Help needed in Battambang

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
lighthouse
Expatriate
Cambodia

Help needed in Battambang

Post by lighthouse »

Hi there,

I'm planning to move to Battambang mid/end of January 2020. I've never been there before but I think I'll like it. Well, I've never been to Cambodia at all for that matter. And of course I don't speak the language.

I'd like to hire someone -ideally a native Khmer speaker with a good level of English. I'd like that person to spend with me a good week helping me find a rental, showing me around, helping me with any red tape I might need to go through, explaining things to me... I can't think of anything else I might need to do. Perhaps you can help me out with that as well.

In anycase I'd like that to be a trustworthy/reliable person with a good level of education, a vehicle on their own and as inexpensive as posible. Can anyone here suggest some names and a brief description of the person? And what would be a fair price to pay them, either by day or by hour, no idea how it works.

I take you'll PM me?

Thanks in advance!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Help needed in Battambang

Post by pczz »

The chance of getting "trustworthy/reliable person with a good level of education, a vehicle on their own and as inexpensive as posible" is pretty low.
Unless you are starting up a business there is not much red tape to worry about. Bit difficult to advise without knowing the purpose of the visit and the duration. If you intend staying a while then I would go to Phnom Penh or siem reap first and make contact with expats who work here for your initial advice
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Just go there, walk around the town for an hour, check out a few guesthouses. You'll be far better off doing it that way than having a Khmer, especially someone you don't know, leading you around.

Frankly, you may want to reconsider your plans of moving to Battambang, or even Cambodia, because you might just get the shock of your life. It doesn't work here the way you'd expect, or think it should.

But if you're hell bent on doing it your way and can accept ther agony you're sure to endure, my suggestion is to strike up a conversation with a foreigner first thing. They'll be far more helpful and efficient than any Khmer would be, especially since you don't know the language. And very possibly, it might only cost you a couple of draft beers ($1 total) for their assistance.

Lastly, to repeat, do not try getting a Khmer to help. You can thank me later.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

lighthouse wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:52 pm Hi there,

I'm planning to move to Battambang mid/end of January 2020. I've never been there before but I think I'll like it. Well, I've never been to Cambodia at all for that matter. And of course I don't speak the language.

I'd like to hire someone -ideally a native Khmer speaker with a good level of English. I'd like that person to spend with me a good week helping me find a rental, showing me around, helping me with any red tape I might need to go through, explaining things to me... I can't think of anything else I might need to do. Perhaps you can help me out with that as well.

In anycase I'd like that to be a trustworthy/reliable person with a good level of education, a vehicle on their own and as inexpensive as posible. Can anyone here suggest some names and a brief description of the person? And what would be a fair price to pay them, either by day or by hour, no idea how it works.

I take you'll PM me?

Thanks in advance!
Hello Lighthouse, Are you by any chance a relation of the California Lighthouses (below)? And are you going to Battambang on a mission ? Bringing the gospel to the Heathen ?
Welcome to Lighthouse Bible School

"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Mt 28:19-20 NASB)

Lighthouse Bible School is the biblical training arm of Lighthouse Christian Church, Sonoma, California. The mission of LBS is to train and develop Christian Leaders who are able to supernaturally demonstrate the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. LBS seeks to gather leaders to the call of God, to train them in the word of God, and then release them into the purpose of God.
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Post by hiway5 »

Stay here. http://www.senghouthotel.com/

Get friendly with the owner
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

It might be a total coincidence that the OP calls himself lighthouse and is going to Battambang, but my question about whether he/she is going to join Lighthouse Battambang religious school, was not intended as missionary flaming :head shot: .
My point was that if the OP is a member of the Lighthouse mission group, then surely the school in Battambang will organise the arrival of the OP and find some accomodation, help with local problems, visa, paperwork, and anything else.
@OP If you are not a member of this religious group and this has nothing to do with you, then disregard my post as OT. But if you are, then I would imagine that they have a help structure in place for newbies such as yourself.
lighthouse
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by lighthouse »

pczz wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:45 am The chance of getting "trustworthy/reliable person with a good level of education, a vehicle on their own and as inexpensive as posible" is pretty low.
Unless you are starting up a business there is not much red tape to worry about. Bit difficult to advise without knowing the purpose of the visit and the duration. If you intend staying a while then I would go to Phnom Penh or siem reap first and make contact with expats who work here for your initial advice
Thank you pczz!

I intend to live in Battambang for a couple of years.

Do I need to stay in PP to extend my VISA for 6 months/a year or can I do that in Battambang?

Thanks in advance!
lighthouse
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by lighthouse »

Tarndog wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:10 am Just go there, walk around the town for an hour, check out a few guesthouses. You'll be far better off doing it that way than having a Khmer, especially someone you don't know, leading you around.

Frankly, you may want to reconsider your plans of moving to Battambang, or even Cambodia, because you might just get the shock of your life. It doesn't work here the way you'd expect, or think it should.

But if you're hell bent on doing it your way and can accept ther agony you're sure to endure, my suggestion is to strike up a conversation with a foreigner first thing. They'll be far more helpful and efficient than any Khmer would be, especially since you don't know the language. And very possibly, it might only cost you a couple of draft beers ($1 total) for their assistance.

Lastly, to repeat, do not try getting a Khmer to help. You can thank me later.
Thank you for your reply, Tarndog! Very informative. I'm thanking you now.

I spent a holiday in Vietnam and REALLY loved it. I'd go to Vietnam but it's more expensive and I'm thinking of setting up a website and I think Vietnam is worse with censorship, that's why Cambodia.

No Khmer! Already forgotten about it! But what do I do when I have to sign the tenancy contract? I will need a translator, won't I? And will the foreigner help me with the signs in Khmer?

Thanks in advance.
lighthouse
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by lighthouse »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:13 am
lighthouse wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:52 pm Hi there,

I take you'll PM me?

Thanks in advance!
Hello Lighthouse, Are you by any chance a relation of the California Lighthouses (below)? And are you going to Battambang on a mission ? Bringing the gospel to the Heathen ?
Welcome to Lighthouse Bible School

"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Mt 28:19-20 NASB)

Lighthouse Bible School is the biblical training arm of Lighthouse Christian Church, Sonoma, California. The mission of LBS is to train and develop Christian Leaders who are able to supernaturally demonstrate the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. LBS seeks to gather leaders to the call of God, to train them in the word of God, and then release them into the purpose of God.
Hi Anchor Moy.

NO NO NO NO NO!!! It's just a username. I didn't know about the Lighthouse group in Battambang at all! But I'll look into it. Now I'm curious.

Thanks for your reply!
lighthouse
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by lighthouse »

hiway5 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:24 pm Stay here. http://www.senghouthotel.com/

Get friendly with the owner
Hey hey hey, Hiway5, thanks for this!

I definitely will!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic