Cambodia’s King Signs Controversial Treaty Defining Border With Vietnam

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Cambodia’s King Signs Controversial Treaty Defining Border With Vietnam

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Cambodia’s King Norodom Sihamoni has put into effect a treaty that would complete the demarcation line between Cambodia and neighboring Vietnam, drawing criticism from opponents of Prime Minister HE who say the move violates the country’s sovereignty.

The supplementary treaty of 2019 on border posts was signed by HE and his Vietnamese counterpart Nguyen Xuan Phuc in early October. It recognizes the legality of two documents, a 1985 supplemental protocol and a 2005 agreement on border demarcation, thereby solidifying the demarcation of 84% of the border.

The promulgation of the treaty was made through a royal decree on December 5, 2019, and the law was published Friday. The king signed the treaty at the request of HE....

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambod ... 63250.html
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Cambodia ceding more land to Vietnam? New document

Post by Jack.R. »

Not sure about this document I am having troubles getting the people around me to translate it.
Maybe you guys can do better.
Apparently it's about the confirmation of land cession to Vietnam in perpetuity.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Cambodia’s King Signs Controversial Treaty Defining Border With Vietnam

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Saw a lot of the usual rabid nationalists on FB with this earlier.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

"We are Khmer and once there is a patriotic government, we will revisit the border demarcation issue and we will cancel the 2019 treaty when there is a government and a parliament that does not kowtow to Vietnam like the government today [...]”
They failed to understand that Vietnam in 2019 isn't the same as Vietnam in 1990. Vietnam is gonna destroy Cambodia if both sides decide to solve the issue (or any other issues) using violence.

"He added that the new treaty should never have been drafter or promulgated because the country has not yet achieved national unity [...]"
30 years and more than 3 billion dollars later and national unity is, according to him, still non-existent. Don't fuck with Vietnam then. Let them have whatever they want. Ask for some free electricity in return instead!

The average Cambodian gets pissed off at Vietnam/ Cambodian king for some land he/ she probably didn't even know existed yesterday, but no one is outraged by the blatant income disparities, the lack of infrastructure, an almost inaccessible healthcare system, an education system that churns out absolutely worthless workers, and seaside cities that are now as attractive as Treblinka. I didn't even mention land grabbing, poaching, or illegal logging... But yea. Let's get riled up because some Iranian fool pointed out the obvious. Thai actress said Angkor Wat belonged to Thailand? Let's burn down the Thai embassy!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

About every young Khmer on my Facebook have been posting lots of similar nationalistic fear mongering propaganda this week.

Most of whom I've not seen make overt statements on political issues before.

This is my favorite of today so far:

http://www.khmer-readers.com/latest/int ... -zhgluzxkw
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

One only has to imagine a Cambodia that included the tonle mekong delta and giant island off the coast of Kampot I like to refer to as Koh Choi Mai to see their point.
I feel there are 2 countries putting the big squeeze now.
Years ago I read Michener's book Poland and I will never forget the maps showing several hundred years of changing borders.
The world is in a constant state of change.
Darwin was right.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There's all this fuss about tiny amounts of land that hasn't been demarcated in border areas. Then some foreign company gets a 99 year lease on a huge concession and nobody says anything.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Queef wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:44 am "We are Khmer and once there is a patriotic government, we will revisit the border demarcation issue and we will cancel the 2019 treaty when there is a government and a parliament that does not kowtow to Vietnam like the government today [...]”
They failed to understand that Vietnam in 2019 isn't the same as Vietnam in 1990. Vietnam is gonna destroy Cambodia if both sides decide to solve the issue (or any other issues) using violence.

"He added that the new treaty should never have been drafter or promulgated because the country has not yet achieved national unity [...]"
30 years and more than 3 billion dollars later and national unity is, according to him, still non-existent. Don't fuck with Vietnam then. Let them have whatever they want. Ask for some free electricity in return instead!

The average Cambodian gets pissed off at Vietnam/ Cambodian king for some land he/ she probably didn't even know existed yesterday, but no one is outraged by the blatant income disparities, the lack of infrastructure, an almost inaccessible healthcare system, an education system that churns out absolutely worthless workers, and seaside cities that are now as attractive as Treblinka. I didn't even mention land grabbing, poaching, or illegal logging... But yea. Let's get riled up because some Iranian fool pointed out the obvious. Thai actress said Angkor Wat belonged to Thailand? Let's burn down the Thai embassy!
Its not just in Cambodia, This is part of a nationalism that is present everyhwere. Look at the Uk recent election. people voted for the party that had been cutting infrastructure , police hospitals, schools for the last 10 years becasue they wanted to take control of immigration. Its more to do with the success of the nationalists in concentrating the people onto the subject of their choice, usually race, to the extent that they ignore everything else.
I do not know what history Khmer are taught at school but I have been told by them that the Khmer empire owned all of vietnam south of saigon,most of Thailand and laos and the French gave it all away and then after the vietnames invasion even more was given away by the then Cambodian government. There are a few historians in here who can clear that up, but khmer are pretty pissed off about the french chopping indochina up and the governemtn hadnding more back after the fall of polpot including Phu Quoc island 9sorry, i do not know the khmer name for it). jeezus when i went in the minimart the girl i never spoke to strted going on about big problem with Vietnam and maybe war, so i guess she had seen this
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic