Standard expat agreement for USA to Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Standard expat agreement for USA to Cambodia

Post by Apollo91881 »

Hello,

I’m trying to get a sense of what an expat agreement/contract would look like for an American company sending someone and their family abroad for several years. Can someone provide a sample contract for list of considerations and compensation levels?

Thank you
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Standard expat agreement for USA to Cambodia

Post by pczz »

I think you will find that standards only exist ofr government employees, armed forces and large employers. Otherwise its down to you and your boss.
What you need to make sure of is you have medical cover and remember if you are going for a long contract you will have to sell all your stuff or put it into storage so you need to earn enough to replace it when you get home. You will need a work permit, visa and you may have currency costs if you are paid at home and have to wire it out, or sending money back home if you are paid abroad. Just because living costs are lower here doesnt necessarily mean you will be spending less overall. Cannot speak for the US but where I live you usally get a premium on top of your salary for living abroad and/or free accomodation, transport, medical cover
Bedazzler!
Expatriate

Post by Bedazzler! »

I can't speak to Cambodia-specific agreements.

You would be well served to research generally what's included in international expat packages. I understand the housing allowances, schooling, health insurance, etc. are common.

Think about how to protect yourself in the event that you arrive in Cambodia and the next day the company folds or ceases its Cambodia operations and you find yourself out of a job. Do you have a guarantee that you get at least six months severance pay if fired without cause?

Or what happens if you and the family hate it or you want to quit the job? Will they have you by the balls because the contract says you have to pay back all the moving expenses they spent on you? Try to negotiate that out so you owe nothing if you're in the job 6 months or a year OR negotiate that you'd only owe a pro-rated amount if you leave during the first year, not the full amount if for example you leave after ten months.

Are the gonna move a car for you, or provide you with car and driver? Used cars are really expensive to buy in Cambodia.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

Thank you all for the ideas.
I’m not sure about the car situation yet as I’m trying to steer the agreement into something akin to a best practice.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

I can only echo the sentiments of earlier posters. Couple of things.

1. Who's name will the lease for your accommodation be in? Yours or the company's? If yours, then there could be problems if you were to leave early. Ideally, I'd look for it to be in the company's name, then any issues and deposits are with them.
2. Car & driver quite important to think about. If you get a car, I'd be inclined to ask for a driver to be included. Far better to let a Khmer deal with traffic and any issues that arrive from accidents etc.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic