New Year's Adam

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

New Year's Adam

Post by Ghostwriter »

Since English doesn't genre words (unlike French and other latin languages), how come you do say NYEve and not New Year's Adam ?

A year (une année) is a feminine word, but you don't use genre. And we Frogs we don't have an expression with Eve about the new year beginning.

Actually, Eve was made from a rib from Adam, so she isn't even the first human (if you do believe this stuff of course, which i don't but anyway).

So wtf ?

If any good Anglophon soul want to explain this, welcome.

Anyway,

Happy 2020 !
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: New Year's Adam

Post by Mishmash »

Ghostwriter wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:36 pm Since English doesn't genre words (unlike French and other latin languages), how come you do say NYEve and not New Year's Adam ?

A year (une année) is a feminine word, but you don't use genre. And we Frogs we don't have an expression with Eve about the new year beginning.

Actually, Eve was made from a rib from Adam, so she isn't even the first human (if you do believe this stuff of course, which i don't but anyway).

So wtf ?

If any good Anglophon soul want to explain this, welcome.

Anyway,

Happy 2020 !
Eve - short for evening...

Happy 2020 mon camarade expatrié
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Stop thinking and have another drink it's not even new year if you're in Cambodia but nevertheless cheers enjoy :popcorn:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

[quote=Mishmash post_id=387769

Eve - short for evening
[/quote]

Facepalm. Duh.

I like it when the mystery is solved. Thank you !

Go party now, quick !
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Bonne fucking Annie
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

cptrelentless wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:41 pm Bonne fucking Annie
With his baguette :beer3:

Never forget Ghost's marzipan dildo addition to the lexicon in 2019...
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

This is one of the main reasons why British speaking people find foreign languages so confusing. As has been pointed out, 'eve' has nothing to do with femininity or masculinity, it simply means 'evening' - or the day before (even though evening strictly means the late afternoon/ early night of the previous day)

But for languages where nouns are either female or male, who decided that? Why is a table female or male? It's just a table - THE table.

I realise that language is important on a cultural level, but let's all be honest with ourselves, if everyone spoke the same language, (English would be the obvious choice) but I couldn't care less to be honest if it was English or Swahili, if we all spoke the same language, the world would be so much more of a harmonious place.

The reason why the Brits, Americans, Aussies, New Zealanders, Canadians etc have the bond that they do is because they all understand WFT they're saying to each other.

Representatives of different countries can all sit around in the UN with their earpieces listening to translations but language is about more than just words being translated from one language into another. There's a passion, a resonance, stressed syllables and certain vocabulary that only exists in the language of the person speaking that doesn't translate well into an earpiece.

It's about time we had an international language.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

I sit and listen to people speaking English from the various countries of the World and I don't understand a fucking word they are saying.
The skank from London babbling behind me last August in a PP hotel dining room.
Yes, unfortunately, I understood her English I just did not understand her words.
The twat in the shared taxi from the UK in Jamaica who went on and on in English whose words were jibberish at best.
The US guy I knew in Sihanoukville who visited me in Kampot whose English spewed out like a propaganda record with a broken needle.
The Aussie mates who go on and on in English and not one word makes a lick of sense.
The main stream media English speaking channels that go on and on in English with their scripted insanity talking down to their audiences with their snickering leers.
Yo entendiendo
Yo comprendo
There is the rub.
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

Not gonna lie, this thread got me a headache hahaha.. eve vs adam.. probably the booze haha
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic