Help needed in Battambang

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
lighthouse
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Help needed in Battambang

Post by lighthouse »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:55 pm It might be a total coincidence that the OP calls himself lighthouse and is going to Battambang, but my question about whether he/she is going to join Lighthouse Battambang religious school, was not intended as missionary flaming :head shot: .
My point was that if the OP is a member of the Lighthouse mission group, then surely the school in Battambang will organise the arrival of the OP and find some accomodation, help with local problems, visa, paperwork, and anything else.
@OP If you are not a member of this religious group and this has nothing to do with you, then disregard my post as OT. But if you are, then I would imagine that they have a help structure in place for newbies such as yourself.
That's lovely, Anchor Moy. I'm a teacher so I might try to get in contact with them.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

lighthouse wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:52 pm I'm planning to move to Battambang mid/end of January 2020. I've never been there before but I think I'll like it. Well, I've never been to Cambodia at all for that matter.
Just curious OP but given you haven't been here before, wondering why you've singled out Battambang?

If you haven't already picked up a teaching contract or something there, I'm thinking it might be good to travel and get to know some of the places around Cambodia before settling..
lighthouse
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by lighthouse »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:45 pm
lighthouse wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:52 pm I'm planning to move to Battambang mid/end of January 2020. I've never been there before but I think I'll like it. Well, I've never been to Cambodia at all for that matter.
Just curious OP but given you haven't been here before, wondering why you've singled out Battambang?

If you haven't already picked up a teaching contract or something there, I'm thinking it might be good to travel and get to know some of the places around Cambodia before settling..
Thank you for your reply, Clutchcargo!

Why Battambang?
  • I do not want to live in the capital
  • I do not want to live in a village
  • I do not want to live in a (too) touristic place (i.e. seaside)
  • I think Battambang has the right size
  • I googled nice places to settle down and Battambang was one of the picks
  • I don't have time to spend traveling around, although I'd love it. I have five cats to relocate and don't want them spending more time than the necessary in the cattery
BUT, this said, I'm completely open to suggestions. Pros and cons of Battambang if someone has them, please.

Looking forward to your reply.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

There is very little to do in Battambang.

Consider Siem Reap rather, it’s very westernized and the expat Facebook groups are incredibly helpful.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

lighthouse wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:02 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:45 pm

Thank you for your reply, Clutchcargo!

Why Battambang?
  • I do not want to live in the capital
  • I do not want to live in a village
  • I do not want to live in a (too) touristic place (i.e. seaside)
  • I think Battambang has the right size
  • I googled nice places to settle down and Battambang was one of the picks
  • I don't have time to spend traveling around, although I'd love it. I have five cats to relocate and don't want them spending more time than the necessary in the cattery
BUT, this said, I'm completely open to suggestions. Pros and cons of Battambang if someone has them, please.

Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks OP for that.

I haven't been there myself but seems to me it ticks all the criteria boxes you have there. I'm sure other members may have views on Battambang itself or other similar alternatives. Good luck!
lighthouse
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by lighthouse »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:06 pm There is very little to do in Battambang.

Consider Siem Reap rather, it’s very westernized and the expat Facebook groups are incredibly helpful.
Thank you very much for your advice, Rozzieoz!

BUT I'm a very quiet (boring) person. I don't like party or going out at night.

PLUS I'm not moving to a new country to live in a westernized town, sorry. I'd like to embrace the local culture. I might not like it at all and end up moving to Siem Reap though...
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Sounds like Battambang is the right place for you. Siem Reap is the worst suggestion for someone looking to avoid tourists.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

I have lived in Siem Reap for many years and have also been to Battambong. Although its true there are many tourists in Siem Reap this has both positive and negative sides. On the positive side, it means there are many restaurants with a wide variety of cuisine. If you dislike or are bored with local food there are choices. There is also a wide variety of accommodation choices and many hotels desperate for business. The tourists themselves are easily avoided by living out of the town centre and they can provide an amusing spectator sport. Although Battambong is the second largest city in Cambodia there is not really much there and limited choices when it comes to food. There would be less people who speak English than Siem Reap. Another important factor is that Siem Reap has an international airport. The only way to get to Battambong is by bus, taxi, or boat.

I would suggest keeping your options open - go and have a look at Battambong, Siem Reap and perhaps other places. If you really want to get away from it all consider Mondulkiri or Preah Vihear.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Lovely town, and interesting too. Only been their once tho'.
I came in for supplies after a month alone on the lake. A bit spaced out, understandably.
3 nights, 2 days. June, drizzly, cool, quiet, nice. 'Probably about the only kind of civilisation i could have really appreciated at the time.

Leaving town. Motodop to the bus station. Guesthouse regular driver, english speaking, 35-ish,
Slow town, slow ride. Half way, the driver cocks his head and says quite clearly, openly, and without hint of malice..

- You know, when KR come back i kill you.
long pause to let that sink in
- Not personal, you are foreigner, nothing, i kill you. Foreigner no should be in Cambodia.
absolutely no hint of malice, statement of fact.

We are at the bus station so now it's face to face
- I from Pailin. KR coming back. foreigner no should be in Cambodia. i kill you then.
Firm, quietly confident, relaxed, no hint of malice, pressed white shirt, good english. I gave him the usual tip.

and then I went back out onto that big big lake again, still a bit spaced out with those long slow thoughts you get out there..
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I lived in Battambang about five or more years ago, I found it to be a very nice place, and very laid back and the traffic at the time was not too busy, no where near as chaotic like Phnom Penh or Siam Reap. I found a western style apartment near the Build Bright University and Wat Porti Vong just a little way out of the centre. The local people were friendly, the young people seemed to have good education, I used to visit the Polytechnic Institute from time to time as the tutors and students had set up an interesting aquaponics system (one of my interests). At the time, also there was a small number of expats living around the town and some running their businesses, such was a variety of good restaurants, but mainly good food. Khmer food, obviously this is Cambodia, on the riverside you can eat cheaply late on in the cool air of the evening. One of my favourite restaurants (although I have again many) was the Jaan Bai on road no2 away from the side of the market. Jaan Bai has tremendous home cooked Khmer food the best I have ever tasted, a little pricy but worth the money. There is also a good variety of western foods Pizza and Pastas, and Indian restaurants. But still not much happening after 10pm, but the places I eat in Phnom Penh close at this time.
Anywhere can be boring for some, but I think it depends more on yourself keeping busy with hobbies or some interest or pastime. Out of town are the bat caves and Temple on the hill, well worth the view alone. That's on Highway 57 and so is cool water lake where I used to go swimming, there is no cost and again restaurant beside the lake.
Its a good place Battambang, I hope you enjoy the place like I did.
:hattip:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic