Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Phnom Penh to Host Digital Cambodia 2020 in March

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh to Host Digital Cambodia 2020 in March
AKP Phnom Penh, December 21, 2019​ --

Phnom Penh will host a huge digital forum to boost digital technology in March next year at Koh Pich Convention and Exhibition Centre – the heart of the capital.

The update was shared recently through a press conference organised by the National Institute of Posts, Telecoms and ICT (NIPTICT), highlighting that the event called “Digital Cambodia 2020” will take place from Mar. 20 to 22.

H.E. Dr. Kan Channmeta, Secretary of State at Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications along with Dr. Seng Sopheap, President of NIPTICT and Mr. Chy Sila, CEO of Sabay Digital Media spoke at the press event.

According to the speakers, the digital forum will be made happen through collaboration among six ministries in association with the private sector.

Dr. Seng Sopheap expressed his optimism that the event will bring together Cambodian youth with digital talent to digest the latest update of the industry to enrich their knowledge, skill and networks contributing indispensably to advancing it in Cambodia.
https://www.akp.gov.kh/post/detail/22844
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Phnom Penh to Host Digital Cambodia 2020 in March

Post by pczz »

Digital technology in Cambodia is a disaster waiting to happen. With 90% of Cambodians still using pirate operating systems and software its amazing that there has no been a major security breach on internet banking by now. The number of viruses I have fixed that have come from usb sticks being shared, especially in print shops, is phenomenal.
Not sure that phone sare much better. Many cambodians let the phone shop set them up and install software. Quite often with second hand phones the shop has the login details so they have to go back there if anything happens.
Cambodia needs to concentrate on Cyber security. i am at a loss to explain why computer a can be bought in the us for $500 with windows installled and the same thing in cambodia costs $600 with no operating system :-(
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

I agree with @pczz , but partially only.

The security awareness of Cambodians in general is next to nothing, and indeed a real concern. (But, how much better is it in the West? Only a fraction, IMHO.)

However, I find the tech-savvy youth (and I don't mean youth that can handle a smartphone, I mean youth collaborating in technology work hubs, or working in tech start-ups and the like) are a very different breed. They are aware of the risks and among them you won't find any infected USB-stick. Instead, you'll find youths fascinated by the possibilities of new technology, eager to learn, and willing to take dips into unknown territory. I think that's what this forum is aimed at. And rightfully so.

There are not (yet) huge crowds of them, but without a doubt there's a growing tech-savvy, interested, outward-looking generation of Cambodians that will embrace a forum like this.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

This maybe a foolish question for the tech masters of Cambodia.

But ...

With the rotating power cuts, unstable line power voltages, spikes to brownouts, how does this affect the tech products in the KOW?

I’ve had to replace modems and routers after lighting strikes burned them out and forced to buy UPS systems after power cuts from hurricanes and exploding transformer stations and they only provide a max of 2.5 hrs of power just powering the modem and router for the internet. And this in the West.

No way could the system take a 10-18 hr power cut that Phnom Penh often has.

And without a stable, reliable power grid, how can tech continue to grow and thrive to meet the growing needs of the Khmer?
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Another big problem is internet reliability. Most of the time my 4g is more reliable and faster than the cable which is from the same supplier. Its not a total disaster, in fact its better than some places i have stayed in Europe, but its not good enough for the country to turn into a tech hub. Depending on the time of day I may be connected through Thailand or Vietnam or singapore. Whenever i am shown as Vietnam the service sux. In particular DNS lookups can take forever and i oftn have to reset my network card to give it a kick. It doesnt matter how brilliant the software idea and execution is, it will not work without the internet, and the internet needs power and capacity as well as cleaver entrepreneurs. If I want to develop and app these days chances are the programming will be done in india or azbekhistan so ideas are probably more important than programming. You also need a lot of finance to get through the marketing hurdles and certification by Appple and Google. Hopefully the forum will,identify the things holding Cambodia back and come up with solutions
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

None of the above things really are obstacles. Power outs? Websites and apps are now days hosted all over world, so even if Cambodia has power cut it doesn't effect on the business. And since most locals use phone to access online services, the power outs don't really effect users either as 4/5G most of the time is still working. And 4G is pretty fast in city areas and the mobile connection speeds won't be problem once transition to 5G happens. Same thing goes with internet reliability. It doesn't really matter if the internet is stable in Cambodia because the reasons above. And anyways you can get fast and stable fiber connections in Phnom Penh now days if you ready to pay (and the prices getting lower year by year).

Biggest problems is education. There is just not enough talent to do the design, coding and generally just not enough clever and most importantly creative people. And majority of the population are not still tech savvyy enough to use modern services and tech products. But all this is changing fast and Phnom Penh is not much behind Vietnam or Thailand anymore.

Bookmebus, Khmerload, Meal Temple, nham24, Camboticket all have received funding to help and grow business outside of Cambodia (and some of them already operating outside of Cambodia too). Bookmebus is probably the hottest local owned tech startup right now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic