Bavet Policeman Shoots Woman in the Head

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Bavet Policeman Shoots Woman in the Head

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Personally, i found it really really hard to hear about that reporters thing - the way they interviewed the daughter of the woman who was shot.
I could see and believe it so clearly , and i suspect other readers did too, judging by some of the other responses.
It gave me a flash of absolute pessimism and despair for the country i hope to die in. Black hole black dog stuff.

But then i remembered the sins of the West (institution child abuse and cover up, massive civilian bombing deaths totally normalised, whatever..), and i realise this is all just the norm for Homo sapien

I think it was the Buddha who first said;
#101 Life is shit, get used to it - or you will go mad or go nowhere
or words to that effect
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Cleaned up several off topic posts.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Two contradictory versions of events continue to circulate after a woman was shot dead by a deputy police chief in a Bavet restaurant.One says that the suspect was drunk and killed the woman restaurant owner because of slow service, the other claims that she was killed because she was in a relationship with the suspect's father.
The Svay Rieng provincial police chief has declared that the first reason is the true motive, and since the father of the suspect is the police chief of Bavet, this will most likely be the official motive for the killing retained by the judge.
More details may come out at the trial. There has been a notable crackdown recently on officials who fire guns when they are drunk and off-duty.

Bavet town deputy police chief charged with murder of woman
24 December 2019 | 00:19 ICT

The Svay Rieng provincial court issued a temporary detention warrant for Keo Vichet, a deputy police chief in Bavet town, and charged him with murder and unauthorised possession of a weapon following the fatal shooting of a restaurant owner in the town’s Ta Pov village on Friday.

The warrant, issued on Sunday by provincial court investigating Judge Chhun Davy, said a provincial prosecutor had already questioned Vichet, who was then placed under court supervision for violating Articles 199 and 490 of the Criminal Code.

Provincial police chief Koeng Khorn identified the victim as Soeun Dane, 38, a resident of Preah Sihanouk’s Kampong Seila commune and the owner of Samang Dane Restaurant.

Dane was shot in the head by Vichet on Friday evening and rushed to a hospital in Vietnam where she eventually died. Vichet was arrested the following day.

“The suspect confessed that he shot the restaurant owner because of her slow service. There was no other issue. Our police questioned him and sent him to court,” said Khorn on Sunday.

Local human rights NGO Licadho provincial coordinator Nuth Bopinaroth said on Monday that he went to the scene to ask restaurant employees and court officials about the incident.

Allegedly, the father of the accused, who is also the town’s police chief, had had a romantic relationship with the victim, which spurred arguments between the victim and the wife, and between the parents of the accused.

“I found out that his father is the police chief in Bavet town and the accused is the deputy police chief. So, they do not fear the law anymore. He holds a high position, so does his father. He thinks he has the power and the rank so he is not afraid of the law,” Bopinaroth claimed.

The accused’s father, Keo Kong, denied allegations of a romantic relationship between him and the deceased.

“I was accused of being in a romantic relationship with the restaurant owner. I have no time to be entangled in a ‘love triangle’. I have never gone to that restaurant. They have just accused me of this,” Kong said.

He said his son was under the influence of alcohol when he went to the restaurant. After being told that his order was unavailable, he got into an argument with the owner which eventually led to the fatal shooting.

“On the day of the incident, I was not in Bavet town. I had a meeting at the provincial police station,” Kong said.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... rder-woman
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Stiliko »

Untouchable Bavet town deputy police chief Keo Vichet smiles as he is released under “court supervision.”
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodian Deputy Police Inspector Arrested for Shooting Restauranteur Dead
2019-12-23

Authorities in Cambodia have arrested on murder charges a police official accused of shooting a restauranteur in the head at point-blank range over delays in his food order.

Keo Chetra, 29, the deputy police inspector of Svay Rieng province’s Bavet city, allegedly shot Soeun Srey Ner, 38, the owner of the Daner Lucky Music restaurant on the night of Dec. 20 as he dined there.

Soeun died while she was in transit to a hospital in Vietnam. It was not immediately clear why she was being taken to Vietnam for treatment, but Bavet is close to the border with Vietnam and sources suggest that Vietnamese health facilities have a better reputation than local ones in Cambodia.

A police report filed by Police Chief Mao Phin Phirun said the reason behind the shooting was because Keo Chetra became heavily intoxicated.

Witnesses told the local newspaper that Keo pulled out his gun and shot her dead when he got angry at Soeun for making him wait for hot noodles he had ordered.

According to the police report, the suspect turned himself in and admitted to the crime.

The warrant was issued by the investigating judge of the Svay Rieng provincial court, Chhun Davy. Keo will be held in temporary detention on charges of murder and unauthorized possession of a firearm.

Keo Chetra is the son of Bavet’s police inspector Keo Kong.

LICADHO
Nuth Bopinnaroat, the coordinator for the LICADHO NGO’s activities in Svay Rieng, applauded the court’s decision to detain Keo, as possible a sign that nepotism might not prevail in the case.

“In this case, [the suspect] is a deputy inspector and his father is the inspector,” said Nuth.

“According to the law, there is a clear conflict of interest,” he said, adding that his status as a deputy inspector and as the son of the inspector emboldened him so he “dared to do anything at will.”

“He even carried a weapon and freely fired it without thinking of the danger he posed to others,” Nuth added.

“We [at LICADHO] are calling for tougher arms control and strict enforcement of the law. If those can be enforced, we’ll see fewer similar incidents,” said Nuth.
https://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambod ... 54606.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Guns and alcohol. Bad
we can probably all agree on that
Privileged kids of the powerful, carrying guns to the local diner. Not great.
we can probably agree on that too
Alcohol, rich privileged kids, jilted lovers, guns, and slow restaurant service all mixed in together - in cambodia. Explosive.
howls of agreement here

Whaddabout.. permanently removing the one item from the mix that is most likely to get innocent people killed - the gun?
howls again - but not of agreement this time around.
Fix the slow dinner issue at the diner?
yeah yeah yeah

chuckle, kick the cat
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:38 pm Guns and alcohol. Bad
we can probably all agree on that
Privileged kids of the powerful, carrying guns to the local diner. Not great.
we can probably agree on that too
Alcohol, rich privileged kids, jilted lovers, guns, and slow restaurant service all mixed in together - in cambodia. Explosive.
howls of agreement here
No, we don't agree. I don't think that there would have been a different outcome even if the noodles came super-fast. I think that the first story as told by the staff member was probably correct, and the noodles were not at fault. Even the gun was not at fault. I think he shot her on purpose and I don't blame the gun - or the noodles.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I have to agree, I've heard of some silly stories over the years where some big army/police guys have shot waitresses in the foot or just fired off and caused ricochets. I don't believe it's as simple as that here, especially when the initial reports said he just charged in looking for the manager and shot her in the head. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It will be another disgrace if he walks away. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

a DISGRACE but very likely result :stir:
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BrazilBoy »

Shit like this happens all the time in the states and fucking pigs walk. This one only got fired and it took like 3 days for even that to happen.

https://www.democracynow.org/2019/12/23 ... 4pk3DW6PVo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic