Western Worker Injured in Moto Accident with Range Rover

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Western Worker Injured in Moto Accident with Range Rover

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Jerry Atrick wrote:I'm a little surprised that the man lost his leg.

To me, it spells no Insurance or savings and taking it off was only option.

I saw the pics, and while it was a nasty compound fracture, was totally repairable by pin and plate.

Car was going too fast, but had right of way and he didn't even look...

Too bad.
Shitty doctors, infection etc. They often seem to go for amputations rather quickly here. I agree that it's unlikely he went to RPP and got the best Thai doctor they had, but let's not forget that you're not exactly getting the top trauma surgeons here. It's not like he was medivaced to Ramstein or something, and infections seem to take hold really quickly.

Either way, the guy is lived through anyone's nightmare, so I do feel for him, and hope he gets at least a little something. I don't want to watch the video, but the consensus seems to be that the RR wasn't excessively speeding, so he shouldn't be milked dry either.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

To be honest I am pretty happy with most of the drivers here in town but like somebody said it's important to not ge lulled into thinking it is save to cross in front of somebody.
Outside of town it's much worse, some drive like animals out there.
Hope the guy can get a positive attitude towards his situation and get over it. It will be a challenge.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:25 am This Range Rover was just going a normal speed for a fairly wide road, maybe 30-35mph. At that speed all the Laissez-faire driving principle of leaving it to someone else to move over and/or brake slightly to let you in simply stops working. There is not enough time at 30mph from 30 feet away to make effective adjustments, that is just the thinking time.

The speed limit in Cambodia is I think 40kmh in built up areas, which is 18 mph roughly. if he was traveling at 35mph then he was double the speed limit
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

pczz wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:24 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:25 am This Range Rover was just going a normal speed for a fairly wide road, maybe 30-35mph. At that speed all the Laissez-faire driving principle of leaving it to someone else to move over and/or brake slightly to let you in simply stops working. There is not enough time at 30mph from 30 feet away to make effective adjustments, that is just the thinking time.

The speed limit in Cambodia is I think 40kmh in built up areas, which is 18 mph roughly. if he was traveling at 35mph then he was double the speed limit

Your really sure 18mph is 40kmh?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Yes, pczz you are correct, sorry I missed this one in my post.

ARTICLE 17:
The driving speeds of vehicles are defined in accordance with the conditions as follows:
1. The driving speeds for vehicles in general:
A. In towns: - The drivers of all motorcycles and tricycles must drive in the maximum speed of 30 km per hour - The drivers of all kinds of cars must drive in the maximum speed of 40 km per hour
B. Outside towns: - The drivers of all kinds of vehicles must drive in the maximum speed of 90 km per hour, except for the trucks with the net weight of over 3.5 tons is limited with 70 km per hour and the maximum speed of the vehicles with trailers is limited with 60 km per hour
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:33 pm

ARTICLE 17:
The driving speeds of vehicles are defined in accordance with the conditions as follows:
A. In towns: - The drivers of all motorcycles and tricycles must drive in the maximum speed of 30 km per hour - The drivers of all kinds of cars must drive in the maximum speed of 40 km per hour
B. Outside towns: - The drivers of all kinds of vehicles must drive in the maximum speed of 90 km per hour, except for the trucks with the net weight of over 3.5 tons is limited with 70 km per hour and the maximum speed of the vehicles with trailers is limited with 60 km per hour

Are we really talking about speed limits in this country where people routinely go through red lights, are blind drunk and crash into buildings and shoot people in the head because their noodles haven't been served? (Allegedly)
And here I am talking about THE POLICE!

Speed limits are a farce and if you think they are in any way relevant to your safety you are wrong.

It's your life. Ride your bike through a junction without looking and being unable to stop within the distance seen to be clear and safe, then Lady Luck will abandon you one day...
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:33 pm

ARTICLE 17:

Interesting the law specifies towns. I drive with a Cambodian Government worker frequesntly and he says that the lower limit applies wherever there are houses along the road, not just inside city boundaries. I didn't know mortorcyles had to stick to 30 though, oops
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

ARTICLE 17:

crazy if that is indeed the actual legal terminology. every type of vehicle must drive the 'maximum' limit.
Still here, in country...
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

King Keil wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:31 pm

Your really sure 18mph is 40kmh?

Thanks for that. Just checked it again, it's 24 miles per hour according to length converter on my phone. I must have pressed the wrong button somewhere when i did it first time. Nonetheless 35 miles an hour is way above the speed limit by about 50%
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:48 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote:I'm a little surprised that the man lost his leg.

To me, it spells no Insurance or savings and taking it off was only option.

I saw the pics, and while it was a nasty compound fracture, was totally repairable by pin and plate.

Car was going too fast, but had right of way and he didn't even look...

Too bad.
Shitty doctors, infection etc. They often seem to go for amputations rather quickly here. I agree that it's unlikely he went to RPP and got the best Thai doctor they had, but let's not forget that you're not exactly getting the top trauma surgeons here. It's not like he was medivaced to Ramstein or something, and infections seem to take hold really quickly.

Either way, the guy is lived through anyone's nightmare, so I do feel for him, and hope he gets at least a little something. I don't want to watch the video, but the consensus seems to be that the RR wasn't excessively speeding, so he shouldn't be milked dry either.
In the video it looked like he was hit so hard I'm amazed he lived.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic