Bangkok soon. What's hot and what's not?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Bangkok soon. What's hot and what's not?

Post by BR549 »

I thought the floating market was the epitome of a tourist trap. It was nothing like I imagined. The taxi from the hotel taking us to the guy who paid him off..the same tired cheap assed junk souvenirs.
The same gaudy t shirts. The same mass produced art. My boat was nice. Then, we ran into a mass of chinese in little crafts. I bought a Singha from an old lady in a one person boat for the price of 3 at 7/11.
Kept stopping for bullshit tours. I could feel rain and told the boat man to haul ass and get me back to the taxi. The monsoon came. I can only imagine those roasting chinese ladies with their umbrellas on their tiny boats getting drenched.
Then, the taxi driver tried to stop and get me to go into a tailor and buy a suit during a monsoon down pour. Even though the Thai lady I was with had told him the hotel.
I got a kick out of how these flim flam artists expected me to just jump out of the boat and taxi.
Other than that...it was awesome.
Give me Sukhothai and my old town hotel's free bicycle anytime!!!
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

I like walking from hualapong station to banglamphoo through chinatown and ratanakosin. Never disappoints. End it at gecko bar for people watching.
Also going to bang kachao for a nice day riding a bicycle in beautiful nature is pretty cool.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

King Keil wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:46 am I like walking from hualapong station to banglamphoo through chinatown and ratanakosin. Never disappoints. End it at gecko bar for people watching.
Also going to bang kachao for a nice day riding a bicycle in beautiful nature is pretty cool.
Good recommendation, and much easier now with the new MRT in operation. Can add a visit to Lumpini parc on the same day.
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

Yeah the MRT is great, will also take you to places like Udom Suk market, for a local experience beyond the usual tourist trap.
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

You might want to check out the national sport of Muay Thai. There's free shows on Sundays at Channel 7 stadium, which is just around the corner from the Chatuchak Market and Mochit BTS, and the Muay Thai Super Champ show on Phra Athit Rd. near Khao San Rd. There's also Rajadamnern Stadium which puts on fights almost every night of the week, but the ticket price for a show there is around US $50.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic