Fake $100 bills from ATM. Urban myth or reality.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Fake $100 bills from ATM. Urban myth or reality.

Post by takeoman »

King Keil wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:34 pm Always threatening and bullying people in every response from the bank is very unprofessional.
They very well know the state of these law enforcement agencies they want to work with.
Very unusual behaviour for a bank.
I wonder why it is mostly ABA who is in the news with these issues, rarely hear about other banks.
They should explain why it's impossible that there is fake money in their ATMs instead of threatening people, that would reassure the faith in this bank.
In this thread alone Phillip, Acleda,ANZ, and Canadia have been mentioned with regard to dispensing these "copy" notes. So it is not solely an ABA problem. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

Brody wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:49 pm
Kevin168 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:39 pm After all this, I still believe this is not fake news. Scambodia is the very right place for this shit to happen. I just think ABA uses their power and money vs one poor dude for some fake bills from an ATM. And we all know poor dude have no chance to win no matter this real or fake.
Why did he wait 18 days though? I guess it depends on how much he took out to consider how reasonable it would be to not notice for soo long.

Did he pull out a grand? Maybe he pulls the entirety of his monthly Social Security pension at one go and sticks it in his bedside dresser.

Maybe then I could believe that it took so long to notice. Maybe
Jeremie Reb is the founder and executive director of a firm called Archomatik, so doubt he was drawing his Social Security pension.
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
Toothpaste sandwich
Tourist

Post by Toothpaste sandwich »

Just this morning I withdrew money from canadia atm at sorya centrepoint. Received 3 false $100 bills with “COPY” on the bottom.
The banks hotline was less than helpful and they didn’t seem too concerned about checking the machine.
Found this discussion when I did a google search - definitely not an urban myth!
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Always Always and of course Always....

Check the notes under the cameras at the ATM.

Don't care about the massive queue behind you.

Don't care about anything other than the notes being real and on record.

The machines (except machines at Bank branches) are filled by Security Cash-In-Transit companies.

Cambodian security is not world-class. There are many holes and people are quick to spot a weakness in the system.

Once again - Check the notes FIRST and under the camera.

It's worth a few seconds of your time to check and count the notes unless you earn zillions per hour and perhaps your time is valuable with a hot hooker waiting
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Toothpaste sandwich wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:40 pm Just this morning I withdrew money from canadia atm at sorya centrepoint. Received 3 false $100 bills with “COPY” on the bottom.
The banks hotline was less than helpful and they didn’t seem too concerned about checking the machine.
Found this discussion when I did a google search - definitely not an urban myth!
ye right :facepalm: :please:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Sophan
Tourist

Post by Sophan »

Just to inform that I got fake 2 piece of 100$ from BRED bank atm at the airport at 8 december, when I wildrew 500$. Becareful.
I complained at their central agency, the bank said the fakes are not from them. They said they will do investigations and will contact me. Since I still do not have news.
It seems to be I will lose these moneys.
I'm wondering if it worths to make a complaint at the police station.
Next time it would be better to willdraw directly in agency and check carefully the money. In case of an issue you can complain directly at the agency.
lucathenomad
Expatriate
Italy

Post by lucathenomad »

Last night I withdrew 180$ from Sathapana branch ATM.
The 100$ bill was obviously fake :evil:
I didn't take receipt,never did, but put up the note close to camera.
Went this morning and it was replaced without much fuss!
Still amazed how this can happen,khmer are always so careful about this stuff.
When I see them handling money in banks they always seem to double if not triple check quantity and quality of notes :?
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

lucathenomad wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:37 pm Last night I withdrew 180$ from Sathapana branch ATM.
The 100$ bill was obviously fake :evil:
I didn't take receipt,never did, but put up the note close to camera.
Went this morning and it was replaced without much fuss!
Still amazed how this can happen,khmer are always so careful about this stuff.
When I see them handling money in banks they always seem to double if not triple check quantity and quality of notes :?
That is good to know . That they realized and refunded
Whichever bank i go to i make a habit of checking both sides of every 100$ i ever take out ...

Never had a fake from any ATM ever .. if i find a copy on the street or somewhere , ( i’m gullible and think some day i might find a real one ) anybody always tell me to ditch it as I could be in one trouble just for having it with my other money in my pocket .

Weirdos
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

Toothpaste sandwich wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:40 pm Just this morning I withdrew money from canadia atm at sorya centrepoint. Received 3 false $100 bills with “COPY” on the bottom.
its beyond me why a country allows counterfit money. I guess its an important part of the local religion but most other countries dont allow it and its for many good reasons including reducing the chances of this sort of scenario happening
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

fsdfdsdf wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:41 pm its beyond me why a country allows counterfit money. I guess its an important part of the local religion but most other countries dont allow it and its for many good reasons including reducing the chances of this sort of scenario happening
It's because most of the people getting scammed are foreigners. If more Cambodians were scammed with these, they would do something about it.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic