Looking for car driver's license info

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Imnotasiain
Expatriate
Australia

Looking for car driver's license info

Post by Imnotasiain »

I just bought a car, but I don't want to drive illegally. How do I go about getting a Khmer driver's license?

To start off with, I have an expired driver's license that was stolen the first year I was here along with my wallet, so the simple "go to aeon 2 and show them your license" answer isnt going to help much.

I was told that I may have to go to a driving school in order to go through the process. Is there any way around this? Because I work full time during the day.

If I go to the department of transport with my 4 passport photos, proof of residency, passport and Visa, followed by the medical exam... Will they allow me to take their (apparently ridiculously worded) computer test, and just call it good?

Any first hand experience from any of you guys that found yourself or friend in this situation? I always prefer knowledge over 'well-educated' guesses.

Greatly appreciate the help and support.
Imnotasiain
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Looking for car driver's license info

Post by Imnotasiain »

:please:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Get a new license from your country or pass the exam here.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Imnotasiain wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:04 am:please:
What Kammekor said.

Or you can contact Kim. Among other things, she specializes in walking people through the drivers license process and can probably better answer your questions.

She's camped out at the transport Ministry most days of the week.

Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

Brody wrote:
Imnotasiain wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:04 am:please:
What Kammekor said.

Or you can contact Kim. Among other things, she specializes in walking people through the drivers license process and can probably better answer your questions.

She's camped out at the transport Ministry most days of the week.

Great advice! Thanks for the contact!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

You need to go to the General Department of Public Works in TK. You get the paperwork done there first, then get an appointment for the written test. It used to be only after 4pm, but this might have changed. There's now an app available to practice the written test. Afterwards, you do the practice test on their closed course (all same location). Fairly simple procedure and more transparent than ever. About $12 if memory serves right for a ten year license.

Alternatively, just the license from your home country transferred. Costs maybe $8/year or something like that.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kahuna
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kahuna »

Any info on the procedure in Siem Reap?
I havebeen pulled over 3 times now. The first time was a couple years ago and the copper just smiled and said 2. Handed over $2 and was on my way. That was in Sookyville. Now I am living in SR and it has cost me $12 each time. Not a lot but I need the licence so my insurance covers me.
Thanks for any info.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

The procedure is the same in KoWide (see what I did there?) go to Phnom Penh
up to you...
Imnotasiain
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Imnotasiain »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:30 am You need to go to the General Department of Public Works in TK. You get the paperwork done there first, then get an appointment for the written test. It used to be only after 4pm, but this might have changed. There's now an app available to practice the written test. Afterwards, you do the practice test on their closed course (all same location). Fairly simple procedure and more transparent than ever. About $12 if memory serves right for a ten year license.

Alternatively, just the license from your home country transferred. Costs maybe $8/year or something like that.
Thank you for your information. I'll look into it ASAP and update everyone following this post on if the process has changed, and the total amount that I end up spending
Imnotasiain
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Imnotasiain »

Ended up paying $300 to a driving school to skip the daily process. The written test is pretty hard for translation reasons. If you miss more than 5/40 questions, you fail. Alot of people fail the first time for the driving part of getting your license. Go to the driving lot 1 hour early, and pay $10 to be allowed to practiced and told how to pass properly. The exam is taken near aeon 2. To anybody that comes across this post years from today and has any questions feel free to ask me. I'll go into more detail on any questions you may have.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic