Drunk Chinese in a Porsche Pays $4000 Damages to Tuktuk Driver

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Drunk Chinese in a Porsche Pays $4000 Damages to Tuktuk Driver

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh, Cambodia News: A Chinese man driving a Porsche along the Russian Federation Road in Phnom Penh hit a tutktuk at 11:30 pm on December 17, 2019, injuring the driver, breaking his leg, and damaging his vehicle.
According to witnesses at the scene, the white Porsche was driving fast when it hit the tuktuk from behind and overturned it. After that, the Chinese driver attempted to flee the scene of the accident, but the police arrived and stopped him. The two parties were then asked to come to an agreement over compensation for the accident.
Police said that the Chinese man was clearly drunk and in the wrong, and eventually he offered to pay the tuktuk driver US$4,000 for medical fees and damage to the tuktuk in order to finish with the negotiations.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Drunk Chinese in a Porsche Pays $4000 Damages to Tuktuk Driver

Post by Tarndog »

Offered to pay??? WTF!?!?

I hope the tuktuk driver got the cash in full before the police left.
Khmer_Risotto
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmer_Risotto »

Tarndog wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:59 pm Offered to pay??? WTF!?!?

I hope the tuktuk driver got the cash in full before the police left.
4K is what you pay if you killed someone. If the tuk tuk driver actually got the cash, beers on him. :beer3:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Well, from where he was standing / sitting negotiating wasn't easy. The tuk tuk guy had him by the b@lls so to say.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

A brand-new tuktuk costs about $3400, so good on him to get $4K, plus presumably he'll keep the smashed one for parts or piece it out.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Never mind all that.......check out these Louis Vuitton satin sweatpants. This is some serious cutting edge Chinese fashion right here.

Anyway the 4 grand is just walking around money for this twat......that's probably what he had in his platypus hide, man-purse.

Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

He missed out on getting a good kicking from the locals too...
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Sad they just pay thier way out instead of being locked up and no loss of license if he had one, no wonder they don't give a shit
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

I know this was an accident, albeit an avoidable one but given a choice (which would be laughably impossible in a country where rich road users operate with impunity) I would very much rather have both of my legs intact and fully functional as opposed to gaining a once-off payment of $4k. It's a shameful amount in exchange for lifelong scars and I'm sure that tuktuk's repair cost will come to several hundred (or perhaps more) $.

$4k monthly for life might be tempting though.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

This is from over a year ago guys... Can we let it go?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic