House addresses (or lack thereof) in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

House addresses (or lack thereof) in Cambodia

Post by talltuktuk »

Filling out legal paperwork that asks for my physical address. However, no one - including the owner of my apartment building - knows the address. He just says there isn’t one. The immigration police just told him to write the village name on the paperwork. This is a large, modern, fully equipped apartment building in town in Siem Reap. According to google, the village drink shop next door has a real address. Is this really such a common thing? Do entire streets really not have any names/numbers or do people just not like using/knowing them? How does this work?
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: House addresses (or lack thereof) in Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Cement road, next to drink shop.
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

Hard to say without specific knowledge of your area. Seems completely reasonable to me though. When I was in Kep, my address was simply "Kep" with a phone number. No building had an address. Always worked on my immigration forms. Lots of places like that in Cambodia. You can always list Google Earth coordinates if you really want something more.

And I wouldn't trust Google to give you a genuine address. Even they say their addresses are only "approximate".
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

If you have a proper lease, the address the owner uses should be on it. I live in Siem Reap and my address is just the area as my side street does not have a name. I even have GPS coordinates and can find the place on google earth due to the weird roof design.
I know it is a bit nerve wracking filling out an immigration form with just a bare description.
I carry my lease in my backpack when I leave the country, so, I have it with me. I copied down the wording and keep it in my wallet. But, it is too long to squeeze into the space on the form.
It is kind of like my place in rural Kansas USA that never had street signs or addresses until 2004 when they put them in for 911 emergency grids.
People just had names for roads that the locals used.
When I started building my place in 2006 I went to the courthouse and they made up a number for my place which in hindsight was wrong. But, my closest neighbor is 1km away. UPS and fedex find me.
I am heading back in a couple of weeks and will have my contract and wording in hand.
No worries.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

What does the electric bill say about address ?
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

Kep has street signs now with numberd streets as does Kampot where I know buildings have numbers as do Sihanoukville and Phnom Phen.....at least older buildings maybe new ones have yet to display them........below is a link to Post codes in Cambodia

https://en.youbianku.com/Cambodia
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

beaker wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:19 am What does the electric bill say about address ?
Leccy bills all go by meter number
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Go the sangkat your place is in, and tell them you need a residency letter to apply for a driving license. Then they have to come up with some form off address which you can use in the future.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

cptrelentless wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:16 am
beaker wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:19 am What does the electric bill say about address ?
Leccy bills all go by meter number
They also have the Postal Address in the upper left corner along with Consumer Number and Customer Number. I don't see the meter number on my bill unless what you mean is the Consumer or Customer Number.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:31 am Go the sangkat your place is in, and tell them you need a residency letter to apply for a driving license. Then they have to come up with some form off address which you can use in the future.
price varies depending on how near it is to khmer New Year, Phum Benh or the Village chiefs daughter wedding. Lowest I have paid is $20, most I have been asked for is $100 :-)
If you do want to use it for anything make sure they give you the correct document. For driving license it must have a photo of you, your name written in Khmer and English and your address. They have samples at the Aeon 2 license centre you can take to the snagkatcentre to make sure you get the right thing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic