GoFundMe Generation

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: GoFundMe Generation

Post by atst »

Don't feed the pigeons/seagulls and they will go away
If nobody gave them money they will soon get tied of asking for it.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:32 am government take money from me
it's not really yours

you are part of a larger system

https://www.taxjustice.net/2014/10/08/m ... snt-theft/

monstra mihi bona!
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

atst wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:31 am If nobody gave them money they will soon get tied of asking for it.
The trouble is, some idiot(s) will always give them money.
You could be next.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Yerg wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:40 am Picked up from many recent examples of people from various generations and many backgrounds/lifestyles. The whole concept of asking others to pay for things that you don't have the money to pay for yourself.

Now, call me old-fashioned, however I was always brought up on the principal that if you couldn't afford it, you don't buy it. Perhaps I'm now considered a dinosaur on this score, but what are the views of the balance of the community on this?

Let's leave the beg-packer twats out of this. These are just a bunch of entitled assholes who want everything for nothing. Actually, screw that, let's discuss these scroungers too.

Over to you...
I would not call you old fashioned that's how we were taught, if you did not have the cash, leave it alone and save up for it. How many of you ignored this golden rule and then fell foul to the lenders, many years ago I did this with buying a Vehicle, and passed the knowledge on to my children, what I myself had ignored, firstly borrowing costs you more because you usually do not have the monies to pay for what you want, interest rates, bank possibly being the lower end of repayments, if they reject you, forget all about it, lone companies being next (none payment) Bailiffs may be involved to recover some costs, then the lone shark with the higher end rates and a few big guys calling round to see when your going to pay, while you put the kettle on and make them a nice cup of tea. Simple I want to borrow some money dad, for a car, the answer what about insurance tax and fuel, no problem the first two are in with the money I want to borrow. What happens when it wants a repair or it is broken down, think about the worse you can't afford it, the result 9 times out of 10 if unlucky (I also learnt not to be a gambler) you pay back for something you don't have. Only legal option is work and save up for what you want to buy, or if you have to get credit or lone, have monies to back yourself up if something happens to go wrong, still that equates to being to pay yourself out of the shit, hopefully in full.

Credit card can be very useful, buy the goods pay it off in full on the date payment is due, interest free in most cases. credit cards also come with insurance to cover those purchased goods, and sometimes travel insurance.

Go fund me - Relatively new to me, you would expect the person whom is asking for help has no means left to borrow, or it is some good cause to justify someone paying into that fund. I only read of them trough this site and don't go looking for them, because I mainly, selfishly fund myself.

Charities and organisations, usually are registered, such as a non-profit organization, they follow the laws of the country, and are of a good cause, and don't pay tax on donations, but notice most are run by someone wealthy or of repeatable standing, also they useuly get paid for what they do, donations for a good cause I agree with, and payment is freely given, example of a good cause relating to this country is the likes of Halo Trust, who deal with mine clearance. Today I read their news.

200 years of working for HALO Cambodia

“The whole of the country, including children being born today, owe a debt of gratitude to you for the work you have done throughout your lives to make Cambodia safer and more prosperous.”
Damian O’Brien, Cambodia Programme Manager

Cambodia is HALO’s second oldest programme, established 28 years ago in response to the devastating accident rate caused by the thousands of landmines laid during the ousting of the Khmer Rouge in 1979 and throughout the 80s and 90s.
Thanks to the dedication of our team of Cambodian staff, around half of the country’s minefields have now been cleared. Last week we were honoured to celebrate the loyalty and outstanding contribution of eight of our longest serving Cambodian team. Between them, they have amassed over 200 years of working for HALO. Their skills and expertise have saved countless lives. The work they do is challenging, spending weeks at a time out in the field which requires them to display great physical and mental discipline to conduct their job safely and efficiently.
Over the years, they have not only passed on their knowledge and wisdom to hundreds of Cambodian colleagues, but also to the many international HALO staff who begin their training in Cambodia.
The incredible contribution of our Cambodian colleagues was marked at a special event in Phnom Penh attended by the British Ambassador, Tina Redshaw, the US Deputy Chief of Mission, Michael Newbill and senior representatives of the Cambodian Mine Action Authority.

"Your commitment to the cause of humanitarian mine action is an inspiration. Today belongs to you, but your work ensures that tomorrow belongs to Cambodia."
US Deputy Chief of Mission, Michael Newbill

https://www.halotrust.org/latest/halo-u ... -cambodia/

The beg-packer- Again only made aware of them on this forum, new trend, begging I think would be only a very last resort, not something to gain a person in further travel plans, again the person should have adequate funds for their trip or adventure. I don't actually believe they have not in some cases because some countries have vagrancy laws, so in many cases I would think them has scroungers, due to many will be moving on to the next destination, if I was without I would go back to the safety net of my homeland.

I like many of the expats here have worked and saved, and so on, too give me the chance of being here, but I have been involved with various conversations, once someone asked me about qualifying for the state pension, how many years that you should have worked, I replied 30 to 35 if I am correct. A person from another table overhearing the conversation "said, why worry the government has to pay you anyway" I have hardly worked and I am here. I have also met a few on disability and incapacity benefits with so called illnesses. The best one was of a young lady on her regular travels, receiving incapacity benefits for her related drug problem, saying she must be back in the UK for her evaluation of her health, and if she can prove she is unfit for work she can make her new travel plans because the money is good.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:41 am In my earlier life I had a boss who was an ex police superintendent who once said 'crime (as in burglary) is good coz it's a redistribution of wealth in society'. I was astounded at the time he said that but I suppose..he would say that wouldn't he? ..as it kept him in a job.

Bringing this anecdote up coz maybe there are similarities here of money redistribution..
That is exactly the Khmer perspective of barang, we're just here for wealth redistribution. What's funny is that in their own minds, they never become wealthy, and can then always claim to be deserving of redistribution, whether received by legal or illegal means.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

k*rm*geddon wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:28 am Look no further than the consensus Democrat platform for 2020 ... free everything, including a generous monthly stipend whether you feel like working or not.
Don't get this. If its free then someone else has donated money to pay for it. Doesnt really matter if the donations are raised through gofundme or some rich businessman so long as the donation is within the rules
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Yerg wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:14 am Blithely handing someone money through GFM is not a flaming investment.
We see that to patch up this argument that depends on your denigration of some unknown group (aka strawman), you have to insert words like blithely. How do you know it's blithely? How do you know that some due diliegence is not being applied?
Yerg wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:14 am No, it's some freeloader not prepared or unable to do the hard yards themselves.

Of course, you are not only a mind reader aware of the motives of all GFM participants, but you are an expert psychologist.
Yerg wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:14 am Have I made enough holes in your argument for you yet, or should we continue?
That you have failed to destroy my argument does not imply that continuing would not be for me like dumpster diving.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Phnom Poon wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:51 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:32 am government take money from me
it's not really yours

you are part of a larger system

https://www.taxjustice.net/2014/10/08/m ... snt-theft/
and government give you education and police protection. government give you road and build bombs to keep bad people away from you. you lucky you have good government. maybe not a perfect government but good one not like evil communist your family run away from. stop bitching about your responsibilities, freedom comes at a cost my friend and I sincerely doubt you are the kind of guy to wear dog tags and go to protect others as many Americans did for your family. And 58,220 American men and women paid a price that dolars and cents can not measure plus the untold who were wounded and disabled. I can t believe you bitch about the price of the freedom you are so f#cking lucky to enjoy.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

I am not 100% positive but that number is most likely the killed or missing US military personnel from the Vietnam war. You may want to use an example that the rest of the planet can relate to. You know, those fair sized dustups like WW1 or WW2? I freely acknowledge the Vietnam war was tragic for all sorts of reasons but few nations fought there in any substantial way and a great deal of the world (including many Americans) still feel it was a massive mistake.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic