Difamation law in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
camboyano.hispano
Tourist
United States of America

Difamation law in Cambodia

Post by camboyano.hispano »

I recently quieted my job at a school I was working at.
When some students and parents asked me why I stop working at the school I answered back on social media and now the school is suing me for difamation
The reason being that I used the school name and they say I can't do that. I don't know what do. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Difamation law in Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Leave the country.

Then try to blend in somewhere as a student of English, rather than trying to teach English.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

camboyano.hispano wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:31 pm I recently quieted my job at a school I was working at.
When some students and parents asked me why I stop working at the school I answered back on social media and now the school is suing me for difamation
The reason being that I used the school name and they say I can't do that. I don't know what do. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.
Bad mouthing ex-employers on publicly accessible social media posts is never a good idea.
What did you say about the school?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Does CEO count as a social media platform?

CEOCambodiaNews threw in an ominous NB last week.
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:41 am [CEO News: Note that posts on social media are heavily monitored in Cambodia.]
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

epidemiks wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:09 pm
camboyano.hispano wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:31 pm I recently quieted my job at a school I was working at.
Bad mouthing ex-employers on publicly accessible social media posts is never a good idea.
What did you say about the school?

Bad-mouthing ex-employers is never a good idea, period.

I hope OP was not hired as an English teacher.....
Ricky Shaw
Expatriate
Djibouti

Post by Ricky Shaw »

Teaching what subject?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Ricky Shaw wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:39 pm Teaching what subject?
HR?
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

From what I understand defamation is taken quite seriously in Cambodia. It wan't long ago that someone was defaming a certain bank on Facboook, trying to say that they were dispensing fake $100 bills, which they got into quite a bit of trouble for,

It would never be a good idea to write anything potentially defamatory on a public forum where you are easily identifiable, such as Facebook. CEO offers a limited amount of anonymity but even then I wouldn't be surprised if legal action was threatened against the website if they allowed a potentially defamatory post to remain on the site without deleting it.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
camboyano.hispano
Tourist
United States of America

Post by camboyano.hispano »

They said I didn't return the teaching materials and other school property on a letter to the parents whose children attend that school. I simply replied to the accusations. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to say the school name.
stupid-barang
Expatriate

Post by stupid-barang »

Time to break out the checkbook. I wonder what would ceo do if the powers asked to turn over identifying info about a poster, would they do it.?
To the op, if you need to bad mouth someone, first download tor browser, create the fake social media account and then have at it.

BTW this is an ULPT.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic