Was I ripped?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
OldOldGuy
Tourist
Canada

Was I ripped?

Post by OldOldGuy »

I went to the well known wine store on St 240 and got a Bouchard Pere et Fils Bourgogne Pinot Noir, thought it was expensive at $23. Looking at the Ontario government LCBO store on line, their regular price equates to just under $17 USD.
Hmmm. What place in Phnom Penh has better prices?
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Was I ripped?

Post by Mishmash »

OldOldGuy wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:59 pm I went to the well known wine store on St 240 and got a Bouchard Pere et Fils Bourgogne Pinot Noir, thought it was expensive at $23. Looking at the Ontario government LCBO store on line, their regular price equates to just under $17 USD.
Hmmm. What place in Phnom Penh has better prices?
My local stores sell beer at 2000riel. My local beer gardens sell 3000 include ladies pour your beer and cheer and stroke yr .... under the table... Are you complaining who sniff yr cork?
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Wine is expensive here. Quite often is is not stored right and tastes like shite. Pretty much every wine here is 20-25% more home
Khmer_Risotto
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmer_Risotto »

I love when people complain about paying an extra $6 on a bottle of wine from half way around the world in a place where the vast majority of the locals do not drink it.

*world's smallest violin playing
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Khmer_Risotto wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:42 am I love when people complain about paying an extra $6 on a bottle of wine from half way around the world in a place where the vast majority of the locals do not drink it.
I love it when people turn a question into a complaint. :P
You could be next.
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by jovial fucher »

One and One has a decent cab for 5/6 dollars.(by the reg) 'Bout the best I've seen, pricewise.

Where's this beer garden with 75 cent beers served by liberal ladies?
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

I think you have to ask yourself about the value of the experience drinking it. Did you pair it with something delicious and share it with someone who appreciated it?
Or, just give it as a gift? Or, was it foul?
It is like going into a fine dining establishment and spending $50+ on a bottle of wine you could get for $20 on line or at a nice store. You have to consider the value.
Perceived value is critical in the Food and Beverage industry.
I don't blame you for asking the members for a PP wine merchant.
I hope someone will give you more than just shit about it.
My experience is with California and Argentina.
I have to say that buying reds in Cambodia is a real crap shoot.
I know I can get a great Cuban rum for cheap in Cambodia. I don't have to settle for swill in my mojitos.
Bonne Chance...
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I once paid 3,000 riel for a 2,000 riel pineapple.
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by jovial fucher »

BR549 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:12 am I think you have to ask yourself about the value of the experience drinking it. Did you pair it with something delicious and share it with someone who appreciated it?
Or, just give it as a gift? Or, was it foul?
It is like going into a fine dining establishment and spending $50+ on a bottle of wine you could get for $20 on line or at a nice store. You have to consider the value.
Perceived value is critical in the Food and Beverage industry.
I don't blame you for asking the members for a PP wine merchant.
I hope someone will give you more than just shit about it.
My experience is with California and Argentina.
I have to say that buying reds in Cambodia is a real crap shoot.
I know I can get a great Cuban rum for cheap in Cambodia. I don't have to settle for swill in my mojitos.
Bonne Chance...
Buying anything in Cambodia is a crap shoot, most of the time. Trading tidbits of info helps to alleviate mistakes and find better products.

If you're paying 50 for a 20 dollar bottle of wine you are getting ripped. Restaurants usually make 1 glass of profit from a bottle. A 15 dollar bottle nets them 5 dollars at 5 per glass. Expensive wine wines are priced the same way, just not sold by the glass.

The wine at 1 & 1, IIRC, is a South-East Australian bottle, and those are typically decent. Even Cheap Charlies, sold at Trader Joe's, which is only 2 dollars, is good, and it's award winning wine. Wine doesn't have to be expensive to be good. :hattip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic