Navy Officer Kills Chinese Man During Burglary

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Navy Officer Kills Chinese Man During Burglary

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

12 am. midnight in a pitched black house and I hear 2 men inside my home while my wife is in bed beside me asleep. I suppose I could politely ask them to leave, wait to see if they are armed, ask them if they only want my valuables, confront them and shoot them in the lag or put a stop to it before I find out if their intention is to rob me, kill me, rape my wife and then kill her. I am a pretty liberal-leaning guy. Break into my house at midnight and I see nothing wrong with f#cking you up. How man stories of children raped and murdered, old people chopped up with axes etc have I read on this site? If you thieve in the daylight when no one is home you are a nasty piece of shit sneak thief if you break into occupied homes at midnight, you are gambling with your life or the life of the occupant. sorry no pity for the dead guy, not cause he is Chinese but because I don t know if he was just a thief, a rapist thief or a rapist murdering thief. I do know he won t do it again though.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:56 pm In my country he would go to jail. They would expect a trained and armed navy officer to disarm to petty thieves without the need to kill them. A simple shot in the leg would have done, or even in the knee if he wanted more (revenge).
Oh come on. We don't know any of the circumstances surrounding the burglary.

He was outnumbered and who's to say that one or both of the burglars didn't lunge at him with some kind of weapon or blunt object like a crowbar or something?

It was 12am and 2 burglars were in his house....One was shot dead the other wounded........we don't know much more than that right now.

I come from a jurisdiction that has Castle Doctrine and don't have a problem with that......you break into another man's home.....at your peril.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:56 pm In my country he would go to jail. They would expect a trained and armed navy officer to disarm to petty thieves without the need to kill them. A simple shot in the leg would have done, or even in the knee if he wanted more (revenge).
Important detail. Have you ever watched a Cambodian military drill? It's like a pilates session with Chinese military gear.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:18 pm 12 am. midnight in a pitched black house and I hear 2 men inside my home while my wife is in bed beside me asleep. I suppose I could politely ask them to leave, wait to see if they are armed, ask them if they only want my valuables, confront them and shoot them in the lag or put a stop to it before I find out if their intention is to rob me, kill me, rape my wife and then kill her. I am a pretty liberal-leaning guy. Break into my house at midnight and I see nothing wrong with f#cking you up. How man stories of children raped and murdered, old people chopped up with axes etc have I read on this site? If you thieve in the daylight when no one is home you are a nasty piece of shit sneak thief if you break into occupied homes at midnight, you are gambling with your life or the life of the occupant. sorry no pity for the dead guy, not cause he is Chinese but because I don t know if he was just a thief, a rapist thief or a rapist murdering thief. I do know he won t do it again though.
That's why Santa Clause will not be coming to your house tonight.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I know what you are saying Ant.
I just wish that same attitude was held so absolutely against those rich powerful thieving killing bastards who steal public and private property in front of everybody's eyes every day, - killing by pollution, selling bad drugs legally, reckless warfare, corruption by business nobles etc etc etc, All over the world in plain sight everyday.
Just shoot em'. (nb, i'm making a point here, not to be taken literally)

But you don't generally get that from most fiercely vigilant household protectors. They only thing they think is worth shooting for is their own personal private property. Some/many/most?? That's what i see anyway.
Also, this argument pre-supposes equal gun owning rights for (nearly) everybody, if it is to be just.
Very very few people think that would be a good idea for Cambodia - certainly not the PM and the vast majority of the people.
Thank god.

Once again - i can understand your point and i do give it some validity - but i think the rule of law is the best way forward for cambodia despite the challenges. And you can't be too selective about that.

Ps - there is such a thing as measured, appropriate response to this situation especially if you are holding the guns - in most situations. Shooting to kill burglars automatically is against the law almost everywhere.
That's the problem, some gun owners go straight to execution. Not legal, not necessary and quite frankly - barbaric. In the eyes of most of civilisation anyway.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Brody wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:22 pm Oh come on. We don't know any of the circumstances surrounding the burglary.
Brody wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:22 pm He was outnumbered and who's to say that one or both of the burglars didn't lunge at him with some kind of weapon or blunt object like a crowbar or something?
So which is true?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:18 pm
Brody wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:22 pm who's to say that one or both of the burglars didn't lunge at him with some kind of weapon or blunt object like a crowbar or something?
So which is true?
We don't know........that was my point. My comment above was counter to your supposition that he should have just peaceably disarmed them or shot them in the knees, or whatever it was you wrote.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:40 pm
What about the law that says you are not allowed to shoot people dead for that?
I've heard that it's legal to kill someone if they are in the process of committing an aggravated burglary here.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

Sitting in Kansas at 235am reading about shooting a guy in the leg...so funny.
My 1911 .45 would put a hole in his leg you could put your fist through..he would bleed to death in seconds..my winchester 12 gauge defender with 3 inch mags with 00 steel pellets would take the leg off...my Chinese made AK-47 with Russian ammo in a 30 shot mag would do the least damage.
It is called...the hold your ground law.
The Sheriff aint coming except to find my corpse.
If I feel threatened, I can defend myself.
Of course, there are states who are run by idiots who prosecute people who defend themselves.
I also know of homeowners who have been robbed and then set up an ambush for the next burglar.
It is impossible to know what is in the burglar's mind who has broken in at midnight.
This is a far cry from just executing folks for late noodles. wrong party hat, or white collar crime.
But, it certainly explains why governments are so keen on disarming the public.
I will be back in Siem Reap in a few weeks.. without firearms wishing I had at least my 1911 under my pillow.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:59 pm I know what you are saying Ant.
I just wish that same attitude was held so absolutely against those rich powerful thieving killing bastards who steal public and private property in front of everybody's eyes every day, - killing by pollution, selling bad drugs legally, reckless warfare, corruption by business nobles etc etc etc, All over the world in plain sight everyday.
Just shoot em'. (nb, i'm making a point here, not to be taken literally)

But you don't generally get that from most fiercely vigilant household protectors. They only thing they think is worth shooting for is their own personal private property. Some/many/most?? That's what i see anyway.
Also, this argument pre-supposes equal gun owning rights for (nearly) everybody, if it is to be just.
Very very few people think that would be a good idea for Cambodia - certainly not the PM and the vast majority of the people.
Thank god.

Once again - i can understand your point and i do give it some validity - but i think the rule of law is the best way forward for cambodia despite the challenges. And you can't be too selective about that.

Ps - there is such a thing as measured, appropriate response to this situation especially if you are holding the guns - in most situations. Shooting to kill burglars automatically is against the law almost everywhere.
That's the problem, some gun owners go straight to execution. Not legal, not necessary and quite frankly - barbaric. In the eyes of most of civilisation anyway.
If one or two is breaking into my home when it is unoccupied and I return and catch them there is no excuse for shooting I agree completely. I do not own anything that I would take someone's life to keep. If a loved one was inside, it is a whole different ball game.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic