26Yo British LEWIS DAVIES Dies in Riverside Backpackers

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: 26Yo British LEWIS DAVIES Dies in Riverside Backpackers

Post by Anchor Moy »

King Keil wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:20 pm
pczz wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:49 am
King Keil wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:31 am Wales must be in a terrible state. If you can't get 10000 pounds from friends or a bank, can't imagine living in a place like that.
You go to the UK and try to get it. banks only lend you money when you dont need it, when you do they tell you you are too poor to pay it back! Wales has nothign to do with it, its just tightfisted ripoff bankers
I highly doubt that. In Germany everybody who is working can get a loan easily. With such a small amount they would only do a very basic background check.
These people have just lost their 26-year-old son in a foreign country. Remarks about their bank accounts or their friends are not really relevent or in good taste. Yes, he should have had insurance, but no, he didn't. Flying the body home is not always the best option, but it's up to them. It's hard to make decisions when someone dies unexpectedly like this.
Sincere condolences to the family and especially to the partner of the deceased.
jaggop
Expatriate
Denmark

Post by jaggop »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:26 am That's very young. And without the usual drug paraphernalia to explain it away.

So, to confirm, this is another 'heart attack', "possibly" by epilepsy?
Lewis, or JD as he preferred to be called, did not do drugs. Unfortunately, including the legal drugs that would help him controlling seizures.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

jaggop wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:35 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:26 am That's very young. And without the usual drug paraphernalia to explain it away.

Lewis, or JD as he preferred to be called, did not do drugs. Unfortunately, including the legal drugs that would help him controlling seizures.
I was on this story early and prior to his epileptic status being confirmed. I would not have alluded to any drugs if I had known, but in my defence I was just raising the issue of sloppy cause of death announcements, especially in those so young.
My condolences to the family.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Condoleances to the family.

Reading the Lord of Rings whilst vacationning in Cambodia. At least he had some good times before it.

Rest in peace.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

jaggop wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:35 pm

That's sad.

R.I.P.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

Poor kid rest in peace..

Anybody who knows Lord of the Rings knows it is 3 volumes...that is just a notebook with perhaps his journal in it.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Ghostwriter wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:55 pm Condoleances to the family.

Reading the Lord of Rings whilst vacationning in Cambodia. At least he had some good times before it.

Rest in peace.

I am not religious, but amen.
You could be next.
Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Terry Fishsauce »

In these cases I always just feel bad for the family spending a substantial amount of money (that they don't have) to bring a lifeless corpse home.
jaggop
Expatriate
Denmark

Post by jaggop »

OK, JD was a dear friend. Me, him and his partner were going to run Riverside Backpackers together. We were literally together every single awake hour every day for the last 3 weeks. It is not a feeling that he did not do drugs. It is a fact. He would not have had the time to go and get them. We were here and hosting together whenever we were not sleeping.

So, kindly take any suggestion that drugs were involved and shove them where they belong.

JD was the kindest, most loving, funniest person I and many others have ever met in our life. I have been in the country for 5 years, I have seen people OD, and this a f'ing exception to the rule. 1 out of 1000 people with epilepsy dies from seizures every year, so while uncommon, he was 26, 26:1000 is still 2.6%.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE
Some more encouraging news from the Davies family says that they have contacted a Welsh organization called REST which deals with assisting families whose loved ones die overseas. The association has agreed to donate the rest of the money necessary for the repatriation of Lewis' body home to Wales.

REST is a repatriation service trust and a registered charity. They offer advice, support and financial assistance to Welsh families who lose a relative overseas unexpectedly.
https://repatriationservicestrust.org
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic