Hong Kong Watch

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Hong Kong Watch

Post by crob »

Video sparks fears Hong Kong protesters being loaded on train to China

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3819595
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Posted from Hong Kong last night:

Tommy Walker‎
to
South East Asia Backpacking
ALERT: Hong Kong

Travellers in Hong Kong, please stay away from TST, Jordan, Yau Ma Tei and Mongkok area.

Extremely dangerous. Fires, tear gas and petrol bombs. Jordan Road inparticular is a warzone.

I'm on the frontline, I'll try to reply to anyone reaching out in Hong Kong, when I can.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

trouble still going on ....When ( will?) China put their foot down?
Business are losing millions of $$$
Third day of Christmas clashes in Hong Kong

Police and pro-democracy protesters clash inside shopping malls as chief executive said Christmas had been ‘ruined’

Hong Kong endured a third straight day of political unrest over the Christmas period Thursday as police and pro-democracy protesters clashed inside shopping malls.

Protesters spent the afternoon on Thursday marching through multiple malls chanting anti-government and anti-police slogans.

Riot police swooped on dozens of black-clad protesters in one mall in Tai Po district, using pepper spray as well as blue dye to mark suspects, said a reporter on the scene.

....Christmas Eve saw some of the worst violence in weeks as protesters and police fought running battles for hours in a busy shopping district.
https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/12/artic ... hong-kong/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:53 am trouble still going on ....When ( will?) China put their foot down?
Business are losing millions of $$$
Third day of Christmas clashes in Hong Kong

Police and pro-democracy protesters clash inside shopping malls as chief executive said Christmas had been ‘ruined’

Hong Kong endured a third straight day of political unrest over the Christmas period Thursday as police and pro-democracy protesters clashed inside shopping malls.

Protesters spent the afternoon on Thursday marching through multiple malls chanting anti-government and anti-police slogans.

Riot police swooped on dozens of black-clad protesters in one mall in Tai Po district, using pepper spray as well as blue dye to mark suspects, said a reporter on the scene.

....Christmas Eve saw some of the worst violence in weeks as protesters and police fought running battles for hours in a busy shopping district.
https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/12/artic ... hong-kong/
I was talking to someone the other day, he knows a thing or two, and he said all these young protesters might as well leave Hong Kong. The authorities have got all their faces on video somewhere, they will identify them all, and they are never going to get jobs with any government employer or any large company that values it relationship with the government, which is all of them.

He thinks they will be blacklisted forever and might as well start looking for a new place to live as their career and security prospects for a life in Hong Kong as dismal.

I don't know how much truth there is in those remarks but given China's Social Credit system it seems to make sense.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

^^ I think your friend might be right, Doc.
I can't see China allowing Lam to give any kind of amnesty to these people.
The CPC is very vindictive.

This may be a problem for countries who will be asked to give them political refugee status.
I am a big supporter of political asylum - personally, i reckon they should be right at the top of the queue,
but there will be so many of these, and many countries are already thinking that too many chinese is too many chinese.

China is likely to put the screws on big time - to stop countries offering this asylum. I wonder how eg Australia will
react to that.
They are super scared of offending their "biggest trading partner".

On the other hand they would welcome half a million tech-savvy young desperate refugees who will work for BigCorp @ $15/hr.
Saves the expense and bother of educating and training their own youth too. But Australia gave up on that a long time ago.

"Don't educate our own kids, just import cheap skilled workers - we must, because we have a skills shortage"

blah blah, maybe i am thinking too far ahead - but there will be all kinds of spill-over effects all around the region if these protesters leave in big numbers.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:01 pm ^^ I think your friend might be right, Doc.
I can't see China allowing Lam to give any kind of amnesty to these people.
The CPC is very vindictive.

This may be a problem for countries who will be asked to give them political refugee status.
I am a big supporter of political asylum - personally, i reckon they should be right at the top of the queue,
but there will be so many of these, and many countries are already thinking that too many chinese is too many chinese.

China is likely to put the screws on big time - to stop countries offering this asylum. I wonder how eg Australia will
react to that.
They are super scared of offending their "biggest trading partner".

On the other hand they would welcome half a million tech-savvy young desperate refugees who will work for BigCorp @ $15/hr.
Saves the expense and bother of educating and training their own youth too. But Australia gave up on that a long time ago.

"Don't educate our own kids, just import cheap skilled workers - we must, because we have a skills shortage"

blah blah, maybe i am thinking too far ahead - but there will be all kinds of spill-over effects all around the region if these protesters leave in big numbers.
The UK ought to be at the top of that list given that China has effectively said that all guarantees under the handover agreement are effectively at an end.

After Brexit the UK will be faced with a stark reality; no hiding behind the EU. If the UK does a limited deal with the EU and a comprehensive one with the U.S. then any cosy relationship with China is for the birds.

Therefore the UK might as well sweep up a few hundred thousand top notch immigrants. It will be an improvement on the criminal and economic dross that has been pouring in from Romania and Bulgaria.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

As the US house of reps (10-16) & the senate (11-19) have passed a bill defending the protestors, ( and really pissing off China) they will all go to the land of the free, home of the brave.

So what other countries have stepped up in support of the hk protestors?
The US House of Representatives has passed the bill that pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong believe would defend their freedom and basic human rights. Although it still has to gain approval from the Senate before becoming law, protesters consider this a big step forward in their fight for democracy.

It's brutal police tactics that have led to demands that urgent action is taken by the US Congress to pass the Hong Kong Human Rights Act.
https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2019 ... cracy-bill
The Senate easily passed legislation on Tuesday throwing support behind protesters in Hong Kong.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/471 ... protesters
A new survey shows that a majority of Americans believe the United States should support pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong, despite President Donald Trump's suggestion last Friday that he may veto legislation to placate China and secure a trade deal.
According to the survey, 68% of Americans said they would be in favor of the U.S. showing support for the pro-democracy movement in Hong Kong, even it angers China, while only 14% of Americans supported the Chinese government.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/majorit ... d=67142758

Trump supports the bill (11-28)
Hong Kong: US President Donald Trump has signed two bills that support human rights and pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong, drawing angry objections from Beijing’s Foreign Ministry.
https://www.siasat.com/trump-approves-b ... s-1742966/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

One of my oldest friends Sammy Chang and his family left Hong Kong in 1974 and settled in Kansas. City, Missouri where they opened PRINCESS GARDEN restaurant. We met when we were teenagers.
I was a customer. He was the host at the front door
My parents ate there for 30 years 2-3 times a week.
I became family. Everyone just called it Sammy's even though his father was the Chef, sisters, brothers all worked there. A typical American success story.
His Uncle had a big restaurant in Hong Kong.
They sponsored Hong Kong men and women for decades to staff the restaurant in KC.
My brother.. My friend Sammy Chang.
The People of The USA are with the protesters.
The USA is not afraid of china.
I hope any Hong Kong people who need to seek refuge can find it in the USA.
But, I cannot see how they will be allowed to leave.
A perfect example of how you can never make a deal with the chinese and expect them to keep it.
The Brits have found that out.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

A very well researched, written piece by the BBC

Hong Kong's year in seven intense emotions
www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-50832918
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Saw a very interesting news piece here in the UK on Channel 4 a couple of weeks ago regarding the Chinese state sponsoring a pro regime University student organisation operating on UK campuses. Pictures of demonstrators supporting the Hong Kong movement were being fed back to headquarters and posted on social media for the intimidation to start. Those interviewed were seriously worried about the prospect of returning home and also the potential consequences for their families.

The tentacles reach far and wide. Pretty shocked when I watched it.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic