Bangkok soon. What's hot and what's not?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Bangkok soon. What's hot and what's not?

Post by Yerg »

stroodsue wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:00 am
BR549 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:37 am Wat Po is worth your while for sure.
I think comparing Angkor Wat to Bangkok is like comparing an apple to a piece of fried chicken.
The reclining Buddha is spectacular.
I guess you are a female.
I would of suggested you spend 4 days in Chiang Mai.
I have spent a lot of time in Thailand top to bottom and Bangkok is my least favorite by far.
That said, My Thai lady friend from Koh Samui loved to shop in Bangkok.
It is a lot easier to tell you things NOT to do.
Don't go to the floating market would be top of my list of touristy things.
Our trips will be day to day as hotel booked for the week.

Why NOT to go to The Floating Market?
Sue, go to the floating market. I don't know about you, but if you like taking photographs, it is well worth a trip. There are some tired, ingrained and negative views about SEA from some. Plough your own furrow!!! There's plenty to do in BKK, plenty to see. I always found that taking a wander and seeing where it took me was always more fun than over-planning. Don't let others put you off. Enjoy your stay there!!!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Go down to the oriental hotel and look around, than hop on a river boat heading up the Chai Phraya River, when it ends, hop on another heading up a klong, dont worry about where your going as ur just traveling to see life on the river.
a very great inexpensive way to spend a afternoon or whole day away from the heat and tourists
stop at Wat Arun
Wat Pho ( Reclining Buddha ) is worth a visit, as is the Erawan Shrine on PLoenchit road

Chatuchak on the weekends is a must, also a walk around China town

At night see what the chatter is all about and visit Nana plaza an than walk up Sukumvit to Soi cowboy

Tons of places to shop, but as ur heading to Cambodia, dont buy much as i assume ur flying home out of bangkok, so shop on the way back

When ur hungry, stop and eat at any of the numerous street food stalls :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

Vertigo bar has great views. Street and water bus fares are 10-15 baht and go everywhere. Street buses are all on Google maps now, and offer great views of street life passing by. Get off at random, look for wats that don't charge an entry fee, lots of hidden gems. In fact Google maps and Grab have changed everything about getting around Bangkok these days.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Some good tips above.

For a relaxing evening of good international and Thai food varieties, plus loads of drink choices, go to W District night market at Phra Khanong BTS, take exit 3. It's listed on Google Maps.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

monomial wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:14 pm BTW, Bang Sue is just a stop away from Chatuchak market. If you are there over the weekend, Chatuchak Weekend Market can be an interesting diversion, and you can get your picture there next to the sign at the same time. Parts of Chatuchak are also open on Wednesdays.
This. I went with Mrs Cargo earlier this year. She picked up a lot of clothes and a great leather handbag that she reckoned were well priced compared to PP (she's khmer). Out of interest, check out the section where they sell pets and all the cutie dogs/cats etc that the thais love. We found it a bit hard to find as it's a bit hidden away at the back but just ask around and/or check out the map on their website.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

stroodsue wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:07 pm I know what is a MUST for me!
I see an area called Bang Sue!
🤪😅 Need to have photo by a sign for there that's for sure!
When you get that photo taken , dress like a respectable lady. You don't want to get thousands of phone calls from guys thinking they can Bang Sue.
:stir:
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Post by hiway5 »

stroodsue wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:07 pm I know what is a MUST for me!
I see an area called Bang Sue!
🤪😅 Need to have photo by a sign for there that's for sure!
There are signs at Bang Sue railway station
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Good reason to visit the floating market.

To see the puppy chilling out in the refrigerator.

To the eternal traveller to the KOW, the temples in Thailand look more colorful, less like copies of the ruins of Angkor.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Terminal 21 shopping center has the best food court in Asia and5 or 6 levels of good shopping. JJ mall is located next to chatachuk market and has killer prices but bargain none the less. Chatachuk 's animal market has every animal ever imagined for sale, but don t take pictures or you will find yourself in probs likely. Asiatique is fun but touristy place along the river to shop, night time is best. Artbox market Soi 10 Sukhumvit is young and hip if you are. Chinatown is fun to get lost in. Kho San road never fails to disappoint if you like people watching.
Old8404
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Old8404 »

Siam Naramit is an amazing stage show / production. When visiting Bkk I always go and enjoy the show
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic