Western Worker Injured in Moto Accident with Range Rover

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Western Worker Injured in Moto Accident with Range Rover

Post by Phnom Poon »

9666 doesn't look like a random license plate to me
and anyone choosing such a number is probably a cunt

monstra mihi bona!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:52 pm I couldn't see any video, just a still.
Ive tried to post the video again, but if it doesn't work, here are the screenshots showing where the Frenchman pulls out on to the main road from the side street on his motorbike(1), and then (2), gets hit(arrow) by a car that has priority and seems to be traveling fast, but not ridiculously so.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

The video worked fine for me.
Similar to that Khmer girl who was killed by a Khmer girl who gad borrowed her dad's car.
What do you get for losing a leg?
Medical bills and a peg leg?
Poor guy.
The high speed luxury car reality video game is so bizarre on these roads.
You would think they would drive more careful.
But, it seems they all have this mindset they are allowed to floor it at all times.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Brand spanking new huge chinese SUV.
A brilliant white that i have never seen before. whiter that white, whiter than Persil.
Sitting so high, wafer thin, and steely hard cold she was,
the trophy wife

South side of Psar Kandal, i was jammed in traffic jutting out beyond my lane. gridlocked.
she swept around the corner. i see her look straight at me ,
in an instant assessing me, my situation, her situation and her phone
an instant to make her decision

It was not that she she hated me and tried to kill me. I would have understood that.
It was that she just didn't give one single flying flock if i lived or if i died, as she swept me out of her way.
After looking me in the eye.
That is what pissed me off.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:02 am Brand spanking new huge chinese SUV.
A brilliant white that i have never seen before. whiter that white, whiter than Persil.
Sitting so high, wafer thin, and steely hard cold she was,
the trophy wife

South side of Psar Kandal, i was jammed in traffic jutting out beyond my lane. gridlocked.
she swept around the corner. i see her look straight at me ,
in an instant assessing me, my situation, her situation and her phone
an instant to make her decision

It was not that she she hated me and tried to kill me. I would have understood that.
It was that she just didn't give one single flying flock if i lived or if i died, as she swept me out of her way.
After looking me in the eye.
That is what pissed me off.
That is one of the main problems, they really don't care about you. If you would be involved you would more likely pay for the privilege, that makes one think it a gamble, and a lottery if anyone would like to increase their living expenses.

Western Worker Injured in Moto Accident with Range Rover

It never seems a good result for the motorcyclists in a traffic accident. This one from the video footage is horrendous, there seems to be two factors to look at regarding contact and why the accident happened.
One - The motorcyclist pulls out onto the main carriageway from a sideroad into the path of an oncoming vehicle that would have the right of way.
Two – The car had the right of way being on the main carriageway, but was he going too fast, reflecting of article 18.

ARTICLE 18:
In all cases, the drivers must be always in control of their own speeds and drive in an appropriate speed in accordance with the geographical condition of roads and the conditions of weather, traffic, their vehicles, and loading so that they are able to stop their vehicles on time without dangers.

ARTICLE 22:
The priorities for the junction road are notified as following:

1. When reaching the junction road, all drivers must slow down vehicles and see the traffic movement on the central lane, which they are about to pass through, and drive carefully if the traffic on the road in front is heavy. In the necessary case, the divers have to make a signal to the other drivers who come from other roads by using horn at daytime using high and low beams alternatively at night-time. On the roads with no priority, the drivers must drive the vehicles in the appropriate speed that can be stopped in order to give priorities to other vehicles with priorities.
3. At the junction road where there are no priority signs, the drivers have to give the right to other drivers who are from the right-hand side to go first. But in case it is the T-junctions where there are no priority signs, the drivers who are at the end of the road must give priority to the drivers who are on the continual road to go first.
6. When reaching the junction road where there are the “Stop” sign, the drivers have to stop in front of the cross-road sign to give way to the vehicles and pedestrians to go first, and can only cross this road when making sure that it will not cause any accident.

Summary of a personal day to day example – Whom was at fault? The motorcyclist for pulling on the main carriageway, where here the traffic law states the vehicles have the right of way on the main road, I ask this question because that is one of my pet hates here, without them even looking in most cases a driver/rider will pull out from a righthand junction straight onto the main carriageway regardless of what is approaching from their left. When I slowly approach that type of junction I want to see what is coming in the path of the main road I wish to join, I tend to move over too the left a little looking also in my mirrors observing nothing is coming quickly from behind, that is the reason to move a little over to the left, to let the speeding impatient moto behind have a clear path of riding straight out onto the main road, but giving me chance to look, without anyone hitting me from behind if I must stop for that big articulated truck on the main road, also looking to the righthand side where the other moto is coming up the wrong side of the road in the position I wish to be in when joining the main road.
Its possible the moto coming from behind me is a young kid who can’t put his feet on the floor and likes to ride fast, whereas the moto approaching to my right coming in the wrong direction, that is against the flow of traffic is that of a young school girl who doesn’t give a flying f@ck regardless. In the evening time the same T-Junction if I was on , now the main carriageway it would more likely be a guy on his moto pulling out in front of me, no lights, texting on his mobile after leaving the local KTV with a gut full of 10 finest country beers, and a handful of winning ring pulls. If I had to have a collision with any of those 3 and the police arrived, what would be the outcome?
I will answer how I would see the scenario, regardless who was in the wrong would be of no matter, but only myself, because they look at it like you should not have been there, so, I and you are at fault.
This became nearly reality the other evening. I was riding on the main carriageway another bike was coming along side me on my left, he was overtaking me, then from the traffic lights a moto with two guys was creeping into the main road, all of a sudden he launched forward into our path, the bike on my left swerved around the front of him, not really the manoeuvre to take (That is another thing, most Khmers have no anticipation, or give room to others) I hit the brakes, no where to go, I stopped. "He" then actually rode into my front wheel claiming I hit him when the light was red, him now wanting the police, I looked up the light now was red, but not before. I replied nice try and rode away, not wanting complications.

Conclusion – We are not judging and have no right to point blame at any in a country we have no say or have very few legalities, if any at all. I am glad to see the foreign man, a worker at the Buddhism for Health organization is actually still alive after that impact, I hope like most of you he makes better recovery too, also it would be fitting for him to get some monies due to injuries suffered, when people have wrote about “Go Fund Me” he deserves, or would not be doing it unjust.
Borey Peng Huoth has approximately 5000 families living there, and growing in numbers of many in safe gated areas away from harm. I think the developers have done well in their part, to provided safety of its residents, drivers and pedestrians, also, making awareness to all its road users, safety items such as cameras and many speed bumps that try to slow the traffic, or at least make road users know of dangers. (like you can see in the video).
I visit the Borey Peng Huoth from time to time, and always say people drive too fast, regarding the restaurant areas, being that it’s just another series of roads to any user in the city or country, but new smooth surfaced roads.
Overall the area is modern built for residential living, with schools and sportsground. Also, the Borey receives many visitors going to enjoy its restaurants shops and supermarkets, also the attraction of the Euro Park. The return would be good for the visitor and the businesses, but overall this can’t look good for the developers who have possibly done all they thought possible to prevent incidents of this nature.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I could see the video, and the Landrover hit him so hard even an elephant would have suffered serious injury. The guy was driving slowly, but apparently didn't see the speeding monster coming.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

He is lucky to survive that impact, getting a Range Rover in the ribs at 30mph can easily kill you.

People ride bikes around this city and just pull out, because everyone alse does that and most of the time nobody is going much faster than 10 - 15 mph at small junctions and can swerve or stop.

This Range Rover was just going a normal speed for a fairly wide road, maybe 30-35mph. At that speed all the Laissez-faire driving principle of leaving it to someone else to move over and/or brake slightly to let you in simply stops working. There is not enough time at 30mph from 30 feet away to make effective adjustments, that is just the thinking time.

You can tell by the overall stopping distance of when the RR enters the junction and sees the bike and where it stopped - just passed the junction - that the overall distance is about 80 which is correct for the thinking and stopping distance of 30-35 mph. (The Range Rover is 16f long, for scale)

If you rode a bike through junctions like that on the streets of Paris or London you would not last a day.

Entry point and sighting of bike.

Impact, about 35 feet later

Stop point, about 80 first the far side of the junction.
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AzalKH »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:25 am He is lucky to survive that impact, getting a Range Rover in the ribs at 30mph can easily kill you.

People ride bikes around this city and just pull out, because everyone alse does that and most of the time nobody is going much faster than 10 - 15 mph at small junctions and can swerve or stop.

This Range Rover was just going a normal speed for a fairly wide road, maybe 30-35mph. At that speed all the Laissez-faire driving principle of leaving it to someone else to move over and/or brake slightly to let you in simply stops working. There is not enough time at 30mph from 30 feet away to make effective adjustments, that is just the thinking time.

You can tell by the overall stopping distance of when the RR enters the junction and sees the bike and where it stopped - just passed the junction - that the overall distance is about 80 which is correct for the thinking and stopping distance of 30-35 mph. (The Range Rover is 16f long, for scale)

If you rode a bike through junctions like that on the streets of Paris or London you would not last a day.

Entry point and sighting of bike.

Impact, about 35 feet later

Stop point, about 80 first the far side of the junction.
Yeah, I got to agree with this. I feel sorry for the foreigner, but in this case I feel it was mostly his fault. I'm sure that if it was a local hit by a western driven car in this exact same situation, some of you blaming the car driver would be saying it was 100% the bike's fault... As Doc mentions, if you pulled across a road like this in the west you'd get wiped out on the first busy intersection you crossed.

The attitude and ridiculous ignorance that many Khmer have towards road safety infuriates me daily, and it's sad to see westerners falling into those same bad habits. It's prudent to slow down a bit before each intersection here and it's what I do whether I have right of way or not since I don't trust other drivers in general, much less here. But that's something most people don't do.

That road we are looking down is probably around 10m across, being generous it might be 15m, the car stops maybe 5-10m after the crossing. He goes across it in 1.5-2.5 seconds. He really can't have been doing more than 50km an hour entering that intersection.

From the bike coming onto the road, into the car drivers vision, to him being hit about 2 seconds pass. The car did break, but physics says he was never going to stop in time. I'm not sure how much more he could have done to slow down in this situation, he could have veered right, but would have probably still hit the bike given how slow it was going.

This is nothing like the range rover girl earlier this year who was doing over 100kmph when she went through a small intersection and the uni student.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I'm a little surprised that the man lost his leg.

To me, it spells no Insurance or savings and taking it off was only option.

I saw the pics, and while it was a nasty compound fracture, was totally repairable by pin and plate.

Car was going too fast, but had right of way and he didn't even look...

Too bad.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:25 am This Range Rover was just going a normal speed for a fairly wide road
I'll add some context to this accident, as I am very familiar with the neighborhood in which it happened.

This happened inside a Borey Peng Huot........it's a residential neighborhood with speed bumps aaaaallllll along the length of that street and including the side streets.

Kids are playing...people washing their cars, etc.

The victim may have just been lulled into a false sense of security due to the usual slow speed that cars drive in that neighborhood. He may have been surprised at the unusually fast speed of the car and didn't judge the closing distance correctly.

Last year there was a Khmer bloke on a moto killed by a speeding car in this same neighborhood.

There is a certain sect of drivers in that neighborhood that operate their 6 figure luxury vehicles like unhinged monkeys. Speeding over speed-bumbs, crossing double-yellow, behaving without regard to the safety of the other residents.

It used to piss me off......but that would be like getting angry at the Sun for being hot. Abysmal driving is ubiquitous here and our indignation of it will not change a thing.

There will just have to be enough blood spilt, that the paradigm will change.....possibly by the next generation.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic