Cambodia is now officially one of Southeast Asia’s most expensive countries for expats.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia is now officially one of Southeast Asia’s most expensive countries for expats.

Post by Clutch Cargo »

johnny lightning wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:40 am Don't count on 7-11 making much of a difference. They are all over the PI and in general are 5-10% more than the other mini markets. Have only tried one in VN and it seems to be the same. I suspect the Cambodian version will follow suit. For whatever reason the Thai version is pretty damn good.
Well, I reckon it will be interesting to see them trying to crack the Riverside market in particular. Unless they have better buying power or offer something different they'd be coming into an already flooded market there. Just in the last several years, mini marts have sprung up all over the place..it's ridiculous, with many so close to each other....

It's like, there were already long established ones like Panda and Kiwi et al and then people thought 'Oh, that's a good business, lots of customers' and then everyone decided to open one in whatever available shop house they could find. Now you walk past and many of these are devoid of regular customers and I wonder whether they make any profit..let alone manage to pay the staff wages.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Cambodia is now officially one of Southeast Asia’s most expensive countries for expats.

Post by phuketrichard »

johnny lightning wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:40 am Don't count on 7-11 making much of a difference. They are all over the PI and in general are 5-10% more than the other mini markets. Have only tried one in VN and it seems to be the same. I suspect the Cambodian version will follow suit. For whatever reason the Thai version is pretty damn good.
thai 7/11 prices are the same as Big C or tesco, just smaller selection
In fact the supermarket in Central is not much more and more western foods and if its on sale, cheaper than Big C
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

The 7/11's in Thailand usually are very well stocked with quality items. The difference in quality and selection between them and a mom and pop shop makes them difficult to avoid. In my opinion, they are far superior to the ones in North America. Lotus and Big C both have cut their grocery departments back to focus on "Walmart" items leaving Makro as the only large selection grocery chain in most small to medium-sized markets.
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

What I found most interesting about this ranking is the incredibly low PPI, or purchasing power index. None of the other 13 cities that were considered even came close. It doesn't give any confidence in stability when the average wage is so far below the cost of living. I think we all knew that Cambodia was becoming a two tiered society with one economy for the wealthy and another for the poor, but those numbers look abysmal. Something is going to need to give eventually. Its pretty sad when the locals in Manilla have twice the purchasing power of those in Phnom Penh. I have always thought of Manilla as an example to be avoided, not something to aspire to.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/r ... region=035
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Interesting. From the link:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:11 am
Equinix wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:25 pm
Kammekor wrote:Bought 1L of yoghurt and 500 gram of muesli today, spent over 10 bucks on it. Back home less than 3. Just an example.
I make my own yogurt... Buy milk when it's 50% off and make 5 kilo of yogurt from 10 liters of milk (I strain it so it's thick yogurt)
Yeah, did that too, until I ended up with a serious infection of the intestines. Then I quit.
$10 is approx what you pay for 1L of yoghurt and 500 gram of muesli in USA, not $3.
Powdered milk is a better way to make yogurt than using rotten milk in tropical third world country. (101 stuff)

PS - If you look forward to 7/11 arriving in Cambodia because you think it will improve your life - maybe you are in the wrong place.. ??
tireswang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tireswang »

:smileinbox: surprise you get what you pay for. I can live Cheaper in the Philippines...but for a few dollars more I can live in a semi civilised country where my Life expectancy will increase.
~
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

What difference does is make how cheap a place is if you cannot get a long term visa to live there?
It does not matter if Thailand is cheaper if I can't fucking stay there.
I am not going to be able to stay in Nam.
I came to Asia to study Buddhism and not Catholicism.
I have thought about buying a small place with my Khmer wife..But, we are not married in the government sense..We had a ceremony in her dad's house in Kampong Cham. Good enough for us.
I am liquidating my assets in the USA but I could see Cambodia changing visa extensions like Thailand and edging me out.
I don't want to wake up and find I sunk 30-40K into a place and my visa is changing.
I will rent another year and see how I feel next September when my visa extension is due.
I love dairy. I pay about double for milk..2l is about what 4l is in the USA..I use it in my coffee.
I like cheese and it is about double for a good cheddar..a nice blue cheese is less than double because it is imported into the USA as well.
Maytag Blue..the USA version is expensive.
I don't eat in restaurants..I hardly drink.
Weed is less but the quality is less..
I had a great supply line for 18 months but lost touch.
I was in LA in August and bought rec weed and it was very expensive..been to Denver 20 times doing the same the last 6 years. Taxes rape you on legal weed.
I make my own sausage.
I buy a whole ribeye Prime from New Zealand. The price is below what I paid per pound/kilo in the US for US beef 15 years ago..quality nearly as good.
Breads are kind of shitty. I want to make my own bread in 2020.
The $8 mayonnaise drove me crazy..I brought my electric wand from the USA and whip up a jar in less than 5 minutes for peanuts now.
I have a beautiful young lady.
If I want other beautiful young ladies I can find them.
I can get professional massages for very reasonable prices..NOT TUG JOBS..
I love Cambodia.
I don't care what 'pat' I am..
That is someone else's label...
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

I do not trust Numbeo at all. Having lived in 3 countries they cover, I find they drastically overestimate most cost either becasue they have a small sample or those they sample are going to more expensive areas to rent, better restaurants and buying gourmet food instead of local produce. I cook myself, I rarely drink alcohol (but soft drinks are more expensive anyway) and I can live on $650-$850 a month including everything. But then, i dont chase hookers or take drugs sothat might bump it up a bit :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic