Bad "rap" haunts Vietnam despite tourism "boom"

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Bad "rap" haunts Vietnam despite tourism "boom"

Post by sigmoid »

Although more tourists are visiting Vietnam, some inaccurate myths about this wonderful country persist.

Bad rap haunts Vietnam despite tourism boom
By Nguyen Quy December 31, 2019

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/pla ... 35451.html

1) Worsening air pollution in Hanoi and HCMC, Vietnam's largest metropolises, have become a "headline concern" in the country.

Is it really worse than other gigantic cities such as LA, NYC, Beijing, Mumbai, etc.? Modern cities around the world have this problem.

2) Road accidents remain the biggest single cause of deaths in the country as it works to make roads safer.

Again, traffic conditions in other countries are worse. Tourists are aware of the risks.

3) While the government seeks ways to persuade visitors to stay longer, rip-offs, cheating and harassment also cast an ugly glow on Vietnam’s tourism industry and negatively affect visitor experience.

Crime and cheating can be found everywhere. Just be aware of your surroundings at all times and you should be fine.

People should be focusing on the exciting nightlife, delicious street food, fantastic shopping opportunities, and fascinating tourist attractions such as Cu Chi tunnels rather than these petty minor annoyances.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Bad "rap" haunts Vietnam despite tourism "boom"

Post by Anchor Moy »

I think the bad "raps" are connected to people posting anything and everything online. When people have a good time traveling, they post their "wow, awesome" reports only on their personal facebook page, but when bad things happen - as they do - they get more widely posted on the internet, trip advisor etc.
In general, people seem to click more on the bad reviews than good reviews, so they are more visible and get shared more.
My 2c opinion for 2020. :dm: Happy New Year to all.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Vietnam had a bad rap long before social media, and many of the complaints are justified. Hanoi frequently was the most polluted city in the world last year:
But the biggest impact on tourism are the continuous scams that leave a sour taste in many visitors' mouths. Saying that other countries have the same problems does not negate the fact that these issues are present in Vietnam and are certainly one of the reasons for so few visitors coming back.

I love Vietnam but the fact remains that the country has a long way to go.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I think Vietnam gets a bad rap for a reason, it's not all just fluff from random travellers. I've never had as many people try to rip me off as in Vietnam. My first visit was around six months after I'd moved here, and I didn't go back for four years or so. My next experience was better, but still plagued by...the people themselves (which are usually the highlight of any trip). I later came to realize it wasn't just me who felt this way. There were stats a while back about repeat travelers, and Vietnam scored at the bottom. Of course, many would defend Vietnam and say it's due to a multitude of factors, such as poor facilities and so on, but the crux of the matter is (well, the elephant in the room), the people and how they treat travellers.

I've been a total of around 6 times now and it's better, but the people can make travelling laborious. I think things have definitely changed in the last ten years. Now that the younger generation is more involved things seem easier going. I remember people trying to rip me off in totally remote areas, something you'd never witness here or anywhere else. Only India comes in a close second. As with anything, individual experiences will vary, and some people hate Cambodia or other places, so whatever floats your boat.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Bad

Post by ExPenhMan »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:47 pm I think Vietnam gets a bad rap for a reason, it's not all just fluff from random travellers. I've never had as many people try to rip me off as in Vietnam. My first visit was around six months after I'd moved here, and I didn't go back for four years or so. My next experience was better, but still plagued by...the people themselves (which are usually the highlight of any trip). I later came to realize it wasn't just me who felt this way. There were stats a while back about repeat travelers, and Vietnam scored at the bottom. Of course, many would defend Vietnam and say it's due to a multitude of factors, such as poor facilities and so on, but the crux of the matter is (well, the elephant in the room), the people and how they treat travellers.

I've been a total of around 6 times now and it's better, but the people can make travelling laborious. I think things have definitely changed in the last ten years. Now that the younger generation is more involved things seem easier going. I remember people trying to rip me off in totally remote areas, something you'd never witness here or anywhere else. Only India comes in a close second. As with anything, individual experiences will vary, and some people hate Cambodia or other places, so whatever floats your boat.

I've had pretty much the same timeline of experiences, past (from 2007) to present. The most popular trick was to take advantage of tourists' inexperience with the multiple zeroes in VND and take too much money out of your hands for a tank of gas or pack of cigs, or short you on change.

More recently, I've had vendors point out exactly the bill and exact change, counting it in my hand. I've never felt being taken advantage of in all my minor purchases in Vung Tau, over a two-year period. Never had a bar/restaurant/hotel bill dispute. Ever. However, if you are going to get "involved" with someone. All bets are off. O:-)

I agree that young people are having a very positive effect on society as a whole.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Last year I spent more time in Vietnam than ever before. Since Grab pretty much eliminated all sorts of taxi scams and haggling over fares which had been far too common, I have zero complaints about my recent trips. I'd say it's an exciting country to explore and excellent value for money.

Oh, one bint at the Moc Bai / Bavet border crossing tried to shortchange me, but it was a lame attempt that was easily rectified and she might have been Khmer for all I know.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Alex wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:46 pm I'd say it's an exciting country to explore and excellent value for money.

Oh, yes. It's quite exciting. Which exciting places did you explore?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

have they figured out how to make decent beer yet. Was so disgusting when I went I had to drink spirits. Only place I ever visited with worde beer was Philippines
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

pczz wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:08 am have they figured out how to make decent beer yet. Was so disgusting when I went I had to drink spirits. Only place I ever visited with worde beer was Philippines
Huge craft beer scene now with some excellent beers. And I think Saigon special is better than most beers in Cambodia.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

I should imagine quite a few people only visit HCMC which itself a very cut throat city and probably leaves people with a sour taste after visiting and getting ripped off. I had some shit munching bitch give me a hefty slap across the back in Ben Thanh market because I didn't buy her wares. I was really polite and nice about declining too which is why what fucked me off massively. I may have understood her anger towards me had I been rude and told her to shit off instead of nicely saying 'no thank you' in English and Vietnamese.

Once you get out of HCMC the locals are a whole bunch nicer. Had some lady chase me down the street in Vung Tau once trying to give the tip I had left for her back to me after a huge, tasty cheap feast at her restaurant.
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic