Navy Officer Kills Chinese Man During Burglary

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Navy Officer Kills Chinese Man During Burglary

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:45 pm
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:40 pm
What about the law that says you are not allowed to shoot people dead for that?
I've heard that it's legal to kill someone if they are in the process of committing an aggravated burglary here.
Good point/question JB
This is what i could find in 10 minutes browsing.

Cambodian law-
Article 33: Legitimate Defence
A person who committed an offence under a legitimate defence is not criminally
responsible.
Legitimate defence must fulfil the following conditions:
1. The offence is justified by the necessity to engage in defence against an
unjustified aggression
;
2. The offence and the aggression must happen at the same time;
3. There is no disproportion between the means of defence used and the
severity of the aggression.

Article 34: Presumption of Legitimate Defence
The legitimate defence is presumed in the following cases:
1. the offence is committed in order to repulse from a residing place an entering
at night by means of breaking-in & entering by violence or by trickery;
2. the offence is committed for self-defence against larcenies or of robberies
carried out with violence.

I am assuming the underlined factors in Article 33 are not made irrelevant by Article 34
but that may not hold here - The basic principles in #33 definitely do apply in the British-based law systems that i am familiar with. In ALL cases.
Note the law refers to self defence - not for protection of property.

Any kh lawyers tuned in?
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Duncan wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:53 pm
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:18 pm 12 am. midnight in a pitched black house and I hear 2 men inside my home while my wife is in bed beside me asleep. I suppose I could politely ask them to leave, wait to see if they are armed, ask them if they only want my valuables, confront them and shoot them in the lag or put a stop to it before I find out if their intention is to rob me, kill me, rape my wife and then kill her. I am a pretty liberal-leaning guy. Break into my house at midnight and I see nothing wrong with f#cking you up. How man stories of children raped and murdered, old people chopped up with axes etc have I read on this site? If you thieve in the daylight when no one is home you are a nasty piece of shit sneak thief if you break into occupied homes at midnight, you are gambling with your life or the life of the occupant. sorry no pity for the dead guy, not cause he is Chinese but because I don t know if he was just a thief, a rapist thief or a rapist murdering thief. I do know he won t do it again though.
That's why Santa Clause will not be coming to your house tonight.
He hasn t come for the past 62 years, I always thought it was because I am Jewish. Live and learn I guess.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

BR549 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:52 pm
I will be back in Siem Reap in a few weeks.. without firearms wishing I had at least my 1911 under my pillow.
Up to you Bro-5, but i simply do not understand feeling the need for a gun to feel safe in Cambodia - or anywhere.
(And believe me, i put myself "out there" all alone as often as i can - all my life)
Where i was bought up that was the sign of a man. Guns for protection is cowboy stuff to the hard-living edge-pushing people i respect.
But once again, imo only.
Everybody's culture, upbringing and influences is a bit different.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:56 pm In my country he would go to jail. They would expect a trained and armed navy officer to disarm to petty thieves without the need to kill them. A simple shot in the leg would have done, or even in the knee if he wanted more (revenge).
You really expect someone finding multiple, possibly armed intruders inside their home, to pull some ju-Jitsu type move and disable them? And to talk of shooting them in the leg, it would appear you have zero understanding of shooting a firearm in such a situation, the uncertainty & stress involved combined with the instinct to neutralize the threat would result in a shot to the centre of mass every time.
Shots to the leg are for the movies, they only happen in real life by accident.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

It's a bit sad - far more householders and their children are accidentally shot by their own guns, held strictly for protection, than are killed by intruders. Same for suicides and domestic violence murders.

States with more guns see more accidental deaths from firearms, and children ages 5 to 14 are 11 times more likely to be killed with a gun in the US compared to other developed countries.

”When 34 injury prevention experts were asked to prioritize home injury hazards for young children, based on frequency, severity, and preventability of the injury, the experts rated access to firearms in the home as the most significant hazard,”

Guns kept in homes are more likely to be involved in a fatal or nonfatal accidental shooting, criminal assault, or suicide attempt than to be used to injure or kill in self-defense

(nb, not a anti US rant - they just have the best documented case studies, and the most extreme situation. A stark outlier to the norm)
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Brody wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:22 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:56 pm In my country he would go to jail. They would expect a trained and armed navy officer to disarm to petty thieves without the need to kill them. A simple shot in the leg would have done, or even in the knee if he wanted more (revenge).
Oh come on. We don't know any of the circumstances surrounding the burglary.

He was outnumbered and who's to say that one or both of the burglars didn't lunge at him with some kind of weapon or blunt object like a crowbar or something?

It was 12am and 2 burglars were in his house....One was shot dead the other wounded........we don't know much more than that right now.

I come from a jurisdiction that has Castle Doctrine and don't have a problem with that......you break into another man's home.....at your peril.
Smoked the cunts.. I have kids.. not gonna wait someone turn up or should have risked my life disarming. or some other leftist shite.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:49 pm It's a bit sad - far more householders and their children are accidentally shot by their own guns, held strictly for protection, than are killed by intruders. Same for suicides and domestic violence murders.

States with more guns see more accidental deaths from firearms, and children ages 5 to 14 are 11 times more likely to be killed with a gun in the US compared to other developed countries.

”When 34 injury prevention experts were asked to prioritize home injury hazards for young children, based on frequency, severity, and preventability of the injury, the experts rated access to firearms in the home as the most significant hazard,”

Guns kept in homes are more likely to be involved in a fatal or nonfatal accidental shooting, criminal assault, or suicide attempt than to be used to injure or kill in self-defense

(nb, not a anti US rant - they just have the best documented case studies, and the most extreme situation. A stark outlier to the norm)
more likely to die from a slip in the shower too bro.. please start a gofundme to ban showers. and BTW more likely to die buying a lottery ticket than winning it so please another gofundme for lottery victims
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:49 pm It's a bit sad - far more householders and their children are accidentally shot by their own guns, held strictly for protection, than are killed by intruders. Same for suicides and domestic violence murders.

Guns in the home are harmless and do not cause accidental deaths of children or anyone else.
Loaded guns in a house are not harmless and do cause problems, so does leaving the ammunition lying around.
really you should keep weapons and ammunition in seperate places, locked.
If you live somewhere where you feel the need to keep a loaded gun under your pillow at night unload it in the morning.
Its bad gun management that causes most of the problems byt letting unqualified people get their hands on a loaded weapon
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Anyway, most of the planet has sensible gun laws.
Fully supported by the majority from across the political spectrum.

Slipping in the shower?? How is that relevant?

(ps Mish - you are never gonna get me calling your opinions rightist shit. I prefer my fierce uncompromising arguments to still be sensible, rational and based around the issues. And respectful, to the best of my ability)
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Everyone i know in Cambodia we snicker... and i dun see any tears for the fools... You see anywhere in the Chinese media?? nahhh.. Gone.. smoked.. see ya later..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic