reliable/trustworthy agent for helping with car purchase?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: reliable/trustworthy agent for helping with car purchase?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

^^^^^^^

So is there any need for an agent to purchase a new car then? Wouldn't the new car dealer organise the rego anyway?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

pczz wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:00 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:10 am
you wont know how, where to do ur registration and they will assist you.
A separate moto thread said a barang cannot register an existing registered moto in their own name...leaving new and imported not previously registered motos only.

I gather from the above links this does not apply to used, registered cars?
I think it applies to all vehicles. If you want to see how the cares are "prepared"for sale take look in the road behind Thai Hout supermarket on monivong near the senate, or Depo market. if that doesn't put you off a used vehicle nothing will!
used cars can be put in a barangs name
using Cnm they will run a auto check for you ( something a dealer wont), they will have a reliable mechanic look at the car, (something a dealer wont). The will locate a car for you on ur budget /specs (something a dealer wont).
For me, after looking at cars before at dealers and on the streets, ( 108 area) its well worth the small amount they charge to get a good car.
up to you...

New cars....no agent needed at all,( i wonder how many barangs buy new cars in Cambodia?)
Last edited by phuketrichard on Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

For me, there's no way I would ever consider a second hand car in Cambodia. if I were on a budget I'd choose a new Avanza over an eight year old Camry with unknown history any day.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:37 pm For me, there's no way I would ever consider a second hand car in Cambodia. if I were on a budget I'd choose a new Avanza over an eight year old Camry with unknown history any day.
Well. There's always a VIN number... but you don't wanna run a carfax. You don't. Could you imagine buying a 10 year old Camry that previously crashed on some north american freeway for $18k and up? If the car wasn't salvaged, it's because it was (in most cases) too fucked up to be driven safely. That's just the information that's readily available (for a fee, of course).

The same car will then be sent to countries like Cambodia where a former pharmacist/ gardener turned mechanic will put the whole car back together... That's crazy, right? Right. The said Camry was probably playing General Lee in the mean streets of PP and Monster Jam in the province over Pchum Ben... That, however, we will never know.

2007 Camry, upgrade 2016. Thmey Thmey brother. 99%. New LV cushions and LED blinkers. ABS sometimes. PM for price.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Why do you need a car ? You don't need a car. Now make a list of reasons why you and the other 2 billion people on earth don't own a car or need a car.. It's just another piece of junk that ties you to a life system that drags you down.

It's nearly 2020 , so make the decision now to not own a car or buy oil off the Arabs to fund their lifestyle, and us greenies can help save the world.
Spoiler:
:stir:
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Queef wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:08 pm
Kammekor wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:37 pm For me, there's no way I would ever consider a second hand car in Cambodia. if I were on a budget I'd choose a new Avanza over an eight year old Camry with unknown history any day.
Well. There's always a VIN number... but you don't wanna run a carfax. You don't. Could you imagine buying a 10 year old Camry that previously crashed on some north american freeway for $18k and up? If the car wasn't salvaged, it's because it was (in most cases) too fucked up to be driven safely. That's just the information that's readily available (for a fee, of course).

The same car will then be sent to countries like Cambodia where a former pharmacist/ gardener turned mechanic will put the whole car back together... That's crazy, right? Right. The said Camry was probably playing General Lee in the mean streets of PP and Monster Jam in the province over Pchum Ben... That, however, we will never know.

2007 Camry, upgrade 2016. Thmey Thmey brother. 99%. New LV cushions and LED blinkers. ABS sometimes. PM for price.
NEEDS to be done if buying a used car in Cambodia, https://www.experian.com/automotive/autocheck-business

Accidents
Mileage
Title brands such as salvaged or rebuilt title
Problems with the odometer such as rollback or broken odometer
Frame damage
Water damage
Whether the vehicle has been branded as a lemon
Whether the vehicle has ever been stolen or repossessed
Whether the vehicle has ever been used as a police or taxi vehicle

For me a car is freedom, always had one, i love to travel and cant be bothered with taxi's, bus's and such as i want stop where I want stop. Cant imagine living here or when i move without one

to each their own
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

A Toyota Avanza will provide you with freedom with a 100k km Or 5 year warranty for the same price as a jacked Camry.

But indeed, to each their own.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:07 pm
Queef wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:08 pm

NEEDS to be done if buying a used car in Cambodia, https://www.experian.com/automotive/autocheck-business

Accidents
Mileage
Title brands such as salvaged or rebuilt title
Problems with the odometer such as rollback or broken odometer
Frame damage
Water damage
Whether the vehicle has been branded as a lemon
Whether the vehicle has ever been stolen or repossessed
Whether the vehicle has ever been used as a police or taxi vehicle

For me a car is freedom, always had one, i love to travel and cant be bothered with taxi's, bus's and such as i want stop where I want stop. Cant imagine living here or when i move without one

to each their own
Well buying a car in Cambodia (second hand) is pretty much buying a lemon that no one in his/ her right mind would buy in north america. 9/10 times the carfax report will be horrifying.

Yea a car is freedom if there's is a decent road system, and if motorists are somewhat intelligent and can respect basic traffic rules. It isn't the case In Cambodia. Driving here is stressful and tiring.

As for the Avanza VS the jacked up Camry, most people will go for the jacked up 2007 Camry (accessories not included: Iphone 11 glued to the driver's hand, plastic surgery, bling bling, tinted windows to avoid losing face when driving like a fucking idiot, and fake Brembo brake pads) for status reasons.

Don't buy a car in Cambodia. You won't need it.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I've driven many of Cambodian roads over the past 15 years, back when many were hard packed dirt, now most are paved. Some are terrible, some are very good.
I often do trips thru thailand and Laos an just cause i will be moving to Cambodia, doesn't mean i will give up my trips.

Kinda of crazy to say, "Don't buy a car in Cambodia. You won't need it"

we all have different wants/desires/needs
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:53 pm A Toyota Avanza will provide you with freedom with a 100k km Or 5 year warranty for the same price as a jacked Camry.

But indeed, to each their own.
How much is the Avanza?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic