Was I ripped?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Was I ripped?

Post by hanno »

jovial fucher wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:42 amIf you're paying 50 for a 20 dollar bottle of wine you are getting ripped. Restaurants usually make 1 glass of profit from a bottle. A 15 dollar bottle nets them 5 dollars at 5 per glass. Expensive wine wines are priced the same way, just not sold by the glass.
If my F&B managers worked with those margins; they'd be looking for new jobs.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

OldOldGuy wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:59 pm I went to the well known wine store on St 240 and got a Bouchard Pere et Fils Bourgogne Pinot Noir, thought it was expensive at $23. Looking at the Ontario government LCBO store on line, their regular price equates to just under $17 USD.
Hmmm. What place in Phnom Penh has better prices?
Hey OP, when I first came to PP several years ago, I though the wine was good value for the price compared to Australia...especially some of the french wines for some reason which seem to be more plentiful here. A friend once mentioned this was due to higher tax in OZ.

Since then however the $A has gone down 30% vis a vie $US and so the value equation has now largely disappeared imo. I mention this coz I understand the $C has similarly gone down?
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

You are talking about bullshit aussie swill in bullshit restaurants.
I was talking about fine dining places where a $20 bottle is marked up to $60. A common formula for upper echelon establishments.
I worked in such places for 20 years.
You are talking about a common house wine.
Then, you also have to consider wines like I own that cannot be found in cheap shit joints or even in wine stores. They are bought up by the best restaurants and brokers and the public can only purchase them in a fine dining establishment..The mark up there is whatever they want because nobody else has it.
I have such bottles purchased years ago by the case and the value has risen. But, You can't buy them.
They are all gone to collectors and wine cellars.
It goes back to perceived value.
You are in a great restaurant having an incredible meal and you are celebrating or wooing clients and you opt for something rare.
There is no crap shoot in buying Cuban rum in Cambodia.
You cannot use some formula that a bar uses compared to an elite restaurant.
It is like going to an all you can eat sushi place or some sushi place in Koh Samui and expecting their Maguro to be the quality of a great Sushi restaurant.
You can apply your all you can eat formula to meet your profit line...But, you are not using the high grade tuna a fucking place like my buddy owned for 30 years.
I was just curious as to if the poster enjoyed his wine and the extra bucks was worth it.
I don't need a lesson in piss by the glass to get a free glass of piss.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

BR549 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:09 am You are talking about bullshit aussie swill in bullshit restaurants.
I was talking about fine dining places where a $20 bottle is marked up to $60. A common formula for upper echelon establishments.
Then, you also have to consider wines like I own that cannot be found in cheap shit joints or even in wine stores. They are bought up by the best restaurants and brokers and the public can only purchase them in a fine dining establishment..The mark up there is whatever they want because nobody else has it.
I have such bottles purchased years ago by the case and the value has risen. But, You can't buy them.
You are in a great restaurant having an incredible meal and you are celebrating or wooing clients and you opt for something rare.
It is like going to an all you can eat sushi place or some sushi place in Koh Samui and expecting their Maguro to be the quality of a great Sushi restaurant.
You can apply your all you can eat formula to meet your profit line...But, you are not using the high grade tuna a fucking place like my buddy owned for 30 years.
I was just curious as to if the poster enjoyed his wine and the extra bucks was worth it.
What are you on about with restaurant wine and why the agro?

Go back and read the OP's post...they are asking about the price of wine at a wine store only...stay on topic and chill.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

When I first got here 2 years ago I was surprised how cheap booze was.

A bottle of decent Gin for $10, beer at £1 a pint roughly. Wine seemed cheap too, I remember seeing a New Zealand Sav Blanc for $6, the same bottle in the UK was well over $14. But ever since then I have seen wine become ever increasingly expensive, especially when compared to beer and spirits which have remained roughly the same.

Apparently, (and I'm happy to be corrected here) there is no duty on alcohol. However, as we all know from the airport scams, 'Duty Free' is by no means 'Profit Free'. You can see wildly differing prices of everyday items here. Caveat Emptor!

If you are into your wine, then start a thread about best value wines in PP and tell us all about it. Others will contribute and it would be a useful resource for all of us.

They musings of Hanno and Nicolas will be highly valued....
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

OldOldGuy wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:59 pm I went to the well known wine store on St 240 and got a Bouchard Pere et Fils Bourgogne Pinot Noir, thought it was expensive at $23. Looking at the Ontario government LCBO store on line, their regular price equates to just under $17 USD.
The price varies quite a bit depending on vintage and I assume in your comment above you are comparing similar years. However prices do vary considerably from outlet to outlet, and so I don't think that was particularly a rip off. A Bordeaux I generally buy for dinner varies from around $9 to $13 depending on where I buy.

Of course it depends on if you require an extensive range in which case The Chateau Wine Shop may be a good start or if you require a more limited range, Thai Huat. I use Thai Huat and buy mainly Haute Medoc, St Emilion and an assortment of Bordeaux's. Thai Huat is a good deli and you can get good a good assortment of pâté, foie gras, French cheeses etc. at reasonable prices.

Here's a couple of my earlier posts on the subject:
Kuroneko wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:50 pm
rogue19 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:25 pm I would love to start a topic on Red Wine.
Its seems to be everywhere these days, but the quality is less than ideal here in Cambodia.
Looking for direction.
There are plenty of top quality wines for sale here in Cambodia, there are a lot of excellent Bordeaux's at very good prices here in Phnom Penh. Bouchon has arguably the best range for good French wines. There are also many wine shops here, but The Warehouse, Red Apron, Thai Huat and Bayon Market are good places to start. With the increasing popularity of wine, there are of course a lot of cheap bars peddling Maipo which is cheap, sub optimal and best avoided.

Kuroneko wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 5:51 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:40 pm The problem with red wine in Cambodia is the temperature. "Room temperature" is far too hot, so you have to refrigerate it.
Putting red wine, especially good wine, in the fridge always seems like blasphemy. :whip: But what can you do ?
The decent bars in Phnom Penh have wine fridges and keep the wines at the correct temperature, which for reds should be 13-18c. Bouchon have a number of wine fridges and keep the reds around 16c, once opened and left for a while is ok. The good wine shops also have cool rooms for there stock. All my wines at home are refrigerated, probably to around 12-13c, once I open and leave them out for about an hour they come up to the right temp of around 18c. Don't think cooling wine is blasphemy as the room temperature referred to is that of Northern France, not the tropics.If you buy a good bottle it is better to keep it cool than let it hang around at 35c or so.
If you are going out to eat you can check Bouchon's wine list at the bottom of the menu here: https://www.facebook.com/bouchonwinebar/menu/ They have the best, most comprehensive and best price French wine in Phnom Penh.
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

BR549 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:09 am You are talking about bullshit aussie swill in bullshit restaurants.
Seawolf?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Hey Bro-5, you might like Pursat Wild Grape Wine
i reckon it might just suit your style
only 5 bucks a pop and keeps you on edge all night.

who gives a fuck what it tastes like
we can be the only two Men in cambodia that can handle that very "refined" palette.
I learned it out on the lake, one lonely rainy season month.

(a little bit like metho with cranberry juice, but aimed at the more sophisticated end of that market).
OldOldGuy
Tourist
Canada

Post by OldOldGuy »

About 4 years ago I got a terrific south-west French wine (forget the name, region) for $22 at Thai Huat. In Ontario it was priced the same converted to US currency. The LCBO has an excellent inventory system; the province only had 5 bottles and Toronto 1. And I got it!

Where is the Chateau place and 1 & 1?

Another bitch is that wine importers bring in excellent stuff but only sell to the F & B clients, no retail. Poor me.

Of course, since I live in Thailand, anything I get here is at a fine discount!
Kratom123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kratom123 »

Try the moonshine , wood bark flavour
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic