Is Cambodia becoming like 'land of Smiles?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Is Cambodia becoming like 'land of Smiles?

Post by Anchor Moy »

taabarang wrote:I think phuketrichard is on to something here with city mentality. It reminds me of Woody Allen's monologue which contains the following. "How do people in New York start the day? They cop an attitude and go outside." In my village the Cambodian locals do not like the big city. They find everything overpriced and the people kraeut krathom(arrogant) I usually have a good time in Phnom Penh except when I have dealing with a place that caters to foreigners, hence I avoid them as much as possible. I taught in Thailand for six months in Pitsanalok and hated it Thais told me people in the south were much nicer thus propagating another international belief. At lease in Germany, France, and the US people believe the further south you go, the more cordial people become. I never heard this about Cambodians living in the south of the country.
I'm with you on the city vs country thing. Country people I know think that PP people look down on them and laugh at them because they have dark skin, a funny accent and look like bumkins - however the majority of PPers are only 1 or 2 generations from a village in the rice paddies themselves.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Anchor Moy wrote:
taabarang wrote:I think phuketrichard is on to something here with city mentality. It reminds me of Woody Allen's monologue which contains the following. "How do people in New York start the day? They cop an attitude and go outside." In my village the Cambodian locals do not like the big city. They find everything overpriced and the people kraeut krathom(arrogant) I usually have a good time in Phnom Penh except when I have dealing with a place that caters to foreigners, hence I avoid them as much as possible. I taught in Thailand for six months in Pitsanalok and hated it Thais told me people in the south were much nicer thus propagating another international belief. At lease in Germany, France, and the US people believe the further south you go, the more cordial people become. I never heard this about Cambodians living in the south of the country.
I'm with you on the city vs country thing. Country people I know think that PP people look down on them and laugh at them because they have dark skin, a funny accent and look like bumkins - however the majority of PPers are only 1 or 2 generations from a village in the rice paddies themselves.
Too true.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

It might surprise some who have met me but I have lightning reflexes from playing state level American football. This came in handy the other night as three different prats (one in a Lexus and two on motos) tried to jump into the space I was already occupying with the tuktuk. One was being a freshie, one was texting, and one was... well, driving a Lexus. I managed to swerve, unleash tourettes at the 4WD, and get a foot out of the cabin to kick the freshie's moto. As the adrenaline settled I wondered whether this is specific to PP as a city mentality or whether it's across the country. Thoughts?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

Cambodia becoming like Thailand is increasingly a complaint by expats, and I have to agree in some things it is. It's still very far from Thailand though.
I don't think Khmers are that nice or ever were. They're just good at being calm and smiling, especially when they have some financial interest in being nice to you.
That said a few of them truly are really nice, but I would say at least 50% of them are pretty vicious, highly egotistic people.
You see this when you travel together with them in taxis, in almost all trips I've done with khmers there was at least one huge a**hole in the group.
Foreigners tend to be much more polite, Khmers among themselves can be really rude and obnoxious. They'll be nice if a foreigner is around though.
As for Sri Lanka, don't expect to like it after Cambodia, it's really a whole different culture, and most Sri Lankan younger women will treat you like you don't exist.
The only nice ladies in Sri Lanka were the fat old ladies who were super kind.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

wow, almost 4 years and so much has changed

new visa regulations almost similar to Thailand BUT more strict.
wp required now
lese majesté laws
Fast food outlets
expensive
weird laws concerning owing 2nd hand bikes
one party goverment
inexpensive 10 year passport for Locals

but still fucked laws concerning getting married if ur over 50

Dont shoot the messenger....
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Unfortunately, still no CRC for WP/Retirement visa.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

General Mackevili wrote: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:00 am
Georgina wrote:
Cambodia, at least in the city, is starting to feel too much like the rest of the world.
The traffic alone can make one feel like this.
The traffic in Phnom Penh is unlike anywhere else in the world. The density, perhaps, the character, no.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

What a silly post

Phnom Penh is getting a makeover in parts and Aeon mall is no more expensive than the older Soria mall near Central market.

The Cambodians are still sweet and super smiley and friendly especially of when you get out of the City.

I would have to say I find the people amongst the friendliest and easiest going in SEA. And of course there may be the odd non smiley one but be realistic people, they may have good reason to be so.
doktor_d
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by doktor_d »

Gotta agree with ShnoukieBRO. If you find Cambodians in general vicious, highly egoistic people, I don't know where you hang out. GSM maybe? Having traveled all the countries provinces the last 10 years, I would struggle to name another country with friendlier, more curious and talkative people than Cambodia. Laos comes close.. maybe the less visited provinces of Thailand should get a mention.. but for me, Cambodia tops the list.
Alcohol is necessary so that a man can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I seriously wonder why people who continually bitch about Cambodia, and simultaneously boast about their secure finances, stay here.

Oohh, so and so is better than Cambodia. So why stay here or visit so frequently?

I can understand people who are trapped here because of lack of finances or whatever whining and not leaving, but the well-off?

I think it's an expat condition, some people are just not happy unless they are bitching, and tbh, a lot of it is racially motivated, or based on a colonial mindset.

If you don't like it here, and you can leave, please do, and spare us the constant whining or comparison with America/EU, or wherever.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic