Border Guard Explodes Himself with Fishing Bomb

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Border Guard Explodes Himself with Fishing Bomb

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Ratanakkiri, Cambodia News: On December 20, 2019, an Andong Meas district border official accidentally detonated a bomb, which exploded and injured him.

The victim was identified as a 45-year-old male military officer in the 2nd Battalion of Battalion 102: the border guard station of Andong Meas District.

The victim was making homemade bombs to kill fish in the Sesan River, which is located near the border station. He was getting into a boat to go fishing, when he dropped a bomb into the boat where it exploded.

After the explosion, the military officers stationed at the post rushed the victim to the medical center. The victim was seriously injured and had to be taken to the provincial hospital at Banlung for emergency treatment.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Border Guard Explodes Himself with Fishing Bomb

Post by DaveG »

Lol, it just gets better every day, just when you think you has seen and heard it all, a copper making bombs to go fishing , ffs, not sure if I missed it but iv never heard of any plod from the Met chucking IED’s in the Thames to catch a few perch !!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

DaveG wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:38 am Lol, it just gets better every day, just when you think you has seen and heard it all, a copper making bombs to go fishing , ffs, not sure if I missed it but iv never heard of any plod from the Met chucking IED’s in the Thames to catch a few perch !!
Englsih police dont need to. they get free macdonalds. Its no accident all the ambulances and police cars wait at service stations with burgers....They got in trouble for it a few years back for not delaring the perk for tax.
I went out with a copper onece. free entry to night clubs, one or 2 complimentary drinks from the bouncers. he got really upset when we went to a lap dancing club and they would not accept his warrant card as a :get in free" pass. Ahh the joys of life ina totally uncorrupt western nation....
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

pczz wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:05 am
DaveG wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:38 am Lol, it just gets better every day, just when you think you has seen and heard it all, a copper making bombs to go fishing , ffs, not sure if I missed it but iv never heard of any plod from the Met chucking IED’s in the Thames to catch a few perch !!
Englsih police dont need to. they get free macdonalds. Its no accident all the ambulances and police cars wait at service stations with burgers....They got in trouble for it a few years back for not delaring the perk for tax.
I went out with a copper onece. free entry to night clubs, one or 2 complimentary drinks from the bouncers. he got really upset when we went to a lap dancing club and they would not accept his warrant card as a :get in free" pass. Ahh the joys of life ina totally uncorrupt western nation....
There is a slight difference between a free Big Mac and making bombs, well in my world there is, maybe I haven’t been here long enough yet !!!
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Stiliko »

Instant karma. Why waste time catching them the old fashioned way when you can just toss in a stick and pick up the spoils?. Lazy bastard. Lesson learned? Nah
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Hopefully somebody will give the guy a fishing rod to use in the future
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

DaveG wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:12 am
There is a slight difference between a free Big Mac and making bombs, well in my world there is, maybe I haven’t been here long enough yet !!!
Point is Cambodian Police get paid a pittance and have to go fishing to eat or supplement their income, which is why they make the bombs, easy way to catch lot of fish to sell. If someone gave them free big macs and beer and a big salary for operating speed traps like in UK they probabaly wouldn't bother :-)
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

pczz wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:18 pm
DaveG wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:12 am
Point is Cambodian Police get paid a pittance and have to go fishing to eat or supplement their income, which is why they make the bombs, easy way to catch lot of fish to sell. If someone gave them free big macs and beer and a big salary for operating speed traps like in UK they probabaly wouldn't bother :-)
I don't think that's the reason why they make fishing bombs. They could use a net or set up some kind of trap. Using bombs to fish is just pure laziness. If someone gave them free big macs, beer and a big salary, they would probably find a way to cut down more trees and sell the timber to either Thailand or Vietnam.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Probably a mix of the above ^^^ laziness, poor pay, and modern but well established cultural practice. (for cops and army)
personally, I'm just taking the rare bit of schadenfreude when i can get it.
:mrgreen:, fart
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

This story again reminds us that you don't necessarily need a long neck to be a goose.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic