How does one qualify for a Retirement visa?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How does one qualify for a Retirement visa?

Post by Dangerous Dave »

(Just meaning that their responses are generally bankable.)

For the benefit of the OP, most of what you've been told you *have* to have, is stuff I didn't have -- and I got the Retirement visa anyway. Not saying that you should discount anyone else's reactions, but there does seem to be quite a few cracks in The Wall of What it Takes.

The main thing you've been told that *is* indubitably true, in my experience, is that the days of having a "business" visa and not actually doing anything with it, are over. All holders of a current 6- or 12-month EB must have a work permit, and applying for a work permit after renewing an EB that didn't have one associated it with it, can result in a fine. So the huge advantage of an ER is that you don't have to spend the same money twice on the work permit (or work).

But there does seem to be some question/subjectivity/luck as to what it takes to qualify.
Ifivetoldu1s
Tourist
Belgium

Post by Ifivetoldu1s »

Dangerous Dave wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:15 pm I am 48 and I got an ER by submitting the following to "Ya" at CTS travel at 136 and Riverside:

1) Proof of automatic monthly deposit to my brokerage account
2) US-notarized Letter from my last employer saying that I qualified for, and receive, a monthly settlement from them (no amount necessary in that letter).
3) $365 in USD ($295 for the visa and $70 for "rush" service, which took about five business days).

I also recommend -- if no one else has already -- that you join the Facebook group on this subject. It's called "Cambodia Visa and Work Permit Group" and it's moderated by some of the heaviest hitters in the independent-expat community here, including Lina Goldberg (author of "Move to Cambodia").

Cheers and good luck.
Thank for this post.
Has anybody used Ya recently?
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

If I did the move from Thailand to Cambodia, would I be able to legally bring my car (right side steering wheel), motorcycles or household possessions? Would I be able to register any of the vehicles in Cambodia?
Also I'm into electronics and have a large collection of expensive test equipment and parts, any problem getting those in along with my clothes and household stuff?
I also have two dogs, can they be brought in with a vet's certificate?
Are Cambodians as xenophobic as the Thais?

For those who do not know, Thailand has just announced changes in their retirement visa renewal that may make this my last year here. Hopefully things will work out but I don't want to be in a bad position in case they don't.

Would Phnom Penh be a good place to live at first while I learned about Cambodia and found my way around better?

Thank you in advance for any help. This might end up working out for the best; Thailand is getting a little too developed for my taste and the constant Xenphoobia and use of the word "Farnag" wears you down.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

car, moto u'd need pay tax so not worth it. Household stuff, electronics, dogs could be easily brought in by land.

Camboida is not same as thailand and it is NOT cheaper either......suggest you make a 1 month trip and see if it fits into what you want/desire.
I am never called Farang and i live here as well and if that bothers you, than being asked for a moto every 10 feet in PP will drive you crazy..

You might find ur better off borrowing the 800,000, (rather than depending on the letter) for 3 months to do ur extension...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Robins wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:12 am Are Cambodians as xenophobic as the Thais?

Would Phnom Penh be a good place to live at first while I learned about Cambodia and found my way around better?

Thailand is getting a little too developed for my taste and the constant Xenophobia and use of the word "Farang" wears you down.
Definitely less xenophobic (if much at all)..and don't have the airs of superiority the thais have. People are friendly and much less jaded to foreigners.

PP best place to start. Then if you want quieter, consider Kampot, Kep or Battambang. Sihanoukvile fooked by chinese now.

Cambodia much less developed and commercial but changing fast in PP.

Khmers refer to foreigners as 'barang' but it is not used as much as the thais and not in same manner.

These are the main reasons why I chose to live here rather than thailand.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Post by michael.stewart1 »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:11 am
Robins wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:12 am Are Cambodians as xenophobic as the Thais?

Thailand is getting a little too developed for my taste and the constant Xenophobia and use of the word "Farang" wears you down.
Definitely less xenophobic (if much at all)..and don't have the airs of superiority the thais have. People are friendly and much less jaded to foreigners.

PP best place to start. Then if you want quieter, consider Kampot, Kep or Battambang. Sihanoukvile fooked by chinese now.

Khmers refer to foreigners as 'barang' but it is not used as much as the thais and not in same manner.

I guess I should go to sihanoukville. I am always excited to meet Chinese people. They are fun to talk to. I would really like to find a Chinese speaking girlfriend.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

By all means head to Sihanoukville.
The chinese that are constantly in the news all look like upstanding citizens and the girls are wonderful.
Retire to Sihanoukville.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Dangerous Dave wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:15 pm I am 48 and I got an ER by submitting the following to "Ya" at CTS travel at 136 and Riverside:

1) Proof of automatic monthly deposit to my brokerage account
2) US-notarized Letter from my last employer saying that I qualified for, and receive, a monthly settlement from them (no amount necessary in that letter).
3) $365 in USD ($295 for the visa and $70 for "rush" service, which took about five business days).

I also recommend -- if no one else has already -- that you join the Facebook group on this subject. It's called "Cambodia Visa and Work Permit Group" and it's moderated by some of the heaviest hitters in the independent-expat community here, including Lina Goldberg (author of "Move to Cambodia").

Cheers and good luck.
Nice plug :-)
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:11 am

According to my Landlord barang originally referred to the French, now includes all WQhite foreigners but he does not use the word for non-white foreigners
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic