Starting a youtube channel before my move to cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Starting a youtube channel before my move to cambodia

Post by JamesAlexander89 »

HappyChappy wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:54 pm Look what you've all done!! he's not returned since his ear bashing!

.... damn you kung fu hillbilly
sorry to keep you waiting man i work a lot of hours and its the holidays. i'm just going through all the replies now but i appreciate your concern! i wouldn't call that an ear bashing at all, it wasn't audio! more like an eye/brain bashing. it was a very low brow exchange in my opinion so it wasn't the first thing on my mind to attend to. as you can tell from literally every post i write i like to give a lot of content so i had to take some time until i cold really dedicate myself to a response. i did reply to the MOD that linked our conversation though if you would like to give that a look. im waiting for your seal of approval.
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:39 pm OP - I applaud your efforts and wish you the best of success. Although I am puzzled about you starting videos about Cambodia, before going.

As the eternal traveller to the Kingdom of Wonder, I myself like to post photos and descriptions of my memorable experiences and hope the members of CEO chime in with their contributions to enrich the group.

Good luck with your endeavor.
thanks man i appreciate the response and good wishes. i totally understand the criticism i kinda jumped the gun on make the vids. it was at the front of my mind yet my departure date was so far away. working 50 something hours a week, holidays and family, spending time with friends before i go took up most of my time. i realized that i was a little preemptive on the announcement. i realized i still have plenty to take care of before i left it was a bit silly that i made a post so far in advance. im not sure what these people think my videos will be about but it will mainly be about teaching, creating lesson plans, and showing how to conduct a classroom in hopes of inspiring others who want to bring quality lessons to the country. everything else would be a very distant second priority of the channel.

thanks again for the response.
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

sigmoid wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:18 pm
JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:57 pm
sigmoid wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:59 am
JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:55 pm Hello everyone!

I introduced myself last month in the general talk section and got a lot of different responses and really appreciate the input. I started a youtube channel to document my experiences before heading to Cambodia to teach English as well as daily life, food, looking for a job and apartment, etc... This channel will be geared towards others wanting to move to Cambodia for long term living and or teaching/working as I will be focusing videos around daily life and the process of settling in Cambodia.
To be frank, the purpose of this is not really clear.

If you want food, you go to a restaurant, supermarket, market or convenience store. To find a job, you contact potential employers. If you want to teach, you contact the schools. To find an apartment, you look around or use an agent. For daily life, wake up and do some stuff and then later, go back to sleep.

Anyway, that's what we did in the old days before the internet, things like having a scrap of paper with an address scrawled on it or an ad torn from the classified section of a newspaper and flagging down a taxicab, motorcycle taxi or tuk tuk, or going to a payphone with a pocketful of coins, wandering through the wet market until finding something that looked edible, or walking around the neighborhood and using our own eyes to find the best street food, and getting info by talking to the people around us, both locals and other expats.

I think having an excess of foreknowledge before arriving somewhere really diminishes the sense of adventure.
If you don't understand the concept i would direct you to the youtube channel to the watch the nine or so minute video that towards the end explains what the purpose is. being from a rugged do it all yourself be prepared beforehand generation i would think you could spare 9 minutes of internet time watching the video to better understand before writing your opinion. i come from a generation that reads and studies and formulates opinions then shares with the community not just replying with my own predetermination before putting forth any actual effort. wish you luck.

Well, I see that you are trying to help others by providing information, which is quite admirable.

My basic point though was just that, these days, with globalization and development, the logistIcs of being an expat in Asia are not that different from those in the west. Modern apartments buildings and condominiums have been built, Supermarkets and convenience stores are open, people can order food and goods online and book transportation, the banking system is linked with the rest of the world, there are numerous language institutes and "international" schools that have their own websites and advertise online, etc, Of course, the countryside is still catching up in this regard.

Anyway, when you get here, focusing on weird local cultural phenomena and stuff that's happening around you may prove to be more interesting rather than your own personal journey.

As someone mentioned above, "Gator", I believe, don't worry too much about impressing people on this forum, who have at least given you their honest opinion ("we don't care"). Just do what you are going to do anyway. The important thing is to enjoy each day before the political, economic, environmental and social apocalypse occurs. Have a good one!
love this response man it gives me a renewed faith in the CEO community! i totally agree with and respect your input. i have noticed after all the responses and time to reflect that yes nobody really cares and i was a bit naive to think that i could make some meaningful connections and contacts by just posting "hey i am arriving look at me" LOL lesson learned! but i did link up with some cool people even though it was like 1% of the people. 1% is better than 0 i suppose.
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by jovial fucher »

I would be very careful about whom you take a video of! There are people here who do not want to be on social media or in some stupid video.

You shoot me in a video, you will see me go from jovial fucher to gonna shove that camera up your ass, crazy! You've been warned! :evil:
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Lol the handbags in here, lets all just be friends ok?!
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

Ravensnest wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:28 pm You are setting yourself up to receive a beating from your grammar you have demonstrated so far. For decades, there have been awful backpackers that were (and still are) hired to teach with no education nor knowledge. I currently work with a few teachers that do not understand the daily material they are trying to teach their kids for the day. So, needless to say, teachers here do not have a good rep.

I believe that any YouTuber that states they do not want attention (not caring about likes, shares, views, etc...) is full of BS. I honestly wish you good luck though.
first off i am not a backpacker trying to fund my travels i will have two suitcases when i arrive. also as i stated before this is a forum post. it is a informal platform. expecting correct grammar and punctuation on a informal internet post would be a bit absurd. my resume and or countless business and company emails i have had to write recently would be more than satisfactory to you i would think. im not sure where exactly you went to school nor do i really care im not trying to imply you are uneducated but you learn early in american highschool between formal and informal english platforms. talking with friends, informal. talking with family, usually informal. writing on a forum or internet post, almost the most informal setting possible. i wouldn't expect my employer or a business associate scouring the depths of online platforms for grammar and punctuation. i am 100% aware that i am not capitalizing and punctuating and using proper grammar in these posts. because where employers and business and costumer contacts DO search for formal english are resumes/CV's, business emails, interview settings, meetings, and within your teaching or work related technique. i can tell you are genuinely concerned that my students wont be getting a proper education but i can assure you that i am a cut above the average crappy teachers that you have seen that create a bad reputation for teachers. i wont fall into that category i promise. to be honest im not worried about thrashings here on CEO most people just want to take a shot at someone troll a bit and move on. im more concerned about the opinions of my employers and fellow professionals which i can guarantee wont take place on CEO.

to be honest that is what a lot of what my channel will be about. offering ideas and techniques to provide a enjoyable as well as effecting teaching structure or techniques to raise the quality of english comprehension among english learning students.
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

jovial fucher wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:31 am I would be very careful about whom you take a video of! There are people here who do not want to be on social media or in some stupid video.

You shoot me in a video, you will see me go from jovial fucher to gonna shove that camera up your ass, crazy! You've been warned! :evil:
i think a lot of people have been confused about what my channel will be about. maybe i am partially to blame for that due to the way i worded my initial posts. the channel will be 90% focused on sharing lesson plans, teaching technique for different types of class sizes and student skill levels, ensuring comprehension of course materials, keeping students engaged, ect... a very small portion will be me walking around cambodia recording stuff. when i mentioned daily life and and travel or whatever i mainly meant seeing sights and showing off the local food and such when i get the chance. showing differences in culture. i wont be carring around my digital camera on a stick doing a bunch of fake corny commentary. so i would expect there to be very little of taking videos of other people.

thanks for commenting that i think i may have missed that interpretation of what i am attempting. maybe that is why i am getting so much hatred or something.
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:33 am Lol the handbags in here, lets all just be friends ok?!
i am used to it. my first or second ever post was just saying hey i want to meet some like minded professionals im coming to teach english and want to meet people like me.... someone responded.. "you will be begging for money on 136 and riverside within 6 months you have no idea what you are doing", obviously i may get a bit defensive lol... that kinda has summed up the CEO community in a lot of ways but im glad you are more on the positive side.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

It looks like you will be arriving and making your debut about the same date as I return from my 2019 mind fuck by my demented mother's death.
I moved to Cambodia to learn, not to teach.
I have learned a great deal and have barely scratched the surface.
You might want to swallow your pride and listen to some of these old fucks. They may be a bit crusty but they are full of wisdom and experience. The heat and humidity should mellow you out a bit and I am sure you will do fine.
I admire anyone who wants to teach and has the skill and patience to be effective.
I was a Chef for decades all across the USA. I had little patience for staff who were not eager to learn or had chips on their shoulders due to some social issue.
I came to Cambodia to learn how to suffer and fade away.
You are coming to make a difference and document your experience.
May I suggest you look for a job in beautiful Sihanoukville and get to work?
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by jovial fucher »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:33 am Lol the handbags in here, lets all just be friends ok?!
The only handbag is the fool who lets other violate them. I'm indifferent to your opinion.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic