On Boxing Day the skies will go dark across Thailand – solar eclipse

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

On Boxing Day the skies will go dark across Thailand – solar eclipse

Post by phuketrichard »

cool;
The skies will go dark in Thailand around midday on Boxing Day. The sun will partly vanish and a ghostly pall will shadow the Kingdom. But it’s all good. It’s a solar eclipse, a completely natural phenomenon.
While Singapore, Sri Lanka, India and Indonesia will all enjoy a full solar eclipse, Thailand will experience a partial one, whereby the moon only partly obscures the sun. In Bangkok, the sun will be obscured by 56%, and by 40% in the Mae Sai district of Chiang Mai. However, Yala will witness the most impressive spectacle, with the moon set to eclipse 81% of the sun in the southern city.
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/environ ... ar-eclipse

since Yalla is expecting 81%, Phuket should be around 70%
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: On Boxing Day the skies will go dark across Thailand – solar eclipse

Post by sigmoid »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:43 pm cool;
The skies will go dark in Thailand around midday on Boxing Day. The sun will partly vanish and a ghostly pall will shadow the Kingdom. But it’s all good. It’s a solar eclipse, a completely natural phenomenon.
While Singapore, Sri Lanka, India and Indonesia will all enjoy a full solar eclipse, Thailand will experience a partial one, whereby the moon only partly obscures the sun. In Bangkok, the sun will be obscured by 56%, and by 40% in the Mae Sai district of Chiang Mai. However, Yala will witness the most impressive spectacle, with the moon set to eclipse 81% of the sun in the southern city.
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/environ ... ar-eclipse

since Yalla is expecting 81%, Phuket should be around 70%
Thanks for mentioning this. Hadn't heard anything about it. Actually it will be visible throughout most of the region.

Here's the global path:

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/glo ... ecember-26

You can zoom in or change to the 2D map.
Last edited by sigmoid on Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

i hope someone had the wits to warn the thais not to look at it with the naked eye!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

countdown; :beer3:

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Good luck Solar fans.
I have been thru a few fairly complete solar eclipses, One "total".

Quite dramatic, in a spooky kind of way.
Definitely worth catching, better than drugs - you get a kind of strange sense of dis-location on a really deep level.
All your inbuilt unconscious senses are screaming - Hang on, something is just not right here!

'Hope you get a good one!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

It lasts for nearly four hours which seems odd, I saw a total eclipse in 1999 in the UK and it was all over and done with in less than 30 mins if my memory serves me. Anyway, here's the map...

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

8/21/2017 in the states
rally cool at 1:26
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

pczz wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:28 pm i hope someone had the wits to warn the thais not to look at it with the naked eye!
A person would have to be really stupid or maybe just uneducated to look at an eclipse with the naked eye

Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

You can use an xray to see it. I just took the best photo you're going to see of this thing today.

If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Captain Bonez wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:44 am You can use an xray to see it. I just took the best photo you're going to see of this thing today.

OMG, I never realised the sun was so small
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic