.
I would like some proof it was a mosquito in Cambodia and not something she suffered in Viet nam that took a few days to develop.
I agree most likely a spider bite if anything.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:46 am
BR549 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:04 pm The .Manchester link tells the whole story.
Yikes.
I agree most likely a spider bite if anything.
Just caught 2 baby cockroaches in my blanket. nsty big bites are often put down to spiders and ants but cockroaches like to taste the buffet as well
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Has a master's degree (I assume in underwater basket weaving - like the editor of the Manchester Evening News) at 22, but takes medical advice from a hostel manager? Uh huh :roll:
You could be next.
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

Spider bite.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

That image should be burned into everyone's brain as the early warning.

Interesting that an X-Ray showed up the cause, so if anyone gets such a nasty lump that gets that bad that quickly, an X-Ray might be the first step.

She's lucky she went home when she did and didn't stay here and die of a heart attack...
bobagubi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by bobagubi »

Staph infection? Got one from an itchy bite once too. Infected my blood all the way from my knee (bite spot) to my groin. Scary shit - the jungle.
សូមអរគុណសូមជំរាបលា។
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

I was living in the US in 2014 and did nearly die from a mosquito bite. I contracted viral encephalitis, my brain swelled inside my skull, and I was gravely ill for months. I lost my memory, sense of time, basic logic, and at one point lost my ability to speak. I almost died. After I recovered, my brain was like scrambled eggs and it took me months to get back to normal. I have had zero permanent effects of the illness, which is rare. I now live in Cambodia. That being said, I’m now thoroughly covered in DEET when outside regardless of the time of day, have turned my apartment into a mosquito-proof fortress with screens, vigilantly watch for and kill any mosquitos that make it inside, and am very aware of them wherever I’m at. I’m not obsessive, it’s just become an integrated part of my life. I am still absolutely bewildered at the amount of tourists/expats that come here from developed countries and take zero precautions, either just accepting the mosquitos as part of the adventure or using the ridiculous “mosquitos don’t like me” line. I’m equally bewildered at the locals who see the Dengue carnage firsthand, know someone who’s had it, or been through it themselves yet still refuse to take any measures to combat mosquitos. Many of them just refuse to change their ways for a wide variety of nonsensical reasons. But this behavior is less acceptable from people coming from developed countries where we know better. I’m not saying this girl wasn’t taking precautions, but based people I’ve seen so far, I wouldn’t be surprised if she wasn’t.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic